HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Dakrat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2007, 01:50 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Poor Man's Intro to Night Flying

After reading about it time and time again, I finally took the plunge and bought some LEDs for some night flying. I wasn't sure what plane I wanted to use or how much I wanted to spend. One of the guys on the forum boards suggested Celebration Lights. These lights are used for parties, balloons and such. You get 12 to a package for about $10 from Wal-Mart. The package says that they last for about 8hrs.

These were perfect for me since I was not sure I was going to enjoy the night flying thing nor was I sure how much I wanted to spend setting up a plane. So I got my "all purpose" EStarter and some masking tape and got to work. I used about 5 for the first test, two under the wing one on the rudder and one on the bottom by the cowling and one on the top between rudder and the wing.

Flight Report:
I had no problems getting her up to altitude, I didn't get too crazy, just high enough to avoid trees and light posts.
Orientation was not that bad but I kept her close, I had only white lights but I could see how having different colors could be helpful. I didn't fly for too long it was getting a little cold (31 deg) but I am hooked on this night flying stuff. Winter is almost here and with the days getting shorter I can still get my flying in. Now to try this on my SLofly 28 and see if I can fly a little night 3D!

I highly recommend these LED's they are inexpensive, portable between planes, and very bright. Since I have several LED's I can experiment with different configurations on plane. I probably will get a better LED or glow wire system but for the time being this is cheap fun!
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Last edited by Dakrat; Oct 09, 2007 at 03:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2007, 08:11 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Apr 2007
87 Posts
Very cool indeed. YOu might also talk to someone over at the Michaels craft store..sometimes they have the glow sticks mini's on sale for $1 a package of 15. cant beat that....Looks good....
zillacapt is offline Find More Posts by zillacapt
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:31 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
How big are these? How much do they weigh?

Could you post a pic next to a dime or something?

Thanks!
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:53 PM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
Your wish is granted!

Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:04 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
You, Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman!

A tad bigger than I'd hoped but it looks like they should do nicely for what I have in mind.

A trip to W-M tomorrow...

Thanks.
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:55 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
what isle are they under ????????????? the leds
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Oct 26, 2007, 03:37 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,239 Posts
I guess I did leave out that little tid-bid of information. You would look the whole store over and never find these. In fact I had to look it over twice.
Go to the craft section and look under wedding crafts/cakes/decorations. Look carefully you can overlook the package if your not careful. Hope that helps!
Dak...
Old Feb 05, 2008, 10:16 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,646 Posts
Here's what you want!!!!

Forget the celebration lights, they are wayyyy to heavy, get these, (See picture) from here!!! I use these on my Slow Stick, I have a total of 40 lights on mine, you can read a newspaper with it 10 feet away! Oh, and the price, $6.82 and free shipping, what a deal!

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Feb 13, 2008, 09:02 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Gary;
did you attempt to wire directly to your RX or battery yet? I'm just cuirous how this turned out... DEFINATLY INTERESTED!
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:08 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat
I guess I did leave out that little tid-bid of information. You would look the whole store over and never find these. In fact I had to look it over twice.
Go to the craft section and look under wedding crafts/cakes/decorations. Look carefully you can overlook the package if your not careful. Hope that helps!
Dak...
I found them and bought two packages of 12. Five of the 24 were dead. I returned them to Walmart and had to go through two more packages of 12 and found 13 of those 24 were dead. I guess there is a definite shelf life on the batteries these things use.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:41 PM
Joined Apr 2007
87 Posts
Ok. I just got back from the EF Expo here in Phoenix and these little lights were amazing. They come pre packaged ready to plug into your RX and will cut your flight time by a whopping 15 seconds. They are around 25 bucks and will outlast your plane. They are fully programable with your extra channel and even have several deals that will get you more lights. The lights are the same type on of LEDs that are on a blinky ballancer if you have one but come in various color combos and even have landing lights that you can control....check them out here at this web address

http://flightlights.net/RcPlane.htm

zilla
Old May 01, 2008, 12:37 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillacapt
Ok. I just got back from the EF Expo here in Phoenix and these little lights were amazing. They come pre packaged ready to plug into your RX and will cut your flight time by a whopping 15 seconds. They are around 25 bucks and will outlast your plane. They are fully programable with your extra channel and even have several deals that will get you more lights. The lights are the same type on of LEDs that are on a blinky ballancer if you have one but come in various color combos and even have landing lights that you can control....check them out here at this web address

http://flightlights.net/RcPlane.htm

zilla
Those are real cool but they aren't really for night flying but rather "dusk flying."
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2008, 12:39 AM
Joined Apr 2007
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Those are real cool but they aren't really for night flying but rather "dusk flying."
I dont know..I saw them in person and they are very bright. might have to get a set and see...