HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2007, 03:18 PM
Joined Mar 2005
239 Posts
Discussion
Dollar tree foamboard?

Anyone else building with this? if so, how do you make up for the size difference compared to FFF? Fan-fold is 6mm right? my sturdyboard foam is 4.5mm. I guess the main question is do you add more spars, double up for wings?
hayabusa is offline Find More Posts by hayabusa
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2007, 04:25 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
917 Posts
The foamboard that we get from dollartree looks to be approximately the same thickness as FFF. If you leave the thin paper layer on it is about as strong too. The paper is not nearly as heavy as the other brands of paper covered foam.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:48 PM
Joined Mar 2005
239 Posts
What happens if it gets wet?(dew in the morning)
Old Oct 15, 2007, 07:10 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa
What happens if it gets wet?(dew in the morning)
You cut out a new airframe from a new sheet of $1 foamboard .
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:24 PM
Joined Mar 2005
239 Posts
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:59 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa
Anyone else building with this? if so, how do you make up for the size difference compared to FFF? Fan-fold is 6mm right? my sturdyboard foam is 4.5mm. I guess the main question is do you add more spars, double up for wings?
I use a lot of Readiboard from Dollartree. My experience is that you need more reinforcements at places of stress but I would definitely take the paper off. It practically doubles the weight of the piece your making. If you leave the paper on one side only, the part will curl. I also use a lot of Elmers foam board which is a more expensive but stronger. I like to trace the parts on the foam with the paper on it, cut out the piece then put a heavy coat of white glue cheapest you can find. Let it dry completely and you can peal the paper right off. You can also soak the foam in water and the paper will peal off, it's just way more messy. Experiment a little and you will get the hang of it. You can't beat the price. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:12 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
985 Posts
Now there's an idea I would have never thought about (cheap white glue to take paper off foamboard)! I had three sheets that had been sitting in my garage for the last year and the paper pulled right off without any difficulty or harm to the foam beneath.

So if you don't wanna buy cheap white glue, you can always move to central Texas (where your garage can easily get to 120 degrees for 3-4 months a year) and then stock up on foam to store!

Great idea, Foamenator!
crash-man is offline Find More Posts by crash-man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TheCrashCast.com - Episode 270
Old Oct 16, 2007, 02:22 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
I use a lot of Readiboard from Dollartree. My experience is that you need more reinforcements at places of stress but I would definitely take the paper off. It practically doubles the weight of the piece your making. If you leave the paper on one side only, the part will curl. I also use a lot of Elmers foam board which is a more expensive but stronger. I like to trace the parts on the foam with the paper on it, cut out the piece then put a heavy coat of white glue cheapest you can find. Let it dry completely and you can peal the paper right off. You can also soak the foam in water and the paper will peal off, it's just way more messy. Experiment a little and you will get the hang of it. You can't beat the price. Bob
I don't think the new stuff that we are getting from Dollar Tree is called "readiboard". It seems to have a very thin layer of craft paper on both sides, not the thick posterboard laminate that I have usually seen. If you leave the paper on, it is only slightly heavier than the old bluecor FFF and is quite strong for profile foamies. I have seen a couple of planes made with this stuff (paper skin left on) flying in light drizzle, and it didn't seem to harm the planes. They are still in use today. I was quite surprised.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 02:54 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin' roller
I don't think the new stuff that we are getting from Dollar Tree is called "readiboard". It seems to have a very thin layer of craft paper on both sides, not the thick posterboard laminate that I have usually seen. If you leave the paper on, it is only slightly heavier than the old bluecor FFF and is quite strong for profile foamies. I have seen a couple of planes made with this stuff (paper skin left on) flying in light drizzle, and it didn't seem to harm the planes. They are still in use today. I was quite surprised.
That sounds interesting I'll keep my eye out for it. I'd love to be able to leave the paper on for some purposes. Thanks Bob
Old Oct 16, 2007, 03:48 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-man
Now there's an idea I would have never thought about (cheap white glue to take paper off foamboard)! I had three sheets that had been sitting in my garage for the last year and the paper pulled right off without any difficulty or harm to the foam beneath.

So if you don't wanna buy cheap white glue, you can always move to central Texas (where your garage can easily get to 120 degrees for 3-4 months a year) and then stock up on foam to store!

Great idea, Foamenator!
Put the glue on really heavy (heavier the better). Wipe excess off the edges because if it dries in lumps (drips) it will notch out the foam on the edges where you peel the lumps off. Bob
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
rLu
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Get the green color board, they are easier to peel off, at least the ones I bought anyway. I use a 2" pcv pipe to assist the peel off process.
rLu is offline Find More Posts by rLu
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:39 AM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
917 Posts
After looking at the label on the foamboard that I have, it does say readiboard.com,

Label Says-

FOAMBOARD - WHITE
(BAR CODE)
0 82665 30525 6
ADAMS
R.L.ADAMS Plastics, Inc.
Wyoming, Michigan 49519
www.readiboard.com

This is the stuff that seems to have a thinner and lighter paper covering which is not too heavy to leave on.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
AMA 42867
Joined Nov 2003
584 Posts
Thanks for the tips, all. Turns out there's a Dollar Tree store four miles from me in this corner of Southern California. FFF is very hard to obtain here and Elmer's foamboard is a bit pricey. Headin' out for Dollar Tree. Maybe they'll even have some cheap white glue!
callmeishmael is offline Find More Posts by callmeishmael
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:38 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael
Thanks for the tips, all. Turns out there's a Dollar Tree store four miles from me in this corner of Southern California. FFF is very hard to obtain here and Elmer's foamboard is a bit pricey. Headin' out for Dollar Tree. Maybe they'll even have some cheap white glue!
Ish, FYI, Hobby Lobby has 20"x30" foamboard on sale this week for 50% off regular price.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:46 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael
Your local lowes really doesn't sell protection board III FFF and your local Home depot doesn't sell the pink FFF, for example...? Rest assured, builders are getting the stuff from somewhere!
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2