Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Discussion
Cloud Busters - KeyStone Heights, FL

A New Club In North Central Florida

The Cloud Busters RC Flying Club of Keystone Heights

After being shut down in late Aug of 2007 by the airport authority, We had the chance and decided to get organized as an official club. This is what the Airpark wanted - and it was a good move. The New club has formed from the many people who have flown at the Keystone Airpark for many years. Recently we felt the need to form and come under AMA guild lines. This has been a very positive change for RC flight in the Area and has increased the number of pilots that have been showing up and joining the club.

The site is an absolutely perfect flying field with both paved and mowed grass runways. There is plenty of wide open sky and very little if any obstruction from tress or other obstacles. Since forming as a club we have set up pilot boxes and a frequency board. The field is protected by a large fence and access is granted thru a key pad gate system. Gate key codes are issued once a person becomes a member and is released to fly solo. For more info about becoming a member, click thru to the club web site from the link above.

Here is a Map Quest Map Link to the site. Below is the satellite view of the field. The runways to the north and to the East of the RC field are active runways for full size aircraft.

Mike
Just a Guy who Flys at KeyStone Airpart
(no body official really)
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Last edited by mrm1; Jul 14, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2007, 11:37 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Flying Action from Tuesday

We had a great day today with near perfect conditions. As you can see from the pics, there was a good number of pilots out today as has been typical since the club has formed back 3 weeks ago. The new club has increased the fun of flying for everyone. And we are having a good time. (click the thumb nails for larger view)
Old Oct 09, 2007, 11:49 AM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,728 Posts
Wow Mike,

That is outstanding. What a beautiful flying site. Big congrats to you guys.

Love the Sportsters pic. That must be so fun doing formation flying. Don't blink though with all that red in the sky .

John and Christo
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Oct 09, 2007, 12:22 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Mike,

Super Thread and Club.....remember....I am coming soon to visit! Bringing my Super Sportster EP's
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Oct 09, 2007, 01:03 PM
AMA #851612
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,617 Posts
Awesome! Always glad to see a new club form up. So Mike, are you president?
BIGDANO is offline Find More Posts by BIGDANO
Old Oct 09, 2007, 05:22 PM
North Florida
Joined Feb 2007
116 Posts
Looks good Mike Glad to see back at the field
rodgersflyrc is offline Find More Posts by rodgersflyrc
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:48 AM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,452 Posts
Very nice from I can see!!!...definitely will have to come up and check it out...Carlos, do you hear the word caravan from Orlando in your mind???...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:28 AM
Joined Oct 2007
2 Posts
Good to hear from you Mike!

Beautiful Site. Nice pictures. We will visit you at Keystone soon. Will contact you before coming.

Dusty
Dusty44 is offline Find More Posts by Dusty44
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:55 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Oh great Orlando Guys. Just let me know. We just formed as a club, but already there has been talk of some kind of Fly-In or Swap Meet. So I will keep you posted as to the possibilty of any events.

Dusty, Good to hear from you. Glad you are still up and flying. I would think this field is fairly close to you from what I remember of where you moved to. So any time you want to come, just give me a shout and I can hook you up.

Mike
Old Oct 10, 2007, 09:10 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
GP's Real Flight Sim - KeyStone Airpark Field

For those of you who have Great Planes Real Flight G2 Sim I have developed a flying site Sim of the KeyStone Heights Airpark. It is very close to actual distances from the full scale active runway and the RC paved runway is also just about actual size. It is also very close in distances from the Western tree line. I used Google Earth and the measuring tool in Google Earth to lay it out.

Right click on the link below and choose "Save Target As ..." . Save it to: My Computer \ Local Disk (C ) \ Program Files \ RealFlight \ Airports (or wherever the loacation of your RealFlight Airports is located)

KeyStone Heights Airpark Sim Field

Then Open up Real Flight G2 (May also work in G3, but I do not have G3 and so do not know if the commands are the same). Select / Pull down Airports and choose KeyStoneHeightsAirport from the Airport Selection List. That should be It. I do not think I used any Add Ons to design it, so it should run in just the Base version of Real Flight.

Note: has not been tested in Real Flight G3

Once you have it installed .... Try This:

Once you have the Airport Sim up and running, Try Flying Around from the Cockpit View. Then you can check out the detail of the flying site and you can actually fly over the active runway and down to the terminal .... (but dont try it in real life )

To change the View in Real Flight - Pull down / select View and then chose "Pilot in Aircraft" OR Just press F5.

Mike
Old Oct 10, 2007, 09:32 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Revised Sat Map with Line Dircetions to the Field off of Hwy 100
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:04 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simano
Very nice from I can see!!!...definitely will have to come up and check it out...Carlos, do you hear the word caravan from Orlando in your mind???...

Gerry.
Gerry,
That's a Dodge right? We need to reserve it early

Mike,

Thanks for the detailed driving instructions and aerial maps....believe me I have all that already from last weekend when I almost traveled to Pensacola as I was planning to passby your club on the way up.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:21 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,452 Posts
I meant a caravan of cars from Orlando...not a Dodge caravan...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:24 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simano
I meant a caravan of cars from Orlando...not a Dodge caravan...

Gerry.
Gerry,

Thanks! Yes Sir, this is a better idea.....two vehicles is better just in case one gets broken down.

Carlos
Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:45 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Besides, if you fill a car full of people, there is no room for planes. Better bring 2 or 3 cars