HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2007, 01:56 AM
Palmdale, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
243 Posts
Discussion
2 motor-2 ESC wireing diagram

I need help learning how to wire 2 brushless motors and 2 ESC together. I am scratch building a 46"ws CRI CRI. A few months back I saw a wiring diagram on this and was going to save it but got side tracked and lost it. I have searched all the different forums but cant find anything on this I thought it would have been in the kit forum with all the P38s being built but the search always comes up empty. A simple wireing diagram would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance.
Rowe
Crash & Burn is offline Find More Posts by Crash & Burn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2007, 02:19 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi

All I did was to y lead the power and the y lead the esc servo leads to the rx but do take out one of the red servo leads so that you dont have both esc's supplying power to the rx, some people say this cause interference if you dont, other say it doesnt matter.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Oct 11, 2007, 03:24 PM
Palmdale, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcozstyle
Hi

All I did was to y lead the power and the y lead the esc servo leads to the rx but do take out one of the red servo leads so that you dont have both esc's supplying power to the rx, some people say this cause interference if you dont, other say it doesnt matter.
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean about one of the red servo leads. did you do this and of not did it have interferince? Do you mean to remove one red servo wire from ONE esc? Is the diagram I drew correct?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 05:37 PM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,479 Posts
Crash,

To eliminate…radio frequency interference and or potential smoke.

Cut one red wire at >Y< harness.

More here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743473
post 11
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:50 PM
Palmdale, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps:>)
Crash,

More here;
post 11
Thanks Gramps and rcozstyle
Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:56 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Two Motors... Two Speeds

This is an interesting topic. Is it possible to run two motors at the same time at different speeds, or with one motor on and one motor off? Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:28 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,479 Posts
Two motors, two speeds?
Good question Bob,

Sure would extend existing 3D maneuvers.

My first guess, a shot from the hip and assuming radios with one throttle channel (CH3), I don’t think two motors at different speeds possible.

However, some radios allow ‘stick’ mod. One example, I can put RUD CH4 on right hand (aileron) stick. Plus, some radios allow CH6 knob to be mixed with other channels. What >IF< we could MIX CH6 >THEN< use the KNOB as motor delta control to run a second motor faster than >OR< slower than the reference channel.

Before this moment I’ve had no motive to mix or move CH3,
… probably just wishful thinking ….but...
Last edited by Gramps:>); Oct 11, 2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:03 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Two motors, two speeds?
Good question Bob,

Sure would extend existing 3D maneuvers.

My first guess, a shot from the hip and assuming radios with one throttle channel (CH3), I don’t think two motors at different speeds possible.

However, some radios allow ‘stick’ mod. One example, I can put RUD CH4 on right hand (aileron) stick. Plus, some radios allow CH6 knob to be mixed with other channels. What >IF< we could MIX CH6 >THEN< use the KNOB as motor delta control to run a second motor faster than >OR< slower than the reference channel.

Before this moment I’ve had no motive to mix or move CH3,
… probably just wishful thinking ….but...
I'm not into intentional aerobatics or 3d type maneuvers, but I would love to build a scale B-25, or Ford Tri-motor that could do a slow flyby with a feathered engine. Just being able to start and stop one motor in the air would be a step forward. Bob
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:09 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,479 Posts
>YES< It can be done.

Two motors, two ESCs, different speed (delta / yaw) or
one motor off, the other full on or in-between (adverse yaw, 4D and beyond ).

The good news, this can be accomplished with the ole BCR (Before Computer Radio).

Connect ESC-1/motor-1 to THR CH3 (normal)
Connect ESC-2/motor-2 to RUD CH4 and cut ESC-2 red wire

AT THIS POINT, ‘normal’ rudder servo function is lost.
The GOOD NEWS lighten the model, remove rudder servo and cross couple rudder to aileron like we did back in the ole-days BCR.

AT THIS POINT, the old rudder stick, now NEW THR STICK is spring loaded at half throttle.
I suggest, disable spring / Phillips screwdriver / long nose pliers.

For the more adventurous than me
Do not disable spring, SUB TRIM motor synchronization with ‘trim’ lever.

Computer radios MIX, STICK, EXPONENTIAL and SUBTRM only add sketty-eight more options.
Last edited by Gramps:>); Oct 12, 2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:56 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
>YES< It can be done.

