SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IwantaJet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 01:49 AM
Laughs at his own jokes.
Missoula, Montana, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,168 Posts
Discussion
10-18 and 19-7

I spent the tail end of last week in Billings. I talked with Andre at Art Hobby which he runs from Billings and he pointed me at what is called Sacrifice Cliffs in Google Earth. The signs on site call it the Four Dances Natural Area. The long shadow on Google Earth is a cell tower. I flew just south of it. The edge of the cliff is about a 10 min walk from the parking lot.

When I first arrived the wind seemed kind of iffy even though it was blowing all the flags straight out down in town. A bird, I think it was a Flicker, then dived out over the edge. About 15 feet out it got blown about 50' straight up and tumbled over inverted. I knew I was going to have some fun.

The lift was great. I had to dial in a bunch of down trim on my Predator Bee and Fun-1 to keep them well behaved. The lift was consistent as far up and down the cliff as I dared fly, probably 150-200 yards. The spot I stood was at the top of a small bowl in the edge of the cliff. Recovery was possible if you crashed in close, impossible in most other places.

The top was rocky and there was alot of prickly pear everywhere but landings were no problem with sturdy models. The back of the slope was even better with tall grass and sage. The iffy wind I mentioned earlier must have been the rotor, pay attention while landing.

I tried to DS the shallow backside but my DS skills are lacking so no comment on that except I wouldn't recommend going there just to DS.

I flew the next day too. It was fun but it is always more fun for me to fly with other people.
IwantaJet is offline Find More Posts by IwantaJet
to remove ads between posts