Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench
NEWT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey you asked.
Newt would make a very fine President.

However, the left would fight so hard he wouldn't stand a chance in the long run. Smears galore would appear.

Well, we've seen all the "I hate Bush" posts. Could you imagine what would happen if Newt was Prez?
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:49 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,714 Posts
I really donít think the problem is who is running for president, but what Arbo said in the beginning, "Why would we vote for a person when we only agree with a little of what they believe," highlights the real problem. We, as a people no longer know what we want or where we are going.

Even more so, the biggest problem is......."A ward of the state should have no part in the governance of the state." Biblically speaking, "If they don't work, they don't eat." Not a troll and not intended to be cruel, just a fact.

So when we have a people start going in a common direction, the leader can indeed be such.

But this will never happen because for the past 70 years or so, taxes have been levied to buy votes to keep people in office. I don't see a change in the trend.

Lyle
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Lyle, thanks for taking it seriously. I wondered if anyone would. It is a big problem, and wonder how to fix it.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:54 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo
Given the thread BA started, which links to the 'who do you support' quiz, I got to thinking about why so many of the numbers (agreement) were so low.
Americans are smart enough to know that there is a difference between what we "want", what the nation can "do" and what would be "good".

Americans want out of Iraq. They hate war. But they also know that we must win and that might change the first desire.

People hate going to a dentist. Yet they go year after year.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:02 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,714 Posts
"Americans hate war."

A great statement and a fact. But we can do it well, although since WWII our wars have been more as political wars rather than survival wars.

Kind of like a statement by Mr. Miyagi said in one of the Karate Kid movies, "Fighting is bad, but if must fight.....WIN."

That is pretty muchly my sentiment.

Peace or War,
Lyle
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:48 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Maybe Retired Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/...hez/index.html

He'd get my vote...

But, he also said, "The U.S. cannot pull out of Iraq without causing chaos that would have global implications." which is the point many have already made.
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:49 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,736 Posts
Punkie, after your description of your perfect day, I'm ready to emigrate! However, I'm not sure Gloriana would want us all back, are you? We DO come with baggage.....but maybe some of us could enliven the CofE for you.....

howell
gwinhh is online now Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:47 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
598 Posts
Leave the C of E alone, Its taken years to get to the stage of a state religion that does not require a belief in god to be a member.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:14 PM
Tryin 2 get in2 slot cars
Viktoria, British Kolumbia, Kanada
Joined Feb 2005
410 Posts
I think "Americans love war" might be just as true as "Americans hate war." (braced for angry retaliation...)
jay flay tway is offline Find More Posts by jay flay tway
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:55 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay flay tway
I think "Americans love war" might be just as true as "Americans hate war." (braced for angry retaliation...)
I'd say it's a bit more complicated. The population seems easy to talk into a war that is billed as simple, e.g., Panama or Grenada. Iraq was thought to be so at the beginning, but once it got more difficult and the death toll mounted and stories like Abu Ghraib emerged, public opinion rapidly shifted. Had the media looked at the war more critically when it was being promoted by the administration, events may have been different. As it is, it is now a political and economic millstone for many years to come.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
If I remember correctly, neither the Panama or Grenada actions were announced beforehand.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:02 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
I would also add that public perception of Iraq did not really shift rapidly. I think it took several years to come around. One could at least make the case it was considered positive right up until Bush was reelected.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Oct 14, 2007, 04:31 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,979 Posts
Vote for Alfred E. Neuman!!!
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
I see this thread as an example of why we have a bunch of idiots in charge of government. The people are too apathetic.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)