HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2008, 09:43 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
I got that figured out. Found metal rod at the hobby store, which worked perfectly. I now have everything installed. I have test driven it a couple of times and things are going well. Still a bit more shaft vibration than I'd like at high speed, but much better than it was. The only problem I have now, is that periodically the shaft pulls out from the set screws. I can't seem to get them to tighten down like they should. I ground a flat area onto the shaft as there wasn't one. Amy suggestions. I may try seeing if I can get new couplers/ set screws through dumas since these ones don't deem to be threaded correctly.

I have just ordered some deck hardware from MACK including door handle, gas cap, and exhaust tips. I'll post some pictures or video of it in action soon.
lyman135 is offline Find More Posts by lyman135
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:23 AM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
A few deck fittings to install, windows still need to go in.
I decided I wanted to run the boat in the lake today (Lake Ontario). When I got there, it was pretty rough, but I decided to run it anyway. I had to take off the plastic roof, because the wind was so strong, it kept blowing off. I need to find a way to keep it attached better. Here's a look. Its pretty short because my camera batteries were dying. It handled the waves pretty well.

Osprey in Lake Ontario (0 min 28 sec)
Last edited by lyman135; May 15, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:26 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Nice Job Lyman! Nice body of water too!!! Fresh water, nothing on the horizon... still hurts my head!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
Pretty choppy there for a model boat but she did take the waves very well. Nice job on the boat and the video ain't bad either. Not easy to run the boat and take the pictures too. Don't thonk I've ever seen that much fresh water in my life. Way to go Lyman. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:36 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
A couple of issues to throw out and see if anyone has suggestions:
I'm still having some problems with the prop shaft tube vibrating. At full throttle it rattles so loudly even in the water that it sounds like the whole boat is going to fall apart. It looks like, as far as I can tell, that everything is lined up pretty well. I used the supplied Dumas dog bone coupler, so even if it is a little bit out of alignment it shouldn't be a big deal as its not a solid connection. I thought of putting more grease into the tube, but the oilte bearings are ca'd in place so I can't really add more. Also, after running, grease from the tube is slung all over inside the bilge. The bearings are in tight, but somehow it must be ozzing out and being flung everywhere. Does anyone else have this problem. It hasn't happened in my other boats. The last issue is that the motor/esc often cuts in and out. What would be causing this interference? I stretched the antenna all through the bilge, trying to maximize its exposure and keep it away from the esc. receiver and motor. I'm using the MACK 1885 motor, pro boat esc and Hitec Ranger II radio/receiver.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:04 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
Hi ...Might wanna make sure that the coupler's are not kicked off center when the set screw is tightened...this would cause off-balance rotation ...a piece of aluminum tube over the shaft then the coupler ,if you can find it would center it up better....KS material at your hobby store ..will set up ..

Had another project going where i pressed a piece over the shaft ..to allingn the coulper on center..so it didnt kick when the set screw was tightend

the vibration may be causing a loose connection to intermittently kick out the power ..... check you connections make sure they are tight ...

Now your ESC kicks in and out ..or it kicks out and you have to flick the power switch off/on to get it running again....

Its funny a Proboat ESC discussion just came up may want to read there to ..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035674

Cheer's
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
It sputters on and off. I don't have to restart it. It starts out fine and then just starts sputtering on and off. I checked for loose connections, but all seems fine. After about 5 minutes it was doing it so much I pulled the boat out because it was so frequent it wasn't any fun to drive. I'll check the couplers. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:39 PM
Joined Jul 2007
18 Posts
Vibration

Lyman,

You might try installing a support for the front of the shaft tube approximately an inch or so from the bow end of shaft tube. That is a lot of unsupported length that will start whipping around as speed increases. Don't ask how I know!!! Another BOB!
Boater777 is offline Find More Posts by Boater777
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:59 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
For what its worth Lyman ...wouldnt hurt to get your motor wires on one side of the motor ...

Arced out like that may actually increase your noise in the cockpit..

then just to rule out the motor and something going snakey in it ..run the motor on its own of the batteries ..no switches ..just battery and motor ..
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:28 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
284 Posts
Hi Lyman. I agree with boater 777 you need some support for the stuffing box. Is you motor getting hot causing the stuttering? Does the steering servo continue to respond when the motoer is stuttering, that would help tell if it is a signal issue.Also try running the antenna along the deck as an experiment. I see your in Ontario NY, I live in Greece NY and work out of webster. It wouild be cool to get out with some other boaters for a change. Greg W
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:23 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Oooo, looking at your wiring, it appears that your antenna wire is wrapped around the wires going from the esc to the motor? that will cause control problems... Your sputtering esc may just be glitching caused by this...

as suggested above, you might re route your antenna above deck, keeping it away from "high power" 'dirty' wiring (Batts to ESC, ESC to motor)...

Battery on the port side ok? did it get hot?
Last edited by Aerominded; Apr 21, 2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:06 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg W
Hi Lyman. I agree with boater 777 you need some support for the stuffing box. Is you motor getting hot causing the stuttering? Does the steering servo continue to respond when the motoer is stuttering, that would help tell if it is a signal issue.Also try running the antenna along the deck as an experiment. I see your in Ontario NY, I live in Greece NY and work out of webster. It wouild be cool to get out with some other boaters for a change. Greg W
That would be nice! The only clubs that I know of in the area are for sailboats. I will try supporting the tube forward, and get my antenna away from the other power wires. I think the steering still works when it stutters, but will have to try it out of the water as its hard to tell if its steering because it happens so quickly. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:11 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Oooo, looking at your wiring, it appears that your antenna wire is wrapped around the wires going from the esc to the motor? that will cause control problems... Your sputtering esc may just be glitching caused by this...

as suggested above, you might re route your antenna above deck, keeping it away from "high power" 'dirty' wiring (Batts to ESC, ESC to motor)...

Battery on the port side ok? did it get hot?
Yes, the battery seems ok. This happened the first time I ever charged it. I don't know why. According to the charger gauge it wasn't full yet, and I've been using this same charger and tower brand batteries for 15 years. It hasn't done it since either. Oh well, a mystery I guess It seems to work, so I can live with ugly!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:21 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Maybe just defective shrink wrapping if it didn't get too hot!
Old May 15, 2009, 08:52 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
I added a few fittings including: transom exhausts, door knob, fuel fill cap and steering wheel stand off from MACK. From Graupner- Radar dome, hailer horn, life rings and I made my own scale VHF antenna (not used for receiver antenna- looks only). Still no windows, I've been stalling as window material doesn't like me!