HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:27 PM
I fly by wire
Amish paradise - Lancaster, Pa
Joined Aug 2007
288 Posts
Discussion
2.4 ghz camera with a DX7

Due to popular demand (of my children) I'm thinking of adding a wireless cam to my Trex 450. I use a Spektrum DX7 and was wondering if anyone has tried this combo. I wasn't sure of any issues.

This is the cam - cheap and generic to start out with but if all goes well I'll upgrade to something a little better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SM-WIRELESS-CAME...QQcmdZViewItem

Feedback is appreciated!
j'flyr is offline Find More Posts by j'flyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:33 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
I don't see 2.4ghz mentioned in the auction.
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:40 PM
I fly by wire
Joined Aug 2007
288 Posts
I didn't notice that but I'm pretty sure it is 2.4ghz. I've been through a dozen or so different models and all were.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:30 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
Let us know if it's 2.4ghz and if it can co-exist with the DX7!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 01:09 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,292 Posts
I have the same camera its 2.4Ghz. Havent tried to use mine on the heli yet (just played with it). Ive heard it isnt an issue with the spektrum technology as long as you bind your receiver before turning on the camera. I doubt it is an issue if you didnt anyway, as there are a lot of frequencies in the 2.4Ghz band ( i have a 2.4Ghz joystick sitting right next to my 2.4Ghz phone.... and dont get an issue )
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Oct 20, 2007, 01:16 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
I've read the opposite. The camera's signal overwhelms the Rx. I've also read the video receivers with a tuner will constantly go out of tune and you have to keep adjusting it. Since I don't have any wireless cam to try, I'm relying on everyone else' experience.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 01:22 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,292 Posts
From playing with it the receivers tuner is pretty sensitive and you do have to keep adjusting it everytime you turn it on.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:57 AM
I fly by wire
Joined Aug 2007
288 Posts
We need more feedback about this from users that have tried making it work.

(bump)
Old Oct 20, 2007, 09:19 AM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j'flyr
We need more feedback about this from users that have tried making it work.

(bump)

i fly FPV and have done lots of research on the subject.
usually the power of the(2.4) video Tx will overwhelm the 2.4 ghz tx.
it will overload it and casue lockout.its happend MANY times.the rule of thumb when building a FPV ship is to use a standard aircract freq.with a 2.4 ghz video downlink.
or you Could use a 900mhz video downlink and get away with a 2.4 ghz Radio.

IMO going 900 mhz would be the best choice if you already have the 2.4 ghz radio.for one 900 mhz isnt subjets to multipath interference,like 2.4ghz microwaves are.900 mhz gets much longer range for a given transmit power.

hope it helps.

PS you dont want any video equip with a tuner.its GARBAGE and you will quickly get sick of it becasue of having to tune it all the time.
hihptsi is offline Find More Posts by hihptsi
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:45 AM
I fly by wire
Joined Aug 2007
288 Posts
Thanks...that does help. So there are kits like the link I posted that are 900mhz? I'll do a ebay search.

Thanks again for the insight!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:27 PM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Thanks...that does help. So there are kits like the link I posted that are 900mhz? I'll do a ebay search.

pick up a cheap kit from Wade at future hobbies.top notch service and great products.you will not be dissappointed.
hihptsi is offline Find More Posts by hihptsi
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:35 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Yeah, good luck with a 2.4ghz video transmitter on any aircraft. You'd better keep it further than 3 ft. from your receiver so you stand a CHANCE of maintaining control past 300 ft. I've tried it in perfect conditions with the video camera/transmitter about 15 inches from the receiver and it was ugly. The further I could get it from the receiver the better, but I was only on a 32-inch wingspan plane, so my options were limited.

Not to mention what it does to the video quality when the receiver is oriented between the camera/video transmitter and the video antenna on the ground...

Range was 300ft. maximum with an AR-6100 receiver. And there was a lot of glitching...so much so that it reminded me of my Hitec Feather receiver days!

I have video I can post, but it isn't good as you can imagine.
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8
Old Oct 21, 2007, 02:13 PM
Only electrons, Martha
Outside Philadelphia
Joined Nov 2002
2,019 Posts
Quote:

If the pictured receiver is the one you get from that auction then you're not getting a 2.4ghz system. I have a couple 900mhz and 2.4ghz systems and the cheapest 900mhz system uses that receiver... you have to use the stereo knob on the end of it to "tune" in your camera reception and it's very tempermental.

The 2.4ghz setups typically allow you to select 1 of 4 predefined channels. Some of the better 900mhz setups have the same setup and I've yet to see a 2.4ghz receiver with a stereo knob for tuning reception.
ShellDude is offline Find More Posts by ShellDude
Old Oct 21, 2007, 06:57 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,292 Posts
My receiver is identical to that (with the knob) and is 2.4GHz.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 09:25 PM
I fly by wire
Joined Aug 2007
288 Posts
I just emailed the seller and asked what frequency this operates on. I'll post back his response. I've also priced some 900mhz cameras and their a good bit more expensive...$150 - 200.

So, if the receiver has a "tuning knob" the quality sucks and if it has a specific channel you can select that unit works?