HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 15, 2007, 05:25 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Question
Fire resistant doc bag at harbor freight (similar tolipo-sack)

At a glance it seems that the "Fire resistant document bag" at harbor freight would be similar to the lipo-sack. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96597

Anyone feel like trying one for $9.99?

Chris
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Last edited by Vegas_flyer; Oct 15, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2007, 07:38 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
Maybe NOT as good as the Lipo Sack BUT waaay cheaper and larger too !

Hey ! ... They'd be worth at least a try.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:38 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Probably not as good. The LiopSack has a rather robust closure system designed to keep material in. Can't tell what the Harbor Freight job has. As I recall, Mark felt the closure was a key design feature.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:01 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,919 Posts
Worth a try? By that do you mean running a fire test with a 3s2100 lipo?

IMO, 1000F resistance is not high enough.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:14 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
Probably not as good. The LiopSack has a rather robust closure system designed to keep material in. Can't tell what the Harbor Freight job has. As I recall, Mark felt the closure was a key design feature.

Bill
Isn't that rather robust closure system just velcro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Worth a try? By that do you mean running a fire test with a 3s2100 lipo?

IMO, 1000F resistance is not high enough.
Yea, a test with 3s2100s might be good (with due caution). I know there must be a bunch of those dead UH batteries out there.

Chris
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:37 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Kind of funny that the pouch does 1000F but the paper documents inside won't.
I can see the homeowner now, intact bag full of ashes. It and a self cleaning oven will be spotless.
Probedude is offline Find More Posts by Probedude
Old Oct 16, 2007, 08:25 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,919 Posts
LOL Good point!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 08:57 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,920 Posts
Keeping fire in is a whole different story than keeping it out. Selection of the thread used to hold the bag together is critical when the bag is supposed to contain even the slightest pressure. If the thread burns and/or breaks and the seams open up, how much temperature the cloth can withstand becomes meaningless.

I know Mark took this all into consideration when he designed the LiPo Sack. All the materials he uses are top notch and up to the task. Is it wise to assume that the makers of a $9 document bag sold by Harbor Freight have gone to the same lengths?

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:48 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,348 Posts
There are other issues with using these bags...mine or others. In keeping flaming lipos in, the bag needs only to withstand a few seconds of flash heat, unlike a house fire where the bag and contents can be subjected to 1800 degrees plus for considerably longer. Yes, the closure is simply high quality hook and loop. The primary part of our design is the vents at the top which allows for a controlled venting keeping the hook and loop intact for the most part. Without those vents, the h&l goes away pretty quick. I doubt the HF bags will have that vent considering the design to keep heat out, not in. Interesting that they came out with this, huh?

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:12 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
Very good point, PGR.
It is never wise to assume anything ! However, at 10-bucks it sure is worth pickin' a few up and doin' some testin'. I ordered two and I'll use one to test as soon as I get a bad pack.

I personally don't use a LiPo Sak as the most common reason for my LiPo failures are due to damage from me bein' a butter fingers and droppin' them while tryin' to carry stuff to/back from the vehicle
I've been concerned about what kind of protection a Sak would provide there, so I decided to use Sentry Home Document Fire Safes instead. I have two larger ones that I use for storage and a small one with a handle for transporting.
You can buy them new at WallyMart for the price of a LiPo Sak and then line them for the ultimate protection. I use an inexpensive rope-like gasket material for the lining that I get at the local hardware store. It's for fireplace doors. I have also seen the fire safes at garage sales for 5-bucks and that included the keys.
I know the Saks are for one pack only and I keep several packs in my Sentry's. If one goes off I lose them all but I'd rather lose a few packs (and eat that cost) instead of riskin' my family and the house and to buy LiPo Saks for a few dozen packs would be very expensive.
The safes are much more cost effective for storage of several packs than any LiPo Sak that I have found but don't get me wrong as I can see the need for the Sak. The market says so .

When I get a pack I'll do a video on the Harbor Sak test and post it.

Xwingnut
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Found the same one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fire-Resista...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:52 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,919 Posts
Why can't the ebay bag be put in water? Does it dissolve? LOL The wicked witch bag?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Why can't the ebay bag be put in water? Does it dissolve? LOL The wicked witch bag?
As a guess I would say that this bag is designed to protect documents from fire, not from water. If the bag gets wet, the documents inside get wet, and are ruined.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is online now Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:45 AM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwingnut
Very good point, PGR.
It is never wise to assume anything ! However, at 10-bucks it sure is worth pickin' a few up and doin' some testin'. I ordered two and I'll use one to test as soon as I get a bad pack.

I personally don't use a LiPo Sak as the most common reason for my LiPo failures are due to damage from me bein' a butter fingers and droppin' them while tryin' to carry stuff to/back from the vehicle
I've been concerned about what kind of protection a Sak would provide there, so I decided to use Sentry Home Document Fire Safes instead. I have two larger ones that I use for storage and a small one with a handle for transporting.
You can buy them new at WallyMart for the price of a LiPo Sak and then line them for the ultimate protection. I use an inexpensive rope-like gasket material for the lining that I get at the local hardware store. It's for fireplace doors. I have also seen the fire safes at garage sales for 5-bucks and that included the keys.
I know the Saks are for one pack only and I keep several packs in my Sentry's. If one goes off I lose them all but I'd rather lose a few packs (and eat that cost) instead of riskin' my family and the house and to buy LiPo Saks for a few dozen packs would be very expensive.
The safes are much more cost effective for storage of several packs than any LiPo Sak that I have found but don't get me wrong as I can see the need for the Sak. The market says so .

When I get a pack I'll do a video on the Harbor Sak test and post it.

Xwingnut
Xwingnut,
Please let us know how it works out (video would be nice).

Chris
Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
As a guess I would say that this bag is designed to protect documents from fire, not from water. If the bag gets wet, the documents inside get wet, and are ruined.

Dan
What fire wouldn't have water as part of the equation? Maybe it should have a label saying "Dry Fire Extinguisher ONLY".
Closed Thread