HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2002, 04:10 PM
Go Giants!
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Mini-Piper first flight

Well, I flew my Mini-Piper today, and it was great!

I think that Graupner has a very nice little plane. It is very stable in flight, and a joy to fly.

Very easy to land! So easy it practically lands itself.

This is my setup:

Permax 280 7.2v motor
zagi prop
8 cell 720 NiMH OR
6 cell 900 NiMH (firebird battery)
Steerable tail wheel

I am amazed at this plane. It was incredibly easy to build, and is even easier to fly. I was worried about how the plane would fly, because it is around 11.5 to 12 ounces, but that is a rough estimate (my scale is not very acurate), adding on to that I am using a 280 instead of a 300, but it was great! It was very fast on the 8 cell, and still enjoyable on the 6 cell. I am very happy with this plane, it is IMHO a great plane for a beginner.

It is pretty tough too! On my first toss, (even with the tail wheel, the plane is still way to squirrely on the ground to to ROG) I pointed it to far up, and it stalled, so I cut the throttle, and the plane bounced off the ground, (with the landing gear) and back up into the air, so I hit the throttle and flew it away!

Also, when I threw it the third flight, it flew about 5 feet then did a nose dive, and the only major thing that happened was that the hold down inside the plane ripped out, but the glue is drying as I type this, and should be ready to go again tomorrow. With that crash came some scratches and dirt marks on the nose, and a little bit of foam taken out of the wingtip, but it is all very minor.

All in all, I think this plane is a very nice, very enjoyable plane. On my first flight, I could take my hands off the transmitter and the plane would fly itself.
Flybyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flybyguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2002, 05:02 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
How did you install your tail wheel?

What do you think caused the nose dive?

I just ordered a second one from HL. My first one did not do well, but it may be because of all the mods I made. I am going to give it a second chance.

The center wing mount breaking out was a constant problem on my first. Hope the second one goes better. I would really like to have success with this plane. I hope you do.

Thanks for the report.

Good luck!

David J.
DavidJ is offline Find More Posts by DavidJ
Old Dec 06, 2002, 05:12 PM
Go Giants!
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
The tail wheel was easy, I just put a little wheel on a piece of wire and glued it to the rudder on the part facing the fuse.

I think the nose dive was a combination of 2 things.

1. Pilot error.
2. Not tossing it over the slope that is at the field (which I guess is also pilot error, but I didnt know that would happen, so I learned a lesson)

Good luck on your plane!

One piece of advice though: You cant throw any motor and prop combo in any plane.

If you build it as the instructions say, and use the reccommended gear, you should be very happy!

Also, just use alot of glue for the wing hold down.

What caused you to buy a second plane? I read your post about the first one, and you seemed pretty unhappy with the plane.
Old Dec 06, 2002, 06:05 PM
Go Giants!
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Well, I cant seem to get the pics in the post, so I will post them in attachments.
Old Dec 06, 2002, 06:05 PM
Go Giants!
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Never mind, I guess it works!

Here is another:
Old Dec 06, 2002, 06:06 PM
Go Giants!
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Last one.
Old Dec 07, 2002, 04:47 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
I decided to give it another shot, with the recommended equipment, fully stock. Seeing as I have all the parts needed laying around now, would be a shame not to try it again. I really liked the plane, and would love to have it be a success. I would really like something I can fly in the backyard, handle some wind, and is better built than a GWS Beaver. This plane fills that bill, if I can get it right. Most everyone else seems to have good success, so I though it was worth a second shot. It shipped today according to HL, so I should get a "second" maiden next weekend if the weather is fair. Crossing fingers!!

David J.
Old Dec 07, 2002, 06:32 PM
Go Giants!
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Good Luck!
Old Dec 07, 2002, 06:44 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,904 Posts
It sounds like you guys are on the right track! I'm glad to see that the Permax 280 motor worked out.

I did manage to ROG my Mini Piper from pavement after I bent some toe-in into the wheels. It was also a calm day so I didn't have any wind pushing me around. It took off as easily as it lands.

Good luck!
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Dec 07, 2002, 09:18 PM
Go Giants!
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Maybe I will try that.

One tip for anyone buying the plane, make sure you put in the down thrust and right thrust is says to. I made the mistake of not putting it in, and the plane now flys itself.

Not that thats a bad thing, but its one more thing to overcome. I will probably just adjust the trims and work that out.

Brian
Old Dec 07, 2002, 09:41 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
How did you not put in the right thrust angle? Isn't it molded into the foam?

What do you mean "it flies itself"?

David J.
Old Dec 08, 2002, 08:27 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,904 Posts
David,

Brian's Speed 280 motor is not the stock size Speed 300. He probably had some slop factor to deal with. The normal mold holds the Speed 300 motor in the proper position.

The term "flying itself" is just that, you need little to no stick correction to guide the plane.

I often use this scenario for launching my Tipsy. I can put my transmitter on the ground, throttle up and hand toss the Tipsy. It just sails away for 10-20 seconds before I need to pick up my transmitter. The given here is that there is no wind!

Regards.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Dec 08, 2002, 08:30 AM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
I see. I was confused when he stated that the "flying itself" was a result of not putting the right thrust angle in. Sounds like a good thing more than a bad result of the wrong thrust angle.

Thanks,
David J.