HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2002, 08:24 AM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,004 Posts
Slow Stick in wind?

Hi Guys,

How well does the GWS Slow Stik handle wind? I love my TM, but it is not really fun to fly with more than very light winds. My Zero was OK in heavier winds, but I'm swapping it out for a SB 3D. I know I won't want to risk the SB on windy days

The Slow Stik looks like it would handle wind better with the larger wingspan. How does it compare to the TM in winds? Will it be OK in 5-10 mph? For $35 it would be great to have a "windy day" plane.

Thanks,

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2002, 09:20 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,173 Posts
Carl
The S.S does okay in some wind. It's not a handfull but you'll be working the sticks at all times. The only time you'll get any speed is downwind otherwise you can have a blast just hovering it in front of you.
I wouldn't call my SB Sport a high wind bird either but it does penetrate a lot better than the S.S. I'll be getting the 3D wing after Christmas. I'm sure that will make it even better. And to be even better hmmmm......a Hacker powered MiniFlash?
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Dec 07, 2002, 10:02 AM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
I wouldn’t consider the Slow Stick as a windy day flyer, but then I wouldn’t consider 5-10mph as a windy day. The Slow Stick will certainly handle the 5-10mph wind but obviously you need to pay attention to what you are doing and maybe stay a little higher than normal - No slow lazy circles 10ft off the ground. One thing I really like about the Slow Stick is that it is so forgiving and resistant to tip stalling. The Slow Stick can haul heavy loads so I know some Slow Stick flyers like to use the larger battery packs on windy days.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Dec 07, 2002, 10:09 AM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,004 Posts
Thanks.

I don't really consider 5-10 mph a windy day either ... but when your TM has a top speed around 7-8 mph "windy" becomes a relative term.

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
Old Dec 07, 2002, 10:14 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
The Slowstick does well in the winds. I have flown mine up to 10mph winds. In high wind conditions better not to let the plane sit on the ground,and a hand launch works better. As soon as it lands, get a hand on it as it will immeditaly tip when not pointed directlyinto the wind.

For the price and size what a bargain!

kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople