Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:21 AM
RETIRED PHILLY FIREFIGHTER
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Discussion
1/4 Scale Super Decathlon

http://www.rcguys.com/decathlon.html

Hi all, I saw this plane and really love it, just wondering if anyone bought assembled and flew this airframe yet? If you have I'm sure many of us here would love to hear what you have to say about your experience with it so far as well as what motor you used and how well it went together, any fit or hardware problems ETC. Thanks The Vagabond , Jon
Vagabond324 is offline Find More Posts by Vagabond324
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:43 PM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
I have it but haven't assembled it yet..........I have been monitoring others progress and problems..........only problem has been confusion on mounting the engine so the cowl fits correctly. I believe RCGUYS have addressed the issue to clarify for future purchasers. There is a full review in Model Airplane News, Sept. 07. The engine used there was the new O.S. 200 4 cycle. Others are finding the Saito 180 is a good match and some have gone with 40cc gas burners. I haven't seen or heard anything but good about the airframe so far............I will use a Quadra 42 lightened up with EI to power mine. The quality of my airframe is exceptional, covering job is excellant, customer service from RCGUYS has been exceptional. My cowl was damaged in shipment and it was replaced no questions asked. Hardware is top notch, other than the throw away foam wheels..........don't know why they even put them in.
roknhs is offline Find More Posts by roknhs
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:49 PM
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Lets hear some more

So what can you mention of those others that have this airframe, I have been looking but have not found anyone else who has the model built or unbuilt.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:47 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknhs
I have it but haven't assembled it yet..........I have been monitoring others progress and problems..........only problem has been confusion on mounting the engine so the cowl fits correctly. I believe RCGUYS have addressed the issue to clarify for future purchasers. There is a full review in Model Airplane News, Sept. 07. The engine used there was the new O.S. 200 4 cycle. Others are finding the Saito 180 is a good match and some have gone with 40cc gas burners. I haven't seen or heard anything but good about the airframe so far............I will use a Quadra 42 lightened up with EI to power mine. The quality of my airframe is exceptional, covering job is excellant, customer service from RCGUYS has been exceptional. My cowl was damaged in shipment and it was replaced no questions asked. Hardware is top notch, other than the throw away foam wheels..........don't know why they even put them in.

Can you give more details on how you plan to go to electronic ignition on your Q42? I have a US 41, and wonder if I could do the same to shed some weight.

Thanks
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:07 PM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
There are quite active forums on competitive sites that detail the assembly and flight characteristics of the Decathlon.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:16 PM
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknhs
There are quite active forums on competitive sites that detail the assembly and flight characteristics of the Decathlon.
Hmm! Since I don't usually use those type of sites, might you have any links handy? Thanks, Jon
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:18 PM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
Ralgh Cunningham of RC Ignitions specializes in the conversion of magneto ignition engines to Electronic Ignition. Doesn't change the performance of the engine.....but....
reduces the weight by nearly a pound and makes the engine a dream to start by hand.

I have a RCIGN G-62 that I fly regularly and a G-45............He hides the ignition inside the cup mount of the engine............costs $175.00 to have the conversion done. If you like your engine and plan on keeping it.........the cost is worth every penny.

The guys I fly with are extremely jealous of the 2 flip cold starts I routinely demonstrate and the light weight of my power plants.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:21 PM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
Try RCUniverse.com and go to the Giant Scale Airplane Forum............Look for the RCGUYS Decathlon thread........
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:00 PM
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
ENGINE to use

Just wondering, do you guys think the Zenoah G-26 will be to small to use on this plane, it is at the lower end of the recommended size, I ask because I have a NIB G-26 sitting on my shelf.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:12 PM
United States, ID
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
G-26 would be on the small end of the spectrum..........it is 1.6 cu. in. and I think the range most people prefer is 1.8 - 2.4 cu. in. As I have said, I own one but haven't assembled it yet..........this info comes from what I have read of others experience. So, G-38, Quadra 42, U.S. Engines 41, G-45 and similiar size gassers seem to be the engine of choice in 2 cycle gas.
Glow 1.8, 2.00 or 2.20 all have been reported as adequate.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 03:27 PM
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Motor to use?

Hi Guy's just got back an email from Dan Speers at RCGUYS, this is his reply to my question about what motor to use in the Super Decathlon. Anyone use this motor, seem quite expensive compaired to other motors, any thoughts?
Thanks, Jon

Jon
The Zenoah G38 (2.5 hp, 4.4 lbs) and Zenoah G45 (3.3 hp, 4.9 lbs) distributed by Horizon should both fit in the Decathlon but they are heavy engines. The Fuji BT32ei (2.2 hp, 3.3 lbs) is lighter but low on power.

I would be more inclined to go for another engine that Horizon distributes, the Evolution 26GT (3.8 hp, 2.1 lb).

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Dan Speers
RCguys.com div. of Mobile Airships Inc.
tel 519-756-1110
Old Nov 10, 2007, 04:47 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1 Posts
Decathlon engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond324
Hi Guy's just got back an email from Dan Speers at RCGUYS, this is his reply to my question about what motor to use in the Super Decathlon. Anyone use this motor, seem quite expensive compaired to other motors, any thoughts?
Thanks, Jon

Jon
The Zenoah G38 (2.5 hp, 4.4 lbs) and Zenoah G45 (3.3 hp, 4.9 lbs) distributed by Horizon should both fit in the Decathlon but they are heavy engines. The Fuji BT32ei (2.2 hp, 3.3 lbs) is lighter but low on power.

I would be more inclined to go for another engine that Horizon distributes, the Evolution 26GT (3.8 hp, 2.1 lb).

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Dan Speers
RCguys.com div. of Mobile Airships Inc.
tel 519-756-1110

I'm using a Taurus TS42 (42cc) in mine and it's all you could want and then some. Going verticle on takeoff is a breeze with this much power under the cowl.
rusty r1 is offline Find More Posts by rusty r1
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:21 PM
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Got mine

Ok, Dan shipped these babies out right before Christmas I have mine, managed to check the box contents for any outright damage, none found. The kit looks beautiful, covering nice and tight, of course it's cool out but it looks good. Anyone start theirs yet, still waiting for some room to show where I can work on it. Hopefully one of my grown children will remove some of their crap from my basement so I can have my hobby room back. Love to hear for those who are working on theirs. The Vagabond , Jon