HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:16 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
181 Posts
Question
Help with Aspire Set Up

Hi all,

I am new to EP Gliders but have been flying glow powered airplanes for about 6 months.

I am interested in aerial photography, and after seeing many videos taken from gliders, I decided to buy one. I ended up getting the Hangar 9 Aspire RTF glider. It comes with the E-flite ESC, 1500 mAh Ni-Cd and a 550 motor.

The first 2 times out have been in slightly windy conditions, and the glider struggled into the wind to gain altitude. The 2nd flight was slightly better as the wind was less. After 30-40 sec of full throttle, the plane did climb to about 100 feet and was more responsive then on the 1st flight.

My question is, can I change the set up of this glider so that I can fly it in slightly windy conditions, or can it only be flown on calm days?

I have purchased a Li-Poly 2C battery for the plane which would cut the weight substantially. Is a brushless motor in my future?

Thanks.

Darren
Autopilot68 is offline Find More Posts by Autopilot68
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:46 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2005
695 Posts
More weight is good when flying in windy conditions, better penetration through wind. Dont know the model, tough to say anything about it. Anyone else, experiences ?

E
ezmo is offline Find More Posts by ezmo
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:33 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
181 Posts
Thanks Ezmo,

Maybe what I need is some recommendations on ESC - motor and prop.

I have read in another post here at rc groups from 2005, that this plane is not a strong climber especially in any wind.

What suggestions can somebody make on a motor that would fit this plane.

Darren
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
Joined Sep 2003
423 Posts
The stock motor and ESC/BEC should be fine with a 2 cell Lipolymer and that will help climb a bit with lower weight and increased voltage.

I got better performance by going to a 8 cell battery pack and using a 9x5 prop...I know, right on the ragged edge. Stock with a 6 cell and there is only ~12 ounces of thrust. With the above mods, it is pretty close to 20 ounces.

Of course I swapped motors as the original threw a winding on the commutator after the third flight. The solder joint broke and that was with the stock 6 cell.

I put a Jeti Phasor 15/3 with brushless ESC in it. That was a blast until a dust-devil thermal from hell took it on a whirlwind ride. Without spoilers and fearing tip stall in a corkscrew, I tried gentle loops to reduce altitude. Where there is monster lift, there are monster sinks. And it hit a powerful sink on a dive. When I tried to give a little elevator to pull out of the dive, the main spar failed in shear...

Motor survived just fine.
Weisse Luft is offline Find More Posts by Weisse Luft
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:53 AM
Joined Nov 2003
92 Posts
I get my Aspire out of big lift by putting it into a spin. Just pull the stick all the way back and all the way to either side and hold it there. The spin looks scarey but it loses altitude quickly without breaking anything. When you're low enough just let go of the stick and the model recovers by itself.
aaron_jeffrey is offline Find More Posts by aaron_jeffrey
Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:00 AM
Joined Nov 2003
92 Posts
Also, I changed the heavy ni-cad pack that came with the Aspire for a 3-cell 2100 mAh lipo. The new battery is 8 ounces lighter than the original and higher voltage so the climb improves. I usually climb at full throttle for about 10 seconds then throttle back slightly. The stock speed control works fine. The Aspire is no rocket but is a good basic glider and a bargain. Mine was $112 NIB.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:09 AM
Joined Nov 2003
92 Posts
Autopilot68, I notice you're in Ontario Canada. If you're in the Toronto area, contact Jack at A & J Hobbies. The web address is www.ajhobby.com Jack has flown radio gliders for years and can advise you about your glider setup. I have no business connection with A & J but I spend my money there when I'm in Canada (I'm in Japan now).
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:31 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
I have two Aspire gliders (production was stopped and only EP are now available.) that I converted to EP. I fly both on Hacker B20 L18 brushless motors with Maxon 4:1 GB. I fly with 3S 2100 Lipo packs and 12x6 folders. In order to balance properly, I moved the servos up under the LE of the wing. Both planes weigh 38 oz. RTF. Nothing was done to make the planes particularly light except for component placement to avoid adding weight to the nose.

There are many outrunner motors now available that will work very well. CG balance with a lighter brushless motor and a Lipo pack may prove to be problem w/o adding weight to the nose.

The Aspire is a nice flying glider with no particular bad habits. It's too bad Hangar 9 doesn't still offer the non EP version as it was only about $90 as an ARF.

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Oct 18, 2007, 02:05 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
181 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I will contact Jack at A&J hobbies, as I am in Toronto frequently with work.

So far, I have taken out the stock battery and replaced it with a 2 cell Li-Poly 2150mAh battery. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but the motor does seem alot stronger with this battery. The weight reduction should also help substantially.

If in the end, the Aspire still has a problem climbing, I will probably opt for a brushless motor and move things around to correct CG.

Thanks again.

Darren
Old Oct 20, 2007, 09:31 PM
ohio
Joined Jul 2007
3 Posts
i put a mad max in mine it will almost fly stright up .i have had 3 of them . the motor that comes with them are junk .to bad they put a motor like that in them . find a good motor and put in it .and you will enjoy it .

real crash
real crash is offline Find More Posts by real crash
Old Oct 21, 2007, 03:33 PM
United States, WV, Calhoun
Joined Nov 2004
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisse Luft
I put a Jeti Phasor 15/3 with brushless ESC in it. That was a blast until a dust-devil thermal from hell took it on a whirlwind ride. Without spoilers and fearing tip stall in a corkscrew, I tried gentle loops to reduce altitude. Where there is monster lift, there are monster sinks. And it hit a powerful sink on a dive. When I tried to give a little elevator to pull out of the dive, the main spar failed in shear...

Motor survived just fine.
I too lost an Aspire to a dust devil. I was at about 200 feet and just about ready to power up when the wings folded on the Aspire. When I followed the plane down I discovered that I had hit a big dusk devil. It was really big and all but stationary. I had to walk about 200 feet to get the plane and I had to wait for the devil to clear out of the area. It was the biggest dusk devil that I had ever seen. My power was a Phasor 30/3 on 3 cell 3200 lipo. A bit over powered but an absolute blast to fly. My Asprie was assembled from replacement parts from Horizon.
skyhawk1 is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk1
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:35 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1 Posts
Where can I get this Mad Max motor? Can I use stock ESC and battery? I just purchased a new Aspire EP and I'm not sure if I even want to try to fly it, without
making some sort of change to increase power.
sail268 is offline Find More Posts by sail268