SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2007, 11:33 AM
Peck Polymers
Joined Jan 2007
96 Posts
Discussion
New product ideas?

We are starting to plan for some future items. Would love some input and ideas on products we could offer that are either machined or laser cut. Working on some nice laser cut accessories for the scale/sport flier, but always interested in new ideas.

Tim
A2Z Corp
Peck Polymers division
A2ZTim is offline Find More Posts by A2ZTim
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2007, 09:22 PM
Sebastopol, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
670 Posts
Hi Tim,

How about machined wheels from blue foam? Wood or plastic wheels are so heavy on small planes.

you might get more input if you asked the same question at http://www.smallflyingarts.com/

Dave
Dave K is offline Find More Posts by Dave K
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:23 AM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,453 Posts
24 to 32" span laser cut Bucker Jungmeister kit...!!!!

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:37 AM
Peck Polymers
Joined Jan 2007
96 Posts
For what type of power? Rubber, electric, FF or RC?

Tim
A2Z Corp
Peck Polymers division
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:42 AM
elliptical = beauty
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jul 2007
503 Posts
36" wingspan J-3 Kitten Kit! - just scale up what you've got! easy as pie. and it'd be great for electric although I'd use it for .049.

I'd also recommend a cockpit detail kit for your gypsy moth. and scale that up too so it can be used for other tiger moths. say an instrument board, a flight stick, seat and head rest. all that good stuff.

i'll ponder over a few more ideas Tim and post back. Electric Kits are really where the market is at I'm sure you realize. However, I think the market is still strong for Rubber Free flight. Whats really starting to boom, I think, is the micro stuff. And your kits are perfect for that. If you can develop and start selling Micro RC accessories, you'd really find a niche that needs some competition like Peck.

Rascal Tom

oh....and if you can design something with an eliptical wing-count me in for at least 5 or 6 kits!!
Rascal_Tom is offline Find More Posts by Rascal_Tom
Old Oct 21, 2007, 05:10 PM
Sebastopol, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
670 Posts
You could resize your peanut line to 150% or 200%. They would make easier to fly out door free flight or easy micro R/C.
Dave K is offline Find More Posts by Dave K
Old Nov 01, 2007, 09:19 PM
Mapleton, Iowa
Joined Feb 2006
1,887 Posts
Rubber powered scale endurance is an art form..very exacting and unforgiving. There will always be rubber powered FF machines in my hanger. The leap is to RC, be it rubber or electric or CO2. Rubber shall reign as the ultimate challenge IMHO. But, a quality line of micro electronics would be very cool, indeed!
Letcraft is offline Find More Posts by Letcraft
Last edited by Letcraft; Nov 01, 2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2007, 10:13 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,202 Posts
Don't know if you are including plastic parts also but how about 'accessory kits' for "Earl Stahl designs? Spinner, prop, gear covers, gun exhausts, wheels, decals, windshield, everything but the wood. Most Stahl builders pick all their own balsa anyway, but a complete package of the extra accessories would be great and save a lot of searching. (Or, any popular design) Just a random thought. Jim
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:00 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K
Hi Tim,

How about machined wheels from blue foam? Wood or plastic wheels are so heavy on small planes.

you might get more input if you asked the same question at http://www.smallflyingarts.com/

Dave
If not blue foam wheels, how about a simple SMALL circle cutter that can cut holes from maybe 1/8" to 3" or so in diameter? Someing like a pointed square rod with a set screw to adjust depth of a horizontally attached rod with a set-screw adjusted blade holder to determine hole size. Many's the time I've wished I had something to make wheels for small planes or tail wheels, that didn't have to be PERFECTLY round, but that looked better than my hacked-out sanded-round shapes that are too small to spin on a Dremel because I don't want a 1/16th hole in the middle.
Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Dec 30, 2007, 01:25 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,374 Posts
Reasonably priced ($30) spoked wheels for WWI and Vintage planes in a 2, 21/2, and 3 inch sizes that will work on parkflyer rc planes. Use foam cord rubber tires. These are desparately needed..
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:28 AM
Peck Polymers
Joined Jan 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily
Reasonably priced ($30) spoked wheels for WWI and Vintage planes in a 2, 21/2, and 3 inch sizes that will work on parkflyer rc planes. Use foam cord rubber tires. These are desparately needed..
2" size in stock already. 2-1/2" on the way and due in next week. Just look at the wheel department of our online store at Peck Wheel Department

Thanks,
Tim
A2ZCorp
Peck Polymers division
Old Mar 15, 2008, 06:20 PM
Big Island, Hawaii
Joined Mar 2008
1 Posts
Classed System for Electrics

A simple system of classification for planes, electric/gas power units, ESC's, battery packs is needed.

Every kit would have a Class number, motor / engine number, etc. that would guide builder/flyers to buying the right equipment.
Now, with all the numbered motors, ESC, battery packs, a newcomer has a lot of trouble picking out the parts needed for a particular model.
KauLad is offline Find More Posts by KauLad
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:31 PM
Peck Polymers
Joined Jan 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauLad
A simple system of classification for planes, electric/gas power units, ESC's, battery packs is needed.

Every kit would have a Class number, motor / engine number, etc. that would guide builder/flyers to buying the right equipment.
Now, with all the numbered motors, ESC, battery packs, a newcomer has a lot of trouble picking out the parts needed for a particular model.
Can't agree with you more. Trying to figure out what motor to use with what plane is very confusing. Don't know how to get the big sellers to agree on a system that everyone can understand.

Tim
A2Z Corp
Peck Polymers, Indoor Model Supply, Sting Aero divisions
1530 W Tufts Ave Unit B
Englewood CO 80110

www.Peck-Polymers.com/store

The worlds best flying laser cut peanuts.
Over 250 kits in stock!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:39 PM
Joined May 2005
761 Posts
Is there any way to order kits with print wood and not the laser cut? No matter how much I sand the burnt wood shows through the doped tissue.
scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:30 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,176 Posts
When I first got back into this hobby (admittedly a few years back), I bought a Lee's Hobbies' Fokker DR-1. I was amazed to find that instead of printwood, it had paper patterns stuck to the sheets of wood with some kind of impermanent fixative. Cut the part out, peel off the paper. No dark ink smeared all over from trying to sand it off, no brown/black edges. To go with those Earl Stahl accessory packs, a sheet of the paper patterns all laid out to stick to a sheet of balsa for cutting like it would have been on printwood, but without supplying the wood, might make a nice package. End user gets some repositionable adhesive like a 3-M reusable glue stick or post-it note adhesive to put the paper on the wood to cut the pieces. That might solves scigs' problem too. (But warning, cutting through the paper dulls your blades quickly.)
Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl