SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1 Posts
Alert
No Longer Supporting Horizon Hobby !!!!

I will no longer buy anything Horizon Hobby produces! I don't care how nice a product is. In my opinion this company is NOT American anymore. They support RPM (Retail Price Maintence) which in affect, affects us all. Basically they're fixing their prices so that every "Retailer" has to sell their products for a "Fixed Price" which is set by them. This is why you no longer see discount prices on any of their products.

Myrcsupply.com was one of their biggest dicount dealers. They have been completely shut down because of Horizon Hobby and their lawyers.

RPM was just ruled as being "legal" by the Supreme Court in June 2007. You can read all about it if you Google "Retail Price Maintenance".

In my opinion, any company that supports RPM is un-American and is against following the Constitution of America!!! Free Enterprise and Anti-Trust Laws.

I have no idea why the Supreme Court has over turned a 100 year old law that made RPM illegal!

I'm sure there's a lot more to come.

Signed disgusted!
BrasilBeauty is offline Find More Posts by BrasilBeauty
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:38 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,284 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call it un-American. It does put all vendors on a level field.
Consider the large retailers can offer products at lower prices than the LHS because they buy in larger quantities with the usual quantity discounts. This puts the LHS at a disadvantage. When Joe Flyer goes into his LHS and learns the new plane is a few dollars cheaper at Big Hobbies where would do you think he will buy?
RPM puts the local shop on an equal footing with the big guys. That just might keep your LHS around a little longer. Not a bad idea unless of course you enjoy buying your epoxy long distance.

BM
BillM is online now Find More Posts by BillM
Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:33 PM
early retired & loving it
USA, AZ, Kingman
Joined Aug 2005
1,229 Posts
I never buy "pay per view". I never even watch first run DVD's. Unless thay are at "RED BOX" for $1. http://redbox.com/
My point, when the playing field is level I find another playing field. When I can't beat retail I don't buy!!! I find enough deals on closouts and overstocks to keep my in models for the rest of my life. Even Tower closes out some great deals. I have 4 ultrafly furious bipes at $20-$29 where the retail was $54. I just bought a GWS p-38 for $14 with a $20 coupon when most are selling at $50 or more.
When I can't find a certain model or accessory at a lower price then I just look for something else. I've been happy in this hobby for 38 years.
bnrusso is offline Find More Posts by bnrusso
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:52 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
I also wont buy from a company who what we call here "price fix" which is a "recommended retail ect" unfortunately fuel here is fixed even though its illegal
nitroshark is offline Find More Posts by nitroshark
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:07 AM
Bowling Green,Ky
Joined Sep 2004
311 Posts
Just went to their web site, and they seem to be open. Dennis
Dadstoysbg is offline Find More Posts by Dadstoysbg
Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:31 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
They set the minimum price. Not the maximum.
There will still be price differences between stores.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:02 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2003
581 Posts
I can see the point of trying to protect the LHS. I've always had great service from Horizon but I don't like the fact that they NEVER have sales. Tower & HL almost always have some coupon code or other discount.

Mike
MikeF is offline Find More Posts by MikeF
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 Posts
What a hoot, another person(s) upset about MAP and RPM. It's always declared to be unconstitutional and un-American by these naysayers.

Truth is that you are in the wrong hobby, you really need to consider leaving modeling as nearly everything for sell in it is MAPed.

How about oil, you know what OPEC does ..... MAP. Think about it. Very nearly everything in this country has some kine of MAP, known or unknown .... it is MAPed.

Want to build a house, every wonder why every builder in your area chargers about the same price for the same spec house. MAP!

Horizon Hobby has a very good reputation, they offer very good customer service and the truth of the matter is .... their MAPing helps to keep the LHS in business. Ever wonder why you go into a hobby shop and don't see many trains? It is because for years they were being dumped onto the market by the distributors/manufacturers. A $300 train at a LHS was selling for $125 at the flea market. Not good for the business at all. Eventually the price deludes enough that the manufacturer no longer makes the product.

Hobby Lobby, Horizon, MRC and others do a great service to this hobby, by MAPing they keep the price at a point where the product cost about the same for everyone. Everyone makes money, anyone who wants a part has a chance to get the part and the industry is encouraged to continue to innovate.

If you have problems with all of this, you may want to take up whittling wood, but be warned ... Wal-Mart has mapped the price of the knife that you will whittle with.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Oct 14, 2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:15 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF
I can see the point of trying to protect the LHS. I've always had great service from Horizon but I don't like the fact that they NEVER have sales. Tower & HL almost always have some coupon code or other discount.

Mike
True, seldom see a sale from Horizon Hobby. I am always suspecious of any kind of sale. A 'sale' to me means that the price is too high already. Take a look at the Futaba radios that Tower has had on sale for a while now. Out of the kindness of their hearts, you can get $15 cash or $30 dollars in merchandise.

There is no doubt that Tower can come down even more, they could take $70 or more dollars of the 9C and still make money from the radio.

My greatest complaint about HH is that they have way too many items on backorder. No outfit the size of Horizon should EVER be out of battery terminals/connectors. They have lost a lot of business from me simply because they always have the power connectors on backorder. I can go elsewhere and do one stop shopping.

All that aside, Horizon Hobby still has darn good service and they go out of their way to take care of their customers. I can say the say about Hobby Lobby as well.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Oct 14, 2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 03:01 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,507 Posts
Plus, 1 post, and it's to complain about a well respected company. It doesn't add much to the forum.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:50 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Korn
Plus, 1 post, and it's to complain about a well respected company. It doesn't add much to the forum.
concur...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:28 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
My LHS always has HH pproducts at around 10% lower than HH, sometimes even lower. How about a Power-10 for $65, MFX for $99?

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:35 PM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
There are ways around MAP pricing, so you can always get a discount if you look. Or ask. Generally a store can't advertise at a lower prices than MAP, but they can sell it for any price they want if they agree to a lower price with the customer on an individual basis. It does level the playing field, but I find may retail stores charge above MAP anyway, so you still get discounts online or at shows.

Also, if you are not going to suppor Horizon, most of the other major RC distributors in the US have the same policy.

OPEC does not do MAP pricing. They can only control the quotas for individual countries and they can't enforce the quota or the price member countries sell the oil at or the price. That's why there is wide spread cheating amoung member nations. There is way to much oil produced outside of OPEC for them to control prices, especially with worldwide commodities exchanges. FWIW

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:43 PM
Athens, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,669 Posts
Horizon has some of the best RC stuff in the market place and I hope they will be around always. You who do not like them need to spend your money elsewhere. Horizon won't miss you!
ekotil is offline Find More Posts by ekotil
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:02 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Korn
Seems to be more and more of this lately.
m4rs is offline Find More Posts by m4rs