HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:24 AM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Build Log
Scratch Built River Tow

This is my first post here after I finally got my username striaghtened out. Sheeeewww..... Anyway, I would like to say hello to everyone here and share my first scratch build with everyone. This was my first try at scratch building a model boat. I'll try to get all the pics of it on here for you to look at. The boat is finally finished other than a few minor details that I will add later. I took it out for it's maiden run yesterday (10-13-07). I hope you enjoy the build. - boat_builder
boat_builder is offline Find More Posts by boat_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:51 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,327 Posts
Hi there boat builder!

The river tow looks pretty good! It also looks huge! How long is that thing? Did you use an air powered nail gun to stick it together?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:04 AM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
More Pics of the build

Here are some more pics of the build. I tried to get them in order from earliest taken to most current. It is still a work in progress as I am still adding some more details everyday. I hope you enjoy!!!! - boat_builder
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:07 AM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Hi there boat builder!

The river tow looks pretty good! It also looks huge! How long is that thing? Did you use an air powered nail gun to stick it together?

Hey thanks!!!! This is my first scratch build.... It is 48" long and 16.5" wide. Yes, I used an air nailer with 1/2" - 1 1/2" brad staples. I also used adhesive between the joints as well. If not anything else....she's strong!!! - boat_builder
Last edited by boat_builder; Oct 14, 2007 at 01:30 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:14 AM
master boat slacker
USA, NY, Mastic Beach
Joined Feb 2006
574 Posts
SUPER SPRINGER

nice work on your first scratch build
bigford is offline Find More Posts by bigford
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:19 AM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford
SUPER SPRINGER

nice work on your first scratch build
Hey thanks!!!!!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:29 AM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
For the electronics, I am using a standard 2 channel AM psital type Futaba radio, High torque Hitec brand steering servo, Novak Super Rooster ESC w/ a cooling fan on the radio box, 2 12volt 7ah. Torque Master batteries and 2 9000 series Pittman Motors. The motors work pretty good but I am wanting some better motors that will swing some bigger screws. I would like it to perform like a Harbor Models powered Mr. Darby.. I chose the Novak S.R. ESC because I have always used them for high current applications, but it is over-kill for this boat/motor combo.. It's a real shame that Novak discontinued them.

If anyone has any good advice or comments on this project, or on how I can get more pushing/pulling power out of this boat...please throw me a bone, I could probably use the help... - boat_builder
Old Oct 14, 2007, 09:19 AM
master boat slacker
USA, NY, Mastic Beach
Joined Feb 2006
574 Posts
towboat joe would be your advise guy on this type of boat
bigford is offline Find More Posts by bigford
Old Oct 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
That's definately a strong looking boat. Sorry I have to disagree with the Springer design, the hull is more along the lines of my polo tug.

Boat builder you can get lots of detailing ideas from my site since river workboats is all I specialize in.

http://www.towboatjoe.com
towboat@windstream.net
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,327 Posts
The completed boat looks fantastic! Lighting and all. wow! And it's man sized! I like that!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:15 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,735 Posts
Excellent job! You may want to consider naming her Clydesdale because she is one big horse . I would think it'll handle a good sized barge string as it is.

The lighting has a great effect. Towboat spots throw a lot of light. A friend of mine used to duck hunt on the Mississippi River and he said you could see a tow coming for 5 miles.

If this is your first scratch attempt we'll have to keep an eye on you for some really impressive boats. Nicely done.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:29 AM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
SoCal
Joined Jul 2007
706 Posts
can your river tow do this!
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~soldier/towboat.htm

Great job... you make it look easy for your frist build... u even got lights!!!
Reid is offline Find More Posts by Reid
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
can your river tow do this!
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~soldier/towboat.htm

Great job... you make it look easy for your frist build... u even got lights!!!

I'm not sure if this boat could pull that off or not but I hope I'm never put in position. I have seen the actual video footage of that mishap in one of my training classes for an OSHA certification.

Thanks for the compliments on the build! I have really suprised myself (and my wife) with this build. I never attempted to scratch build a boat till now, I've never even assembled a wooden boat kit!!!! I guess I just have a knack for it so to speak....
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:36 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
The completed boat looks fantastic! Lighting and all. wow! And it's man sized! I like that!
I was thinking along those lines, but was tending toward,...
"wow, super strong heavy timber construction."

Great first build!!
Welcome to RCgroups.
Be careful around these boards, the guys here will want you to built the boat, and the coffe pot too!
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:44 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem
Excellent job! You may want to consider naming her Clydesdale because she is one big horse . I would think it'll handle a good sized barge string as it is.

The lighting has a great effect. Towboat spots throw a lot of light. A friend of mine used to duck hunt on the Mississippi River and he said you could see a tow coming for 5 miles.

If this is your first scratch attempt we'll have to keep an eye on you for some really impressive boats. Nicely done.

Hey thanks...I'm thinking that I may name her the "Jennifer Ann" after my wife. She kind of laughed when I told her but now she likes it.

I'm not sure if they will work well for smaller scale Tow's and Tug's or not because of their size, but I'll tell you the secret of the spot lights. Go down to ole' Wally-World and find the flashlight section. Pick up a few of the L.E.D. Conversion kits for the 2AA sized flashlights, they are roughly $5 ea. They have 3 superbright L.E.D.s clustered together to make one beam of light and they even come with a reflector. That is the heart of my spot lights and yes, they are very very bright especially at night. You cant look directly at them because they'll make you see spots for a good while...