HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2001, 11:02 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,712 Posts
2nd Trainer/Sport/Advanced "ALL in ONE Electric"

Wow.... check this one out, a plane that can go from luke warm to hot performing by changing the configuration of the wing. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128416.htm
Anybody got one flying yet?? Hype? or can it walk the walk? Looks good enough to sell a bunch IF it works.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2001, 04:36 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum12/HTML/001221.html
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Apr 18, 2001, 04:48 PM
Azusa, CA, USA
Joined Dec 1996
66 Posts
Looks good, but a bit too small for me. Anything under 50" is really too small for me.
dpseadave is offline Find More Posts by dpseadave
Old Apr 18, 2001, 04:54 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,099 Posts
See, also,
http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum12/HTML/001731.html

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Apr 18, 2001, 04:57 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,396 Posts
Not sure what kind of plane you're really looking for, but I think the Hawk done as A&E fits this bill a bit better -- the Sporty is a bit more advanced than the Hawk.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Apr 18, 2001, 09:39 PM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
I've been flying the Wattage Hawk for more than 2 months now everytime I get a chance and this baby is a rush to fly!! I fly this more than my Ferias now because it's faster and smaller to carry in the trunk all assembled and ready to fly! I'am almost positive that my Hawk will outperform the Wattage sporty once I converted it with Ailerons(Hobbypeople sells it as option)because it uses a 400 motor! (Sporty can accomodate up to a 370 motor with gears). Have fun!!!
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
Old Apr 19, 2001, 12:55 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,943 Posts
Hmmmmm! Looks good, Slo Flyer Sport Plane. Might have to buy one. Anyone review it yet?

PeterV
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Apr 19, 2001, 11:39 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,099 Posts
Tnsfrk:

I hope to have the answer to that question soon as I'm planning on building a second Sporty with a speed 400 direct drive set up like the Hawk (appropriately built with wing and tail feathers from a crashed Hawk). The Sporty wing and tail feathers are virtually the same. (The Sporty wing has a taper on the TE while the Hawk TE is straight.) I think the Hawk will still be a bit faster, but not because of the power set up. The Hawk fuse is thinner, lighter, and less draggy and that will probably make the difference.

Neil
Old Apr 19, 2001, 01:09 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dpseadave:
Looks good, but a bit too small for me. Anything under 50" is really too small for me.
Uhhh, Dave...
Look down. Your testosterone is showing.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 19, 2001, 09:48 PM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Hi Neil, let me know how it work out! You think the 400 motor will fit the bay? I'am almost tempted on buying the SPORT too but I guess it's a lot harder to work with foam-I downloaded the manual from the Hobbypeople website and you have to make holes for the wing dowels, servo arms, etc. -I don't know-plus the way the batt. is exposed in the bottom-it looks awesome as a finished product though!!!
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
Old Apr 20, 2001, 09:31 AM
Anacortes, Wa. USA
Joined Aug 2000
290 Posts
Tnsfrk-

The foam is not difficult to work with. It's actually quite easy. As far as making the holes for the wing dowels, mark their location with a pencil and then either drill through (easy) or just carefully push a sharpened pencil through (even easier). The hole for the elevator pushrod is already molded and open - just comes out the back. The hole for the rudder pushrod is molded - just push a pencil through to open it up. The battery on the bottom is not bad at all. The airplane has LG that keeps it off the ground and having the battery on the outside makes removal and charging a snap.

Todd
ToddNicholson is offline Find More Posts by ToddNicholson
Old Apr 20, 2001, 11:19 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,099 Posts
Tnsfrk:

I certainly agree with Todd about working with foam -- what could be easier? As far as fitting a s400 into the Sporty, Mike Greenshields of Hobby People (who has posted responses on some of the other Hawk/Sporty threads) says that it fits fine and the Sporty flies great with Hawk power system. You just have to figure out a mounting system. I'm just planning on inserting two dowels into the firewall and holding the motor on with rubber bands.

However, I have to say that I've been reading these posts about putting an Astro 010 in the Hawk, and I'm now thinking seriously about making an 010 Sporty. I think the motors are back ordered now though, so I may just go ahead with the s400 and keep the 010 idea for the future.

Neil