Two motors, two ESCs, different speed (delta / yaw) or
one motor off, the other full on or in-between (adverse yaw, 4D and beyond ).

The good news, this can be accomplished with the ole BCR (Before Computer Radio).

Connect ESC-1/motor-1 to THR CH3 (normal)
Connect ESC-2/motor-2 to RUD CH4 and cut ESC-2 red wire

AT THIS POINT, ‘normal’ rudder servo function is lost.
The GOOD NEWS lighten the model, remove rudder servo and cross couple rudder to aileron like we did back in the ole-days BCR.

AT THIS POINT, the old rudder stick, now NEW THR STICK is spring loaded at half throttle.
I suggest, disable spring / Phillips screwdriver / long nose pliers.

For the more adventurous than me
Do not disable spring, SUB TRIM motor synchronization with ‘trim’ lever.

Computer radios MIX, STICK, EXPONENTIAL and SUBTRM only add sketty-eight more options.
Gramps... Would you use seperate battery too? I've heard the varying power surge isn't good for in/outrunner motors. All of this is new to me. Bob
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:22 AM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
I've tested the U-2 and don't suffer RF problems with not cutting the red from my wye harness,but parallel wiring works just fine as is shown in the above drawing...Sunday will tell the tale,
Bob
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Old Oct 12, 2007, 03:32 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnormal
I've tested the U-2 and don't suffer RF problems with not cutting the red from my wye harness,but parallel wiring works just fine as is shown in the above drawing...Sunday will tell the tale,
Bob
Bob....will the two motors run at the same basic speed? Will any type of syncronization be required as it is with gassies? Thanks in advance. Foamenator Bob
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:43 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,479 Posts
Most voltage regulators fight for contention when connected in parallel.
Depending on design and how robust some go down in smoke, some ‘pump’ or oscillate trying to keep up.
True, not all generate energy at radio frequencies around 72 MHz,
but the ESC is electronic and does generate energy.

In the shop the RX and TX antenna are in their ‘near- field’. The RX hears a very strong TX signal. Far-field effective transmitter power is reduced by the square of the distance (ruff approx, cut by a factor of four every time distance doubles).

When the model is flying RX/TX antenna separation is many, many times their physical length (far field) ... while the ESC remains in the RX near field.

Not to argue just my $0.02 :>)

“” Would you use seperate battery too? I've heard the varying power surge isn't good for in/outrunner motors””

I would like to hear more with respect to ‘varying power surge’.
From a slow idle, if I fire wall the throttle is this considered a power surge?
Last edited by Gramps:>); Oct 13, 2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 02:21 PM
Palmdale, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
243 Posts
Quote:
Crash,

More here;
post 11
Gramps, I wired the motors and esc as you showed and cut the red wire on one of the Y harnes leads. When I test run the motors one of them shuts off at about 3/4 throttle while the other keeps running. I checked and it is NOT the one with the cut wire on the Y harnes. I then switched the esc and the motor that would stop at 3/4 throttle will now run OK and the other one stops at about 3/4 throttle. Does this point to a bad esc....even though they are both new? I have another esc but I have had it in a different plane and was mounted with velcro and in removing it the information about the esc...amps etc. was lost. If it is not the same as the one that seems good, would this be a problem and be un usable? When It come to electronics I am lost. Any help on this will be greatly apperciated.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash & Burn
Gramps, I wired the motors and esc as you showed and cut the red wire on one of the Y harnes leads. When I test run the motors one of them shuts off at about 3/4 throttle while the other keeps running. I checked and it is NOT the one with the cut wire on the Y harnes. I then switched the esc and the motor that would stop at 3/4 throttle will now run OK and the other one stops at about 3/4 throttle. Does this point to a bad esc....even though they are both new? I have another esc but I have had it in a different plane and was mounted with velcro and in removing it the information about the esc...amps etc. was lost. If it is not the same as the one that seems good, would this be a problem and be un usable? When It come to electronics I am lost. Any help on this will be greatly apperciated.
Crash... Are you running brushed or brushless motors? I was talking to a guy at the LH and he said you couldn't run two brushless off the same power source. I don't have a clue myself. Bob