HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:12 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
Cool
Speed Is Alive In New Jersey

If ever you get ants in your pants to build a hot rod of a boat - this might fill the bill. It was a club project build in my club “ Garden State Model Boaters”. sorry for the plug. That turned out to be a lot of fun. The boat was an east coast 18’ Garvey that every one had to build to the same scale of 1/8” to the foot or a 27” long boat and we all used the same plans. The other restriction was that we could only use a 6 cell 7.2 volt battery pack for power. The hull and bottom had to be built straight from the plans , but the deck arrangement could be anything you wanted. The Garvey boat is a pure garden state boat having been built here for well over two hundred years in some form or other. The pure bread Speed Garvey’s, which this is not one of, can hit over 100 miles an hour and can make for a hair raising ride.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Last edited by frankg; Oct 13, 2007 at 11:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:46 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
She really looks trim at speed , and I really like the local flavor
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:51 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Where can someone get the plans?

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:45 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,886 Posts
Hey, my buddy Eddie Hansen is Commodore of that club!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 14, 2007, 09:18 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
Kmot- Ed steped down as our leader for this year, but still remains the forever speed nut of our club. He has one of the fastest electric 1/8 scale hydro's I have ever seen out side of some articles in the mags I have read. At one of our meets he and fellow club member Jim brought their 1/8 scale hydro's and put on a speed show for the club. You haven't lived untill you see one of these beauties run across the lake at just over 60 MPH. Be perpared if you try to be a go fast guy because it cooooooost big buck's.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:05 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Frankg, cool boat,it really hauls the mail on 7.2v. Hey, what motor and prop did you use?
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:41 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
STEVECIAMBRONE- I have a set of plans which I can E-mail you but they are in AUTO-CAD LT. I think I can E-MAIL you the plans as a PDF file which you should be able to open , but I need your E-mail address.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:55 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
Tim slocum- The motor I used was a MACK model #3600 marine motor turning direct drive to a Octura 0937/3 propeller. All the hardware on the boat was also form MACK. www.mackproductsrc.com. This is one of the simplest boats you will ever frame up or build in your life and yet it delivers kick ass speed when the right power is supplied. The whole model was built with balsa wood , completely, then coated with polyester resin (no cloth) for finish. Every little bit of weight you save means more speed. This speed thing can be contagious!!!
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:09 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Frankg, I know what you mean about going fast being contagious! Ever since I hot rodded my Proboat Runabout, I've had a need for speed. The Mack 3600 motor is one I considered for my Classic, I wonder with a 37mm prop does the 3600 get hot? I didnt eleminate my heat problems until I went with a fan cooled motor(Titan) and a smaller prop(Octura x430) I'll tell you,for me alot of the fun of going fast is finding just the right combo of motor,esc,cooling, and prop.

Forecast for today. Sunny, high of 80deg , light wind. Daughter at work from 1pm-8pm. Batteries charging. I'M GOING TO THE LAKE!!!!!
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:37 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,613 Posts
Except for the flat bow it looks like a Jersey Sea Skiff which you used to race, didn't you Frank? We called a small, flat bow row boat a Garvey when I'd summer in Ship Bottom.
Ed
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Oct 14, 2007, 04:04 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
420TEE- The only thing the two boats have in common is that they are flat bottom class boats along with SK’s, and CRACKER Box’s. The GARVEY is the simplest of the boats to construct since it is a true flat bottom with 90 degree slab sides with a flat turned up bow. All in all it really is an ugly boat with a capital “G”. By the way the real speed garvey’s use the prefix “G” in front of their racing numbers on the boat. The reason for the “H” on the model was to honor one of our members in the club who passed away after donating the plans to the club for a club project. Now JERSEY SPEED Skiff’s are a whole another story. They are not quite as fast as the Garvey’s in the straight always but can out turn them at every turn. Outlaw Speed Skiffs can hit in excess of 75 mph in the straights and kill you in the turns. And speed skiff’s in a turn are pee in your pants experience!!!.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:07 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
STEVECIAMBRONE- I have a set of plans which I can E-mail you but they are in AUTO-CAD LT. I think I can E-MAIL you the plans as a PDF file which you should be able to open , but I need your E-mail address.
Sent a Private Message

Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone