HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:43 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,065 Posts
Discussion
Balsa USA Bristol M1c

I've finally flown my old Bristol M1c. It was more of a test hop actually but it has flown. I started a thread in the Gas to Electric Forum but I'll continue it here ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...64#post8325591 ). I built this plane about 20 years ago and never flew it. I originally had a nice Saito .65 4c in it. Made a lovely noise with a 13" prop. In any event, I put in an old Astro Cobalt 15 on an MAT 3.5:1 belt drive with a 13x8 MAS prop on 12 GP3300 nimh's. Either not enough battery or not enough prop. I went to BP Hobbies today and picked up a number of large props. Look like on 16x10 MAS with the same 12 cells it will have a good bit of grunt: 93 oz thrust/30.1 amps/45.7 mph pitch speed/6:34 duration WOT. If that's not enough then I can add 4 cells and prop down to a 13x10 MAS. That'll give more speed and thrust.

Give a quick look at the linked thread. There's a very cool video of the Shuttleworth replica. The first few minutes are a walkaround of the M1c and the last few minutes are of it running up, taking off, passing the camera and then landing. The link alos gives a description of the minor damage sustained by coming down hard on the LG.

Here are a few photos of the repaied and modified LG. It now has much needed suspension travel. It's only a mock-up of the suspended gear but you'll get the idea of how it'll work. The axel is 4mm carbon fiber. The ends will have brass tubing slipped over it and a small hole will be drilled for a cotter pin to hold on the wheel.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:14 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,780 Posts
Good to see another M1 here Mike

Yes- that video is inspiring - I downloaded it and have yet another drool every few days to help kick me along

Keep us informed about your power/prop trials and tribulations.

I've probably asked before, how big/heavy is your M1c - fairly big if it needed a .61 to drive it!

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:28 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,065 Posts
It's pretty big. 63" wingspan and nearly 7lbs AUW. I corresponded with a fellow who got his down to about 5 1/2 to 6 lbs. Maybe I can too.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Mike
The RealWorld would love some conversion shots of your Bristol

The way to lighten up kits is real easy, but a little wasteful. You use all the cut-out wood bits in the kit as templates to make lighter bits, while the plan makes a great starting point to redesign the structure to take its new drivetrain. Then, most important, you prop the cowling up at the front and work backwards, creating a really good structure to suit an electric drivetrain.

I cheated with my dear old Great Planes CAP 232 - I used the kit's rudder

If anyone fancies a Bristol in other sizes (carefully avoiding any Big Bristol jokes, which would probably only be funny to male UK born modellers anyway...), the UK mags have published several varying sizes over the years, from around 36", but FF, to a really larger scale RC version. "Aeromodeller" and possibly Aviation Modeller International spring to mind as culprits.

It's a neat model indeed.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:03 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,065 Posts
Well, not much in the way of good news to report other than the 16x10 prop has given the M1c a good bit more pull. I took it out this evening to see how the prop change and landing gear mods perform. It was already getting dark so I was again only looking to test hop. Took off fine on the third attempt, the two previous attempts ending in hard swings to the left and then to the right when I over compensated for the torque of the big prop.

Back to the flight. Easy lift off after about 60 feet and up to around 10 feet of alt. I lowered the nose to maintian speed and eased back power. At touchdown I heard the landing gear being shed and the plane coming to an abrupt halt. I'm certain that in modifying the gear for shock absorbancy I mucked it up in not going the extra mile, or in this case, 1 inch. It needs a travel limiter so the "V" of the LG does not dig into the ground which is what I believe happened. The first photo shows what happened last time I flew it. I did in fact make a perfectly scale landing!

Always time to make repairs isn't there.

Mike
RCG Plus Member