RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Help!
brushless motor repair?

Guys,

Problem #1
Ive got a brushless outrunner motor that had a gentle impact last weekend, and pushed the shaft back through a little.

Easy fix me thinks, and loosens the grub screw, slides the shaft forward again until the surclip is flush against the the rear of the motor, and does the grub screw back up.

Problem is that the stator now seems loose.

Im thinking that the stator should be glued to the mounting plate of the motor?
Is that correct?

Ive got some permanant loctite here that would do the job. Is that OK?

Problem #2
I also have another brushless motor that smoked, is it worth trying to rewind it, or is it better to just bin it and get a new one?

Cheers.
Brett
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Abuser
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nator_au
Guys,

Problem #1
Ive got a brushless outrunner motor that had a gentle impact last weekend, and pushed the shaft back through a little.

Easy fix me thinks, and loosens the grub screw, slides the shaft forward again until the surclip is flush against the the rear of the motor, and does the grub screw back up.

Problem is that the stator now seems loose.

Im thinking that the stator should be glued to the mounting plate of the motor?
Is that correct?

Ive got some permanant loctite here that would do the job. Is that OK?
Pushing the shaft back through will be made easier if you have a drill press.
The stator should be glued to the mounting plate, locite should be ok, just be aware that some glues eg. CA will eat the enamel coating on the windings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nator_au
Problem #2
I also have another brushless motor that smoked, is it worth trying to rewind it, or is it better to just bin it and get a new one?
It depends I suppose on what the motor is worth and if you have the time and patients to rewind. It will help if you know the number of turns and size of the orig. wire and the winding pattern. LRK or cdrom.

How many magnets and stator poles does it have?

Another thing to consider is the condition of the stator. The fried windings could have destroyed the insulation on the stator.

Cheers
Ken
Kentucky is offline Find More Posts by Kentucky
Old Oct 05, 2007, 03:58 PM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
Quote:
It depends I suppose on what the motor is worth and if you have the time and patients to rewind. It will help if you know the number of turns and size of the orig. wire and the winding pattern. LRK or cdrom.

How many magnets and stator poles does it have?

Another thing to consider is the condition of the stator. The fried windings could have destroyed the insulation on the stator.
Hey nator, sounds like another job you just don't need. Recommendation from me...file the motor in the big round filing cabinet on the floor and lets go on line with your credit card
Gluggy is offline Find More Posts by Gluggy
Old Oct 05, 2007, 07:31 PM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Kentucky,
Thanks.
I glued the stator with Loctite, and its all good now. I was very careful not to get any glue on anything that shouