HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2004
35 Posts
Discussion
Foam Boat Plans?????

I keep seeing people every once and a while post pics of a foam boat they built. Do plans exist for these or are people just making them up as they go? I want to build something out of depron or similar and glass it. Where can I find plans if they do exist? Thanks in advance for the help!

Kyle
wiredconcepts is offline Find More Posts by wiredconcepts
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2007, 01:10 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,205 Posts
Pretty much any plan will do, it is just a matter of the materials you use to assemble the parts.

Scroll down and look for theos "pesky free plans...."
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457330
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
Some are made up as they go; others are built from plans purchased from a vendor. Some of the vendores are:
Radio Control Boat Modeler
Taubman Plans is part of Loyalhanna Dockyard, and might have plans that could be used.

The Maxam fast electric is made with cardboard folded to shape and covered in fiberglass; might be a good one to start with. The Stepped Hydro Pool Racer uses thicker insulating foam for the hull.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:30 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
On this link http://www.towboatjoe.com/hulls.htm about half way down the page is River Bill's technique of using foam.

Regardless of what technique you use remember to use a barrier between the foam and fiberglass resin for the resin will desove the foam. most modelers use a decopage type covering using newspaper and mixture of water and white glue.

Extruded foam used in insulating homes is great and scraps can usually be picked up at construction sites for free. Stay away from the beaded type of foam. It doesn't sand well and just likes to flake off in little beads.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:07 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
I use urethane foam, available at places dealing in refrigeration insulation. It's totally impervious to most solvents, and can be fiberglassed over without any barrier.

---and it sands nicely.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Oct 16, 2007, 05:59 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Surf board blanks...

made for fiberglassing and can be sanded to near perfection. Abundant on the web.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:57 AM
AME2(AW) Scott D. Oram, USN
San Diego, California
Joined Aug 2005
67 Posts
I used Insulation Foam in a can. Rough shaped it as I sprayed, then carved and sanded it to shape. Laid the fiberglass resin and matte right on it.

See pictures here: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t=000_0883.jpg
ScottOram is offline Find More Posts by ScottOram