SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2008, 12:42 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
The boat is 24.5 inches long x 9 7/8 inches wide. Its actually still available from Dumas in the discounted boats section. I got mine from there in December, and it is still listed.
lyman135 is offline Find More Posts by lyman135
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:32 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
I fitted the deck on the cabin and did some final filling of a few depressions in the hull with some thickened epoxy. Also test fit the pilot house, rear door and roof (not yet permanently attached).

It isn't clear in the instructions how the cabin and pilot house are supposed to be attached to the hull. The pilot house is glued to the cabin. It has me with the cabin temporarily tacked to the hull with CA while fitting the pilot house, but then it says to break it free again. After looking through the rest of the instructions, it never really says anything about reattaching it. I don't think it can be glued, however, because it would need to be taken off easily to get access to the motor or other gear. I think I could make up some kind of latch, but am having a hard time finding a location to put one. Does anyone that has built this kit before have any experience or ideas on this? Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:38 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
I would be tempted to build a little coaming around the opening of the deck and make the pilot house a close fit to that (coaming on the inside... 3/8" or so high) this way the pilot house is both removable and water, potentially splashed on the foredeck will not be able to get down below...

Looking very nice!

EDIT: I've just had a closer look at the pilot house- as it is tacked from the inside of the opening and not just resting on top of the deck, the coaming idea may not be practical...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:46 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
That's what I was going to say Aerominded. It looks like the motor is all the way up inside the cabin which is unusual. Am I right about that? In any case there has to be a coaming around the deck opening for the top deck and cabin to set on and be removable. How else will you be able to service the equipment in the boat?
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:37 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
the pilot house is glued to the cabin, however it is not glued to the floor. At the back of the pilot house, where the rear wall is, it is only glued to the top portion of that frame. Right now, after breaking the tacks holding the cabin down, the cabin and pilot house come out as one piece. The cabin and deck are not quite the same shape, and there is a slight gap between the cabin and deck as you can probably see. I'll have to come up with something the cover that up and also keep water from getting between them........

And yes, oddly the motor does get mounted right up in the bow!
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Lyman; Things like this are where your ingenuity comes into play. Every model has something that could be improved upon. You have to experiment with ideas to see what works but that's just part of your model building education.
One thing I always do is save all the useful looking scrap wood from my kits.Long pieces in particular. The plywood especially is expensive to buy so if you save scrap wood you will have pieces that you can experiment with at no extra cost. If it doesn't work you can chuck the idea and start another one and not be wasting money or wood.
The coaming inside the cabin piece is needed to keep water out of the engine room and bilge. 3/8ths high is good as stated above. If the cabin is lose fitting put some shims on it or the coaming to snug it up. The coaming should be glued tightly to the deck on the inside of the cabin cut out. That will keep water out. Then shim the deck side of the coaming with strips of wood and sand to fit the cabin. I think I have a picture of this work somewhere. I'll find it and post it. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Apr 11, 2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:57 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to give that idea a try!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:27 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Is the Mack power package still available for the osprey? I can't find it on their site.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 07:21 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
It may not be listed as a package for the Osprey but I'm sure there would be no problem in putting a package together for you. What about that FrankG????
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,842 Posts
NORGALE- No problem putting the package together for the OSPREY. Just give us a call Monday and it will be on itís way. By the way I sold my Fish & Chips to a fellow club member a little while ago so now I have to watch out in the precision steering contest if he starts learning how to drive. That little boat steers like no tomorrow and runs forever with the batteries full charged. Our phone number is 732-870-2966.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:03 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:48 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
In the last couple of days, I built the cradle laid out in the plans, as well as installed the framing around the pilot house windows and cut out and fit the ABS plastic roof. I was a little apprehensive about these frames as my big hands aren't always the best at working with small parts! Actually it wasn't so bad, and they came out decently. I also put in the dash. I made a little modification by putting in a slightly more upright piece for the instrument panel to mount on as I didn't really care for the way it looked flat on the dash. Next will be one of the bigger challenges for me.... cleanly installing the windows.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Looking great Lyman. Those little pieces give us all a fit as do the windows. I take the clear window suff and try to lay it up against the window and then scratch a line all around the inside on the plastic with a sharp hobby knofe. Then cut out the window on the scratched lines and trim to fit. Takes time but it looks good I think. I use Titebond III on the sides of the windows and then bend the plastic into the frame. Then wipe off the excess glue witha damp sponge and let it dry. After it drys you can scrape off any smears with a toothpick or other piece of wood. I also will slice down the window through any overlaping glue and peel that off. Then you can do the top and bottom but I usually leave that off if I can. At least you don't have all that many windows to do huh?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:29 AM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
I decided to wait to install the windows until after painting. I think it will be easier than trying to tape all around them. The coaming that I added around the forward cockpit for the cabin to sit on works well. It goes very nicely over the top and it hold the cabin/pilothouse assembly in place snuggly. It should also be high enough to keep any water from going between the two and into the bilge. I also made and installed the forward hatch which I improvised a little bit. The hull trim is now in place, and just needs to be primed along with the coaming. The rest of the hull, decks and everything else got a few good coats of primer sprayed on. After the first coat, it was interesting to see all the imperfections (scratches, dings) in the hull that weren't as apparent before. I re sanded some spots and re coated. It now looks pretty smooth and seamless on the outside. Next will be final painting, installing running hardware, windows and deck hardware/ fittings.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:53 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Looking good there Lyman. Be sure and sand that primer down real smooth for a good exterior finish. The last coat will only look as good as the base coat. I always have problems with the little nooks and crannys as that's where the paint builds up the fastest. You are right about leaving the windows out until the painting is done. They are a pain anyway and if you put them in too soon you may end up knocking some of them out which is what I've done to my Tuna Clipper. Now I get to glue them back in with the roof lining in place. Errrggggg! Keep the pictures coming too. Pete