HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2007, 03:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2 Posts
Discussion
mixing epoxy resins

I'm building a part using a Styrofoam core and I plan to wrap it in fiberglass to strengthen it for compression before I wrap it with carbon fiber. The kit i bought for the fiber glass uses a polyester resin. Is there any issue with this bonding to the epoxy (MGS) or the metal parts attached to it?
txcarbon is offline Find More Posts by txcarbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2007, 04:23 PM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,608 Posts
I'd stay away from the polyester. If you plan on using epoxy, why not use epoxy for the entire layup?

Sean
sporter is online now Find More Posts by sporter
Old Oct 07, 2007, 04:53 PM
Joined Jun 2007
616 Posts
That, and the polyester is going to eat the EPS. (UP is thinned with styrene monomer.)

And why glass first and not CF directly? The styrofoam will be as delicate when you glass it as when you CF it.
MarkusN is offline Find More Posts by MarkusN
Old Oct 07, 2007, 05:09 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
...also epoxy and polyester won't stick together well + carbon won't bond with polyester.

Remember, the glass won't take any load until the carbon breaks... It's is just a "passenger" along for the ride.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage