SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:36 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
Discussion
Ultracoat vs Monokote

I've been a monokoter for years off and on... I tried ultracoat and I cannot believe the difference across all aspects... Much easier to apply without wrinkles and takes lower heat and seems to shrink much more evenly. Even compound curves are easier. It seems less thick as well which I guess is what makes it easier to use.. but seems to still have the same puncture resistance. My covering jobs were always less than I liked but I'm never going back. My 4 star is coming out great! .. Is it me or have others noticed the same thing. I honestly can't beleive there is such a difference between the two products.
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:51 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,934 Posts
Your observations are correct.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:24 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
Monokote is a pig to apply. Ultracoat is way easier in comparison.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:29 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,934 Posts
Monokote is strong and it has a lot of neat colors.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:33 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
FWIW, the Ultracote is actually stronger when it comes to punctures. I've had monokote ripped to shreds from landing in the crop. Way less likely to have damage with Ultracote.

That said, the monokote does seem to reshrink up from later sags better than the Ultracote.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:04 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
I quit using Moneycote years ago. It's all I used to use until they made it "new and improved" My Monocote started to shatter after a year.
Actually yesterday at the field I was commenting to a newbie while my buddy was flying a plane I gave him. It was the first plane that I used Ultracote on. I didn't realize how long ago that was until I started to think about it. The plane was about 5 years old when I gave it to my buddy, and I gave it to him about 5 years ago when I switched to electric only... It still has the original Ultracote, and not a single tear, and this plane got a ton of use when I had it, and just as much now that he is flying it.
My buddies, Giant U-Can-do that is factory finished in Monocote, and this is it's first season, is already shattering in places....

That's why I use Ultracote, and couldn't be happier with it.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2