HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:39 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
2,915 Posts
Sorry. I forgot the pics. The plane is complete and is a great flier.
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:47 PM
Westminster CA
Joined Jun 2000
231 Posts
pics

well if you get a chance snap a few cloesups for the gang this will be my third one and first sloper in 6 years (went to the turbine darkside) i flew only pats stuff when i flew had them alll cept the JW. babyscooter "e" was one of the best allarounds ever!
markdam is offline Find More Posts by markdam
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:32 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
I finally got around to starting my SS build. I'm trying to pre-think about the mods needed to make a really great flier out of her.

For the wing, I'm thinking of adding a spruce sub-TE, and then going with an old-school Goop, spackle, Goop, tape and covering job.

How about gear installation? Do folks typically go with cutting a channel down one side to bury the elevator push rod, or is it better to come up with some way to send it right down the middle?

Battery/rx - Would you just come in from the side and then cover with the Coroplast?

I'm open to any/all ideas here.

- TomO
TomO is offline Find More Posts by TomO
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:15 AM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
2,915 Posts
TomO

I did a basswood trailing edge and the goop tape cover deal. I dont think the new SS have the same epp as the old ones. Mine is way softer that kona joes and he didnt even use tape.My battery went in on the top in front of the wing. My elevator servo and RX went in from the side with coroplast covers. I would skip the tape on the wing saddle and just goop the wing on epp to epp. Thats all . see you at WCSC
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
Not much to report on my build so far...

The wings are joined together with Super 77, the rods are installed in the wings and the first layer of Goop has been applied to the entire wing surface.

Tonight I hope to get the sub-TE purchased and attached and maybe get a coat of spackle on the wing also.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:30 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
2,915 Posts
I dont know about the spackle.My covering is coming loose and when I peeled it back the spackle was all flakey underneath.With all the tape ect I dont think the spackle is needed.The tape and covering covers any flaws in the epp.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:02 PM
Westminster CA
Joined Jun 2000
231 Posts
funny what a few years will do!!!!
its been so long since i built epp you guys have invented new methods of covering. we used packing tape on top of strapping tape and ironed it nice and tight
some guys tried ecocote over the strapping tape.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:05 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
Last night I got the sub-TE installed on the wing and slathered her all up with spackle. I also took some balsa planks to the bandsaw and cut out some new tail feathers. I just used the coroplast ones as a template.

Tonight should be starting on the fuse and some sanding of the wing.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:57 PM
Breaker of wind and wings
Montrose, Colorado
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
The 3 must-do mods to the SS are;

1) Sub T.E. is essential as it greatly stiffens the wings and keeps the foam from tearing where the wing meets fuse on landings where inertia at the wing tips stresses that area.

2) Balsa fins as opposed to cloroplast - much more precise tracking

3) Bury elevator pushrod - leaving it exposed along the side invites trouble IMHO - and adds un-necessary drag.

Now for the dont - Dont use 2 sided carpet tape to attach wing to fuse - it WILL come loose (especially on hot days) - use goop or epoxy.

My Scooter (2nd one) is one of the last that Bowman Hobbies produced - its 1.4lb EPP for the wings and 1.9lb for the fuse - If what I noticed about Dragons' SS is true, the new kits are cut entirely from 1.4lb so his fuse is much softer than mine - plan to compensate for that with more tape/goop/etc..

Dont worry about wieght this plane performs much better in heavy conditions with a little ballast.

Adiff should be around 50% for good rolls.

And, oddly enough, about 10-15% of REVERSE camber (ie ailerons in flap mode go up not down) and some down elevator to compensate, and you've got a "floaty" SS - program it to your Tx flap switch or whatever works for you.

Best of luck with your SS builds, Konajoe

And 15% reverse camber
Konajoe is offline Find More Posts by Konajoe
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:22 PM
DCS
NorCal
Joined Nov 2003
426 Posts
Greetings.

Ditto on the sub TE mod. I used basswood on mine.

Here's the mini-how-to on making your SS wing removable.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...er+scooter+mod

Ciao.

- DCS
DCS is offline Find More Posts by DCS
Old Mar 27, 2008, 01:38 AM
Westminster CA
Joined Jun 2000
231 Posts
cool!

was thinking the same thing and now i can just copy!!!!!! thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:41 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
I like the way you did the removable wing. I was planning something similar too.

Would it be better to move the elevator servo and leave the space in the wing saddle area for ballast?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:15 AM
Westminster CA
Joined Jun 2000
231 Posts
Good idea! and i love the fact tha Pat's Planes are getting a resurgance of love! his planes ROCK!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 01:08 PM
DCS
NorCal
Joined Nov 2003
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO
I like the way you did the removable wing. I was planning something similar too.

Would it be better to move the elevator servo and leave the space in the wing saddle area for ballast?
Greetings.

Among my other SS mods was the installation of a plywood plate in the bottom of the 'fuse with a "blind" or "T" nut that would accept ballast bolted to the bottom of 'fuse. Not as clean as internal ballast but it does preserve the structural integrity of the monolithic EPP 'fuse.

I think I've got pix of that mod, too. Heck, I may have already posted 'em!

Ciao.

- DCS
DCS is offline Find More Posts by DCS
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:02 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
My progress so far, sorry that I haven't taken any pictures yet.

The wing is just about ready to cover as of about 5 minutes ago. It was prepped with a generous layer of Goop followed by a good slathering of light-weight Spackle. That was all sanded back to shape and then a second good Gooping over the Spackle.

Once the Goop dried, I cut in the servo holes and Gooped in the servos (HS-85's). I then applied a full layer of fiber reinforced 'Duck' brand tape following a line drawn from the root leading edge to the tip trailing edge. I fully covered the bottom first, wrapping the LE by about 1", then did the top in the same manner. That layer of tape was then ironed on to really set the glue and Goop. I then marked a line from root LE to the other tip TE and applied a second layer of tape at the opposing angle to the first. The second layer of tape was again ironed down. To finish up, I'll apply one strip of Extreme bi-directional tape straight down the LE.

I have the elevator servo mounted in the rounded and rough-shaped fuse and I've routed a channel down the port side for a piece of GoldenRod for the elevator control. I've also cut a ballast box / access point for the receiver centered on the CG point as described in the instructions.

Still to go at this point: cut in a place for the battery, rx, switchjack or switch and charging jack and find a way to route all of the wiring. I also need to decide on the wing mounting method, but I think I'm leaning toward a forward facing dowel and a nylon bolt to hold down the TE.

Oh yeah, I've also sanded the edges of the balsa tail group so they are nice and rounded at the front and rather pointy at the trailing edges.

Shouldn't be too much longer now!