Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 07, 2002, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Foamy or Balsa plane

The plane that I took pictures and videos from yesterday, today crashed on final approach.

I can testify that no one could tell, after the crashm that all the pieces of balsa on the ground, were once a plane.

It was very sad at this plane used to fly so well (see the video of it), but the point is maybe that extra light balsa planes are also extra fragile ones.

I did not take a picture, just as I did not find this appropriate at the time, I felt just too bad for its owner.

It used to look like this.

It was special, to see after the crash, all the electronic pieces, on the ground, intact, while all the balsa pieces were lying around.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2002, 01:14 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
The expression is "built to fly, not crash"

It's bad to lose models, but stuff happens. I've rolled them up like that, and tossed the radio gear into the trash with the splinters -after a good impact, electronics are too suspect to re-use, even if they work.

I've seen a Wingo foamy reduced to pieces that couldn't be epoxied back together.

Nice model - looks like a CAP interbred with a Jodel!

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 07, 2002, 05:49 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Thats too bad about the plane.

This is however, the reason I now fly foamies almost exclusivly. Its pretty rare to have a crash that can't be fixed in an hour or two on a decent foamie, and rarely are components broken as the foam protects them from impact.

Observations between foam and balsa:

On all but the lightest weight planes, foam winds up weighing about the same as balsa.

foam rarely really breaks on minor crashes.

its easier for an amatuer to make a decent looking foamie, as the building and covering skills are just easier.

a well built foamie will never look as good as a well built balsa.

at 25 + mph, the above statement is tough to see.

foam is really cheap.

There are many tricks that I'm still learning for making a good looking foamie, like that zagi tape is indeed heat shrinkable. Really helps smooth out your finishes. Wish I'd learned that fact 2 years ago.

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee