HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:07 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Discussion
EZ Bubble Dancer

Hi

I am starting a build of a Bubble dancer. I have a kit on order from Polecat aero, but it is yet to arive. I have downloaded the plans for the tail surfaces, and am building them for starters. It has been a long time since I have built a full size sail plane. I have noticed that there are no build threads on this bird... How can this be? My research would lead me to beleive that Dr. Drela designed one of the finest RES birds on the planet!

Would you like to see a build thread?

Ok, here is another question. I plan on transparent covering. Typical, but what I would like advice on, is the best brand of covering. I am o=looking for ease of use, and durability in the hot Texas sun.

Thanks

Walte
Rocketman209 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman209
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:10 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I would (like to see a build thread)..

Could it be, there hasn't been a kit since this forum took off?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:08 AM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
I would reccomend Oracover for ease of use as well as strength. There has been quite some trouble with monocote transparent in recent times.
Bob
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:57 AM
Cambridge, MA USA
Joined May 2001
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby legue
I would reccomend Oracover for ease of use as well as strength. There has been quite some trouble with monocote transparent in recent times.
Oracover and especially Monokote are much too heavy for the BD tails -- it will cause serious balance problems and possibly warps from excessive shrinking.

I very strongly recommend Ultracote Lite, for the wing as well as the tails. I got my UL from Horizon Hobby.
markdrela is offline Find More Posts by markdrela
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:19 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman209
Hi

I am starting a build of a Bubble dancer. I have a kit on order from Polecat aero, but it is yet to arive. I have downloaded the plans for the tail surfaces, and am building them for starters. It has been a long time since I have built a full size sail plane. I have noticed that there are no build threads on this bird... How can this be? My research would lead me to beleive that Dr. Drela designed one of the finest RES birds on the planet!

Ok, here is another question. I plan on transparent covering. Typical, but what I would like advice on, is the best brand of covering. I am o=looking for ease of use, and durability in the hot Texas sun.

Thanks

Walte
I downloaded and read through the EZ-BD instructions....and bought an AvA.

The EZ does look easier than a scratch build, but it dosen't look easy.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2007, 01:06 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Hi

Thanks

Walte
Walte,

If you haven't found this site yet, it would be worth visiting:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/allegro-lite/

It covers many of Dr. Drela's sailplanes including the Allegro Lite, Bubble Dancer, etc. I scratched an Allegro Lite this year with the help of the short kit from Mountain Models/Laser Arts:
http://www.mountainmodels.com

They also have a short kit for the Bubble Dancer.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to the 'EZ' version build thread.

Dion
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:01 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Thank you for all of the intrest. I hope the kit comes through from Polecat Aero, However, I will build away in hopes that the kit comes in. I realy like their Kit. The Fuse and spar are very nice. I will attempt to host a nice build thread.

I think I will order the Oracover Lite for the tail surfaces. I have kitted up the tail surfaces from 5.5LB "B" grain balsa. It should make for a nice light tail. I will try to have some pics shortly.

Walter
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:31 PM
Cambridge, MA USA
Joined May 2001
1,743 Posts
Quote:
I think I will order the Oracover Lite for the tail surfaces. I have kitted up the tail surfaces from 5.5LB "B" grain balsa. It should make for a nice light tail. I will try to have some pics shortly.
Don't use Oracover Lite. It gradually loses tension, and also its adhesive creeps in the sun which makes the loosening worse.

Ultracote Lite stays tight forever and doesn't creep. It's a much superior material.
markdrela is offline Find More Posts by markdrela
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:41 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I used ultracoat Light in my windancer and its been sitting for weeks and no changes to the original covering. I like the stuff... besides of the Doc says use Ultracote, well I use Ultracote...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:07 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Ok! Thanks Ultracoat Lite it is. This is exactly why I asked. I will be putting in a lot of work, I don't want it all spoiled by a bad covering job.

Thanks.

Walter
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:01 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Good tip!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:41 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
OK, we need some pics!

Some pics of the stab before sanding. It weighs 36gm now, but I bet I lose 10 gm sanding...

Check out my $20 Ebay jewlery scale.

Also, some pics of my Apogee sport. What a great flying model.

Walter
Old Oct 27, 2007, 09:54 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
607 Posts
Why, did the soaring guys forget about lifting stabs? I have been fiddling with some older models, and I have noticed that many of the old towline gliders use lifting (airfoiled) horizontal stabilizers. This allows flying with a more rearward CG. With this configuration, it is posible to have good stability with a CG around 60%. Seems like a way to lose the lead in the nose...

I would like to hear your comments

walter
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:24 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
I think the ultimate lifting stab was on the Civy Boy. CG was on the trailing edge of the wing. The stab is huge, you could make a pretty good size RC trainer using that stab as a wing.

I don't believe the designers of RC sailplanes "forgot" about lifting stabs, but rather moved away from them for some reason.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:56 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,350 Posts
Most of the free flight stuff is designed to fly at just two flight conditions. Launch and glide. With an R/C sailplane and good construction with a light tail you don't need any more than the battery at the front for balance.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow