Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:39 AM
Joined Oct 2007
3 Posts
Question
No throttle & ESC not entering programming mode

Hello, I'm building an eflight foamie so I purchased an ar6000 receiver, a thunder power 1320 mAH LiPo battery, an e-flight 25 amp brushless ESC and an e-flight 400 brushless motor. I put deans connectors on the battery and ESC battery leads.

After getting the leads soldered on, I hooked up a y harness to the ar6000 and bound my dx7 to it. I then removed the y harness and and tested my servos and they all checked out. Next, I hooked up everything to test my motor and program the ESC. My problem is that I can't get my ESC into programming mode. I've read and reread the instructions but to no avail. Also, even though the throttle servo connector on the ar6000 works great, I get no throttle via my ESC to the motor. I've rebound my dx7 several times and re hooked everything up making sure I didn't miss anything but with the same results.

Any ideas of what else I might try? I'm hoping this isn't a defective ESC because I already put a dean's connector on it but that seems like the most logical possibility to me. But then, this is my first electric system. I have a buddy who is into electric helicopters and has a pretty good handle on how this should work. He helped me double check everything and we are both stumped. He thinks it could be a defective ESC or motor.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

-Adam
alrdye is offline Find More Posts by alrdye
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:59 AM
If it flies I love it!
USA, CA, Tracy
Joined Jun 2005
492 Posts
Did you try putting the throttle on the WOT position for 5 seconds, then moving it back to the IDLE (off) position? Maybe your throttle channel is reversed, and you are actually moving to OFF for a few seconds then back to FULL.
Is your ESC plugged into the THRottle socket of the receiver (not the BATTery socket)? Is the polarity of the ESC / receiver connection correct? (Not the power, the 3-pin plug)

By the way, remove the propeller from your motor while you are playing with the ESC programming. No sense in allowing your plane to zoom across the room when you finally get it to work.
Dorsal is offline Find More Posts by Dorsal
Old Oct 14, 2007, 09:35 AM
Joined Oct 2007
3 Posts
I'm not sure what WOT is. I put it at both full throttle and no throttle, neither activated programming mode on the ESC. The ESC is plugged into the batter socket. I was afraid of plugging it into any of the others since it has power and I didn't want to blow any circuitry. Should it be n the throttle socket? I don't believe the polarity is reversed. I have it plugged up the same direction as the servos which seem to work, although maybe they'd work either way. Since this is my first electric there are many unknowns in my mind as to how this should be hooked up, what can be hooked up wrong and not damage anything and what can't be hooked up wrong without damaging something.

Also, the equipment isn't in the plane yet so I don't have the prop on the motor yet.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:04 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,328 Posts
The ESC normally plugs into Channel 3 on a Rx.
Channel 1 is airelons,
Channel 2 is elevator,
Channel 3 is throttle,
Channel 4 is rudder,

If you are using a 4 cell battery to power the servo's, it would plug into the battery port on the Rx, since you are using the ESC bec, you won't need the 4 cell pack.

Read up on info in here: http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ea-electric-8/

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:08 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Challenger beat me to it.

Most systems with a BEC equipped ESC use Channel 3 for the throttle - the BATT socket is only used if you have an OPTO ESC and need an external pack to power the system.

Is it Airtronics which uses Channel 1 for throttle??? I'm told it is JR.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Oct 15, 2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
Joined Oct 2007
3 Posts
Challenger 413 & Dr Kiwi:

Very good, thanks! That did the trick. I was thinking that the throttle was only there for gas vehicles. I plugged the ESC lead into the throttle socket and now my motor fires up and I get the proper ESC programming mode tones. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 02:23 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
Is it Airtronics which uses Channel 1 for throttle???
No, it's JR.

FYI, Multiplex uses channel 4.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:24 AM
Frederick Maryland USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,042 Posts
I think that he said that it was a DX7 which I believe uses channel #1 for the throttle like JR products.
Duetto is offline Find More Posts by Duetto