Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 14, 2007, 09:10 PM
KY
Joined Sep 2006
191 Posts
Build Log
Shrike 1/2 or speed 400 3 cell 130mph set-up

Hello,
I'm back at it again. I enjoy watching something you build and cover, simple fly. I guess why I have 3 kits here waiting to be finished...
Well, Steve has been raving about the Astro Flight T-rex motor and how it would be awesome in a Sunracer. I agree, it would be Awesome...
Lets say..... IM CHEAP- LOL...
So when I met Steve, he had a Shrike he flew on Nicd's. Wow, I thought that thing halled!!! So I put two and two together, bought two shrike kits, learned what not to do and a few tricks to make the build easier from the first one. I changed a few things and went to a two servo ailerons set up. At 25.00 bucks or so these things are just cheap.

I wont recommend this for the faint of heart or beginner! Its not on the level of some of the high performance planes out there, but it works!
I included a finished pic of the model.
Heres the equiptment I used...

Motor: Astroflight T-REX Heli motor (4turn 020)

The anidized case and longer shaft help with direct drive applications add slightly to the cooling of the can.

ESC: Castle Creations PHX 45- OVERKILL

PHX 35 is plenty and a small weight savings

Battery: Tanic 3s 1750

Berg 7 Ch RX

Hs 55 for elevator and 2-Cirrus 6.2 for ailerons (good micro digtals would make a big difference, but IM CHEAP!)

All up weight: 18.5 oz

Prop: 4.75 x 4.5 APC-E or CF APC

Our inital tests from running the CF apc was on a old TP pro-lite. At 10 volts we had 26000 rpm static. With the new pack in its first cycles, by the time its cycled, we can post true radar results and accual watts and amps.

The instructions are straight foward enough for you to get through the build with a little common sence. So I wont drag out the basics of building it cause if you need to know that, PLEASE dont build this plane!
Team Astro is offline Find More Posts by Team Astro
Last edited by Team Astro; Oct 15, 2007 at 11:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:31 AM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
sweet - this is one badass shrike!
metroidrc is offline Find More Posts by metroidrc
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:55 PM
KY
Joined Sep 2006
191 Posts
Heres some more...
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:20 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Just thought I would suggest to reinforce the nose.
Don't remember exacty what happen in the crash (Been a while ) but always thought it should have held up better.

Think I was using a justgofly 400df and a 3s 20c 1200mah lipo
Need to repair it someday

Great job on the build

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Oct 15, 2007, 09:42 PM
KY
Joined Sep 2006
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPFD-E-FLYER
Just thought I would suggest to reinforce the nose.
Don't remember exacty what happen in the crash (Been a while ) but always thought it should have held up better.

Think I was using a justgofly 400df and a 3s 20c 1200mah lipo
Need to repair it someday

Great job on the build

Larry
Thanks Larry,

You can coat it with thin ca as you do the fuse bottom. I dont sand it paper thin. Steve's was rice paper thin. I sware it was dust and ca when he was done. -LOL It didnt hold up well when it glitched on landing. it knife edged into the runway like a lawn dart. I think he got the spinner and motor back with some dusty monokote wrapped around it.
Terry
Team Astro
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:03 PM
KY
Joined Sep 2006
191 Posts
Thanks to everyone for checking out the build thread. The shrike had its best flight so far yesterday on the second cycle of the Tanic Pack. It wants a few laps to blead off speed before landing. Even at 18.5 oz, it hand launches and lands respectably. im sure some slight weight savings would help that.

Usually we dont use radio mixes unless nessacery or we want a little flapperon on a foamie. We found at full throtle the Shrike wants to climb. This could be a thrust issue or maybe some small warp. We used 8% down elevator to full throtle mix. This corrected the issue from half to full throtle flight. My JR 6102 allowed a spot for this type mix. Our ailerons are also run in two separte channels with the flaps disabled.

Tell us about your 1/2A Shrike. Please feel free to post your info here too!

I cant stress straight enough. One little warp cand send it out of wack. Please always check the surfaces pre-filght for warps or damage. Remeber anything can happen from a glitch to flutter. Be safe youll have more fun flying this little dart!

Well post all the meter readings and rpm in a week or two. Hopefull will have it radared by a club member soon.

With our old Prolite TP 3 cell 2100 @ 10 volts under load- it was 290 watts and 26000 rpm. This is the battery pack we flew at NEAT Fair.
Thanks
Terry and Steve
Team Astro
Last edited by Team Astro; Oct 16, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
KY
Joined Sep 2006
191 Posts
Hello,
We did a final test fly this weekend and have the "bugs" worked out to where we pleased with the tracking and handling of the model. The new Tanic pack is only on its 3rd or 4th flight now. I plan to cycle the pack this week, as one of our club members is bringing the radar gun this Sunday to the field. Ill have all the numbers posted soon. Hope for good weather...
Terry
Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:32 PM
KY
Joined Sep 2006
191 Posts
What a day... Its less than 60 degrees here with a 10 mph wind and 15 gusts, we didnt expect to see the radar gun today...
Thanks Ellis, his only purpose for the trip to the field, was to bring the gun...

Our pack still holding close to 10+volts and rpm hasnt changed from 26000...
worst pass- 104 up wind, best pass- 127 down wind, giving us a 115 mph average, flat and level, speed. Most passes were from 100 foot dives to a 200+ ft straight run.
Our plane is close to reaching the 130 mark. In a cleaner airframe and larger pack, it should deliver 130+... If I didnt have a to be so cheap- LOL...
Terry
Team Astro
Have fun and FLY>>>
Last edited by Team Astro; Oct 30, 2007 at 07:07 PM.