HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2007, 04:46 PM
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Discussion
Super Slow Flying

Hello All,

This is my first post here.

I have been reading these forums for about 2 months now. Because of RCGroups I went to Target and bought the Biplane Aero Ace. I have had a ton of fun with it. When they say this plane can take a beating…they/RCGroups was not kidding. Walls, basketball nets, AC Ductwork…and more.

At any rate I have mastered that plane now. I would like to move to a super slow flyer. I like to watch planes fly slowly, as in barely moving. However, I can find no kits. I see the Plantronics stuff but it is too much $$ for me. I am thinking a balsa kit with brushless motor.

I do not understand how to calc out motor sizes to wing ratio to keep a plane barely flying. I know you just cannot take any old plane throttle it back and expect it to fly slowly. I would like it to fly at walking speed or slower.

Can someone here point me to plans, kits or preferable ready to fly super slow flyers?

Additionally I thought about a 3D plane, such as a YAK. As they can hover it would seem you could make them go really slow. Am I off base here? I would not be stunting the thing for sure. Their fragile nature may be a problem.

I fly in a single court gymnasium.

Any opinions or pointers to sources of info would be appreciated. I have searched here and on Google.

TF
Turtle_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Turtle_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:23 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
You are describing Dave Roblen's 'Walker', a 1 ounce, 26" stick and tissue indoor model, published a couple of years back in RCMF. It had very low weight, large surfaces and very low wing loading. It used standard micro gear (smaller and lighter is available today), with the exception of a very low gear ratio gearbox to allow turning a larger, lower-pitch prop. It was, in essence, a powered penny plane. Here's a link to Peck-Polymer's FF rubber model page. About half way down you run into penny planes, EZBs. These are about what the walker looks like. http://tinyurl.com/33hvcf

Another similar model is the 'Hanger Rat'. Do a search in this forum and you should find some examples.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:29 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,537 Posts
Have a look at the duration models in the pics and videos in these event reports:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254775
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444577

Sig makes a couple of big slowflyers and Dare kits at least one that use stand light gear, but these may be tight in a single court gym.

The ParkZone Micro Cessna is a nice RTF, but I wouldn't consider it a slowflyer. It would do fine in a single court gym though.

Check out the Stevens Aeromodels Diddle series and the White monoplane. Most of them are designed for inexpensive cased servos and GWS brushed power. All of them are right at home in the gym. Any of 'em on this page:
http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/home.php?cat=471

If you are after a slowflying turn-key setup, the Plantraco ButterFly and Carbon ButterFly will make even a half court gym feel cavernous. The gear can be relativility inexpensive second hand if you are capable of building the airframe of something like Billy Stillner's Square 9.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:50 PM
AMA 218183
Reseda [san fernando valley]CA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
526 Posts
One thing to note. Sometimes it's harder to fly them slow than fast. I have a wattage slow jazz, but it took alot of tweeking to dail it in. I like it, but I dont really recommend it to a beginner. Might want to check out an IFO, I never had one, but a lot of folks like 'em.
dwkwingnut is offline Find More Posts by dwkwingnut
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:17 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Do a search for the 'Pinky' and scale it up a bit, for standard RC gear. That'll serve you well!!

Take the plans for the Pinky over to the Foamies RCGroup, they'll tell ya what size to make it for whatever motor/gear you have.

I have seen the Pinky being flown by it's maker, and it's quite the slow aircraft when done right... One of its best features is the tail, which is also a lifting surface.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:56 PM
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
I finally found an example. This is Exactly the type of flying I want to do.

Does anyone know the electronics and motors he is using? Transmitter, servos, motors...etc. I could most likely build the thing from the plans mentioned here ot just by looking at his.

Video is here
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:33 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Quote:
At any rate I have mastered that plane now. I would like to move to a super slow flyer. I like to watch planes fly slowly, as in barely moving. However, I can find no kits. I see the Plantronics stuff but it is too much $$ for me. I am thinking a balsa kit with brushless motor.

I do not understand how to calc out motor sizes to wing ratio to keep a plane barely flying. I know you just cannot take any old plane throttle it back and expect it to fly slowly. I would like it to fly at walking speed or slower.
Tha plane in the video is an actuator controlled plane, rudder and throttle only. Servos and brushless motors are not a possibility as they weigh too much for that size and weight plane.

The Plantraco starter kit could be a good choice if you want to build something like the plane in the video. But, you say the Plantraco is too much money for you.

You could hack up some toy RX plane gear. By the time you do mods, buy extra bits (in some cases), etc in the end you may be better off with the Plantraco starter kit. It depends on how much work you want to do.

To go the IR route, Indoor Flyer in the UK sells Didel's new IR receiver which works with the Pico-Z helicopter TX. You could go this route and use a single Plantraco HingeAct, also available from Indoor Flyer. Postage to the US is very reasonable and quick for these small packages.

The plane in the video probably has a wing loading of about 0.50 ounce per square foot. And, it probably has a total weight of 8 to 12 grams (just a guess). Take weight (in ounces) and divide by wing area (in feet). If you are around 0.50 to 0.75 oz/sq.ft. you should end up with a plane that flys that slow. The lower the wing loading, the slower the plane can fly (hovering is different).

here's a picture of a very slow and huge flying actuator controlled duration plane.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Oct 16, 2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:38 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
If you have the correct building materials, you can build a walking pace slow flyer for under $50. If you buy an X-Twin/Aeroace ($30) and spend $20 on some Balsa, Cling-wrap or tissue or wall-foam(Europe only) and any other preferable materials then its possible to convert the RC toyplane into a slower, more graceful airplane.
Electronick is offline Find More Posts by Electronick
Old Oct 16, 2007, 07:11 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
hey that first one is amazing...anyone have any plans for indoor flyers for butterfly components?
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Old Oct 16, 2007, 08:39 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Turtle Flyer,

If you are up to some conversion work such as rewiring the motor to run the correct direction to be a tractor and swaping out the cap to a 30mAh Lipo you could build something like the model in the YouTube vid from one of these: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...5&pid=B1478465 Cheap at $35.

I would build an 18' span 5" chord wing.
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Oct 16, 2007, 09:31 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,125 Posts
This one flew pretty slow with AA guts, but probably not as slow as what you're looking for.

Video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1019576

Rob
Robster is online now Find More Posts by Robster
Last edited by Robster; Oct 16, 2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: cut too many grammar classes in high school way back when.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 05:53 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Robster, that's an attractive little bipe! Do you have plans?

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:13 AM
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
You guys have given me a lot to read. Thanks.
Any links on how to size a motor based on weight or wing area?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
this looks like it would be fun 2 build, plans NE1 ?
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
ok here's the link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=917480

here's the video (her's is at the end) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=917508
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs