HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2002, 01:28 PM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Oct 2002
91 Posts
zip zap mods

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago, planning to make some sort of indoor flyer with it. I havn't got to do that yet, but in fooling around with it, I have made a couple of mods for increased range as well as ease of use. When I first tried it out, I was only getting about 8 to 10 feet of range. I rerouted the car antenna thru a hole drilled in the front near the windsheild, like a real car. This gave a little more than an inch more antenna length and this was pointed straight up. This only gave maybe another 3 feet or so of range. I then swapped out the short TX antenna for one off another 27Mhz TX that I had laying around. This one is about 20" long extended. I now have a range of 30 feet plus indoors. I havn't tried it outside yet, hope to do so this weekend.

The one thing I found annoying about using this style TX was that without sticks, your thumbs get really tired pushing those little buttons around for any length of time. What I did was make my own joysticks, and it is a lot easier to operate now.

To make the sticks is really pretty simple. All you need to do is open the TX, unscrew the circuit board and lift it to the side. Once you do this, the control buttons and switch button will come right out. You will notice that the buttons are rounded on the top, where your thumbs contact them, and hollow underneath. Drill a 1/8" hole through the center of the control buttons from the hollow side up. Now take 1/8" dowell rod and insert it into the hole from the top (rounded) side. I cut mine to about 1 1/4" long. Push the dowell untill you can see it from the bottom, but not too far as to interfere with the rocking action of the switch. CA the dowel into the button. Now just put the buttons back into the TX front with the sticks through the openings, make sure you get the power switch button properly alined with the power switch, otherwise you won't be able to turn it on and off. I colored my sticks with a black Sharpie pen to make them look better. I have inclosed a couple of low res pics to give a better idea of how I did this. This same procedure should work on the other types of TX's out there as well.
jeff
flflyer is offline Find More Posts by flflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2002, 09:11 PM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Zip Zap motors

Have you built a gearbox for the Zip Zap motor? I found the upgrade set at RS. For $8 you get a high and low performance motor along with lots of gears.

I have been trying to build gearboxes for the motors with mixed success. I can get a ~2.6:1 gearing by using the intermediate gear in a tube glued directly to the motor. Now, what prop would be appropriate for each motor with this gearing?

I got a two stage setup together and running smooth. I think it is about 9:1. Prop ideas?

It would seem that using these gears and motors would be a very light and cost effective way to power models of about one oz.

Could they be used DD with the GWS 2.5X08 props? They fit well, and seem to put out some reasonable thrust (no way yet to measure though).

PS, I can't comment on the cars or Tx since our local RS has been sold out consistently.
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Dec 09, 2002, 03:04 PM
Tampa, Fl
Joined Oct 2002
91 Posts
No, I havn't built a gear box yet. Right now the car is apart on the bench with its guts ripped out. A lot of people have suggested the Diedel gears, just havn't had the time lately. I do have a bunch of gears from small CD rom drives I was going to experiment with as well as the gears from the upgrade sets like you mentioned. I also have several different small props, less than 3" to try out. Hopefully get to it sometime this week.
jeff
flflyer is offline Find More Posts by flflyer
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:02 AM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Gear sets

The gear sets in the upgrade package can make a lot of varieties of one and two stage gearboxes. I built a two stage box out of each color:

Red: 12:1
Green 10:1
Blue 8:1

The trick is to find a good prop combo. The gears are not ideal, they mesh a little bit rougher than the KP00 box from DWE. It would seem they could be made to work, however. I used Larry Park's method of bearing/shaft construction using 20 mm nylon tubing and .032 music wire.

One stage boxes can be made by gluing the shaft housing directly to the motor and using the intermediate gear.

I have yet, however, to test thrust or try them on a model.
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner