HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
Discussion
Fuel Problems

Well i've had a few good flights with my avistar for the past few weeks. Now i have started to get myself some gear of my own. I bought some fuel called Omega, 10%. I put it into the .40 la on the avistar and it flew rough. It would stall when inverted. And even shut off once in the air. After getting the fuel out. We put another guys 15% fuel into the plane and it flew great. This engine is suppose to be good for 10% also. What could cause this? Could it be bad fuel? Or a tuning Problem? Any suggestions appreciated.
Xand is offline Find More Posts by Xand
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:51 PM
Old Bold Pilot
Holiday, Fl. USA
Joined Apr 2007
384 Posts
fuel probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xand
Well i've had a few good flights with my avistar for the past few weeks. Now i have started to get myself some gear of my own. I bought some fuel called Omega, 10%. I put it into the .40 la on the avistar and it flew rough. It would stall when inverted. And even shut off once in the air. After getting the fuel out. We put another guys 15% fuel into the plane and it flew great. This engine is suppose to be good for 10% also. What could cause this? Could it be bad fuel? Or a tuning Problem? Any suggestions appreciated.
HI,
i'M KINDA NEW LIKE YOU, BUT i'VE LEARNED WHEN YOU GET AN ENGINE RUNNING GOOD ON A CERTAIN TYPE AND PERCENTAGE OF NITRO, STAY WITH IT, CUZ EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE, YOU HAVE TO ADJUST THE MIXTURE. AND i THINK AN ENGINE SORTA GETS USED TO A DERTAIN FUEL. i RUN MY eVO .46 ON 15% AND IT LOVES IT.
sTAN
Stan Richardson is offline Find More Posts by Stan Richardson
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:39 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
My .40la has only seen omega 10% and i have never had a problem with it, might be tuning.
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V
Old Oct 11, 2007, 03:11 AM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
837 Posts
Nitro can't be the be-all and end-all as many of us in NZ don't use any nitro. Engines still run OK. Guess it makes sense to retune if you change percentage, though.
linw is offline Find More Posts by linw
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:56 AM
Old Bold Pilot
Holiday, Fl. USA
Joined Apr 2007
384 Posts
Fuel problems

Hi Wayne and Linv.
Ontario and New Zealand. Great! I'm from Florida, U.S.A. Maybe we all can get together and teach the world's people to get along. This is my answer to "why do I need to join a club?" Have a good day, you guys.
Stan
Stan Richardson is offline Find More Posts by Stan Richardson
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:13 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,389 Posts
Adjust the carb for the fuel you're using. A 40LA will run fine on Omega 10% if adjusted properly.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2007, 04:43 PM
England
Joined Nov 2002
106 Posts
Hi

Suppose it could be bad fuel, try it on another engine.

more likely not though.

I just run mine on castor staright fuel mostly.

Simon
simhatus is offline Find More Posts by simhatus
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:34 PM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
Our club gets a discount on 15% from the LHS, so we all run 15% in our LA's and don't have any problems. As someone mentioned, you tune your engine to the fuel you're running. There could be a difference in the type of glow plug that works best with one fuel over another, but I don't have enough experience to be able to know that for sure.

Stan
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:44 PM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
The person that was with me the day that i tried the fuel did some adjustments on it. He adjusted the screw with the spring on it from the carb and tried to tune it. I was running 15% in it before...and it ran perfect. He tinkered with my 10% omega for awhile and couldnt get it right. It wanted to act like it was starving for fuel. So we put 15% back in it and he tuned it perfectly in a matter of secs.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
Will mixing fuels cause this kind of problem?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:23 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,055 Posts
You may have either some bad fuel or a plug that can just handle 15% nitro but isn't quite hot enough for 10%. The fuel is the more likely thing though because a plug can usually handle a fair range of fuels before causing a problem. If a new plug (something like an OS 8) doesn't cure it then do what simhatus suggested and try the fuel in another engine.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:13 AM
RCAPA #299
Joined Sep 2004
320 Posts
My money would be on you needing to retune slightly for the new fuel or a different plug as stated. I use that fuel also, and no problems in an Evo .46 or a ST .40.

JG
jg4660 is offline Find More Posts by jg4660
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:11 PM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
Update...Well i went flying today, a guy had some Cool Power all synthetic fuel 10% also. We put a tank in my plane and tuned it alittle and it runs perfect. So the Casor/Synthetic 10% omega fuel is a bad bottle. We tried it several more times. I guess this is one of those rare things to watch out for. What can cause fuels to go bad? Could it be the heat from setting in the car? Could it even be the oil mixture? Anyway i bought me a bottle of the Cool Power fuel now so its all good.