HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:02 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Build Log
OldSkool Hotliner repair and slope conversion

A few months ago we had a huge swap meet here in San Diego. There were tons of stuff there, selling at amazing prices. Or so I hear...I was saving for tuition at the time and couldn't afford to go.

However, Oranator did go, and managed to get a great deal on a "ready to fly" hotliner. After pulling the power system out, he decided to be a really frood dude and donate the airframe and servos to his poor college friend.

Its pretty sweet, and reminds me of what the high performance guys were flying when I first started flying. No fancy wingtips, UHM carbon, or razor thin wings. Just a tapered planform, clean fuselage, and light molded build.

I can't believe how light it is. Definitely lighter than my mini destiny, and its twice as big! Its got plenty of room for lead, but I don't know whether or not I can even trust it to stay in one piece if I load it up. What do you guys think?

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Last edited by raptor22; Oct 13, 2007 at 01:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:08 AM
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
its a beater

The thing is, its a beater in every sense of the word. It has lived a hard life, and seems to have been owned by someone who thought that tape was a great moldie repair method. Holes, cracks, delams, busted crap everywhere all covered in packing tape and sprayed over. At least I don't have to worry about ruining the finish .

Most of those taped-over spots aren't too badly damaged. The majority are just dings and hairline cracks. There are just enough of them that the whole wing had become pretty flexible. The two main issues are a really busted LE on the left wingtip, and a thumb-sized hole in the left wing.

If you can guess how many pieces of tape are on the right leading edge, I'll give you a piece of candy .

--Alex
Last edited by raptor22; Oct 13, 2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 03:06 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
222 Posts
Yes, oldschool beaten up hotliners make great slope ships... the only problem is, they are so light that they need a good LZ, especially when loaded up. A friend had an Ariane loaded up to about 100 oz and both flap servos died when he did a hard snapflap turn

I guess you will be repairing the wing a bit to get the stiffness back?

Philipp
Akerman is online now Find More Posts by Akerman
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:12 AM
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
lol. I know that it will get bashed up here in the socal lz's, but I will probably only fly it in fairly light conditions....and I really don't mind if it gets beat up.

I definitely will be doing repairs, then adding a ballast tube and glassing a new nosecone on. I'm pretty sure it would flutter itself to pieces if I flew it very hard the way it is.

However, the repairs will be very basic. Anything I can fill with micro balloons instead of doing a real glass job will get finished that way.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:14 PM
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
The first step is to remove all that tape to see what the damage is like underneath. Then, go through and start to wick thin CA into all those cracks and splits that still fit together nicely. If this were a new ship, I would follow up with filler and glass to make it totally strong and smooth, but CA is good enough for my purposes here.

Unfortunately, when I removed some of the tape, I saw through a hole that the spar had delaminated from the top skin. Fortunately, the spar was still intact, and the delam was only at the tips. So, instead of getting a syringe to apply slow cure epoxy into the layers, I chose to just wick a ton of CA into the crack.

--Alex
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:43 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,501 Posts
well, i can same with some certainty that this was not a hanger queen!

satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:24 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Looks like the queen had a go with the football team and got a bad rash!! It certainly looks fixable and anything will be an improvement from what your starting with. Good luck epoxy microballons tape and CA and it will be good as new, well sorta!!! jimmy
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:35 PM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,262 Posts
Looking good ALEX.
If you need anything else to make it fly let me know.

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:48 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,465 Posts
If you wanted to keep it 4-6oz lighter, you could mount a bellcrank where the servo goes in the tail; that would help eliminate balance weight.
If not, just rememeber that you don't need an 85 back there.
I had a HS-55 in my Bandit, and it was FINE! So these days I'd likely look at an HS-56 or something along that lines.

The only other problem besides light layups with converted hotliners, is the control surface sizes are typically a bit smaller. But from the looks of it, you should be fine on the elevator. Just don't expect it to roll like a pitcheron plane.

Looks like a great project. Good luck.

Target

PS. You could probably add flaps if you wanted to...
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:25 PM
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Thanks Oran. It was awesome for you to give it to me.

A bellcrank is a great idea. It will probably be quite a floater as it is, but I will keep it in mind if it needs a lot of nose wieght.

After CA'ing all the cracks and breaks, it was time to start covering those holes. I decided to start with the left wing panel (thumb sized hole) because it was a small repair.

The first step in repairing any hole is to cut away the old broken stuff. Then, if it is a LE repair, you can go straight to adding epoxy and microbaloons.

However, since the epoxy doesn't like to bridge gaps in flat surfaces, this repair also needed some material to support the epoxy. I chose to bridge the gap with a piece of balsa glued to the inside of the wing.

--Alex
Old Nov 30, 2007, 08:50 PM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,262 Posts
BUMP

Get busy.
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2011, 09:47 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,909 Posts
Whatever happened to the rest of this repair? Does the author have any more pics of continued repair work? I have a project that needs fixing.
Thanks, Bob
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob