SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:34 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
Discussion
VQ Hurricane Conversion

Guys,

I am wanting to do an electric conversion on VQ's 60 size Hurricane. I hate glow slime and electric seems to be well on its way so I thought I would give it a go.

Lets start by saying that I know so Little about electric power that I might as well know nothing. I have a new TP5000 extreme pack that I can use for this project but I have no idea what motor/controller/prop to use. I ma sure there are formulas and whatnot but I thought I would just come to the well and let you guys show me the way.

Specs are:

63 in' span
50 in' length
60 two stroke/ 90 four stroke engine

Thoughts?

TIA!!!!
The_Dave is offline Find More Posts by The_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Dave,

Your answer is probably on this same web page, Glow to Electric Conversions. First you need to post the weight of the plane, as that determines what power setup is needed.

If the weight is similar to the Hangar 9 warbirds, around 7lbs, you do a search for them Hangar 9 P-51, Hangar 9 P-40 etc.

If the weight is similar to the Cermark Spitifre, 9lbs, you search for it.

As I said, you will find all the info you need right here on page one of the Conversion forum.

If you get frustrated, you might actually do some wine tasting in Pahrump, or even visit the ranch. Yes there is wine tasting in Pahrump.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:31 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
Dave,
Tell my Uncle hi from Japan if you see him. Erine Bearss is his name. You might know him. Weight the plane and everything you have so far and let us know and we could help you more.

Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:33 AM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,702 Posts
How many cells is your 5000 extreme pack?
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:15 PM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
Hurricane

Look like the weight will be in the 8 to 9 pound range....
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:27 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Dave,

You need a motor the size of the AXI 4130 or Hacker A60-24
9S lipos, total 5,000 mah.

Copy the setup for the Cermark Spitfire, the thread is right here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702416 You will end up with one fine flying plane. Three planes participated in this thread, so, you will have a good choice of motors. However, any way you look at it, the conversion will be 9S or 10S lipos to power it.

The speed control can be purchased from United Hobbies in China for less than 100 bucks. Get the 100amp controller, 2-12 lipos.

To be truthfull, if you don't mind a slimer, the plane will perform better with slime. For 9s or 10s lipos you need a special charger, or you can do like I do. I rig 3S packs together to get the 9S config. and charge the 3S packs all at the same time with two multiple chargers.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:53 PM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
~

I do have a nice Satio 120 at home that would do it....
Old Oct 15, 2007, 04:52 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,702 Posts
Al, I am going to have to disagree with you

I think this plane will be fine on 6S, using an E-Flite Power 60 outrunner an a 15x10 or so prop.

I don't think you need 8 or 9S to fly it.
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Oct 15, 2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 05:13 PM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
~

The E-Flight 60 was what I came up with as well, just poking around...I would love to hear more thoughts on this...
Old Oct 15, 2007, 05:27 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,702 Posts
I'm feeling a bit lazy to type, but, my first large electric conversion was a Tiger 60. I used an AXI 4130/16 (basically a Power 60) with a 16x10 prop, and Tanic 6S 5000 Lipos (only 10-12c!!) The plane weighed just under 10 pounds. It would take off in 30 feet, climb straight up maybe 200 feet before running out of pull.... Top speed around 60-70 MPH and flight times about 8-10 minutes. Now with the newer batteries, and a thinner wing on a warbird I think you will be fine. Staying with 6S is also more economical- You don't need a HV (high voltage) ESC or a high end charger. Get yourself a phoenix 80 ESC on ebay for $80, find a used Astro 109 Lipo charger for about $80 and you are good to go... You can run the standard AA flight pack or use a UBEC to run off the large lipo pack, or use that UBEC with a 2S 1200 Lipo pack for a little added safety (well, that is always debatable) I recently assembled the Goldberg Decathlon ARF for a friend, converted to electric. Using a Power 60, PHX 80 ESC, 15x10E prop, UBEC , and Flightpower EVO 6S 4900 the plane flew great. Actually, it was wayyy too fast at full power for a Decathlon, it looked silly !!! The plane weighs 9.5 lbs AUW.... I believe we got around 1200+ watts on the meter
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:34 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Eflite Power 60 is a good motor for an 8 pound plane on 6S . Ha sbacking for parts & warrenty , good power and value. FLys the H9 Spitfire very scale at about 8 1/2 pounds w three blade 16/8 prop. If your WSi s about 60-66 in , this will work. Eflite is easy to mount, I can change a shaft in under 5 mintues now ( practice ) ya know....HEEE HEE
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:46 PM
Joined Jul 2006
446 Posts
Could I get you to measure the wheel diameter, and give your opinion on how well the oleo struts seem be be made?
efinkg is offline Find More Posts by efinkg
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:33 AM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
~

The wheel diameter is 3 inches. There is no oleo struts supplied, nor retract units. This model comes with fixed gear and has provisions for retractable gear but you have to supply the retract units.

Some pictures about 10 minutes out of the box. I had to cut the covering on the fuze for the hor-stab and the covering is not like anything I have seen before. It is adhesive backed, will shrink with a heat gun but does not play well with an iron. That fact alone has convinced me that going E-power is the right move as a slimer will just make a mess of the covering with no good way to fix it up.

Anyway, some pictures....
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,603 Posts
I have already converted one. I have used an E-FLight "0.60", 100A Opto ESC, 15x10 APC prop, 6s 3700mAh 22c Lipo. Results are, flight performance superior to 0.60 IC, only 49A draw at full throttle, 10 mins flight time as a minimum. Airframe is superb, but a bit of a swine to land if you don't set it up right. Instructions say C of G 85mm - 90mm.....go for 85mm, tip stall at 90mm is unpleasant, despite the fact that it fly's well at that setting. Flaps needed for sure!

It is a superb model, it really is, you won't be disappointed!
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:42 PM
Joined Jun 2002
187 Posts
~

Excellent!

Can you give me some direction on the retracts you used? You get the available oleos?

How much is your AUW?
Last edited by The_Dave; Oct 16, 2007 at 01:17 PM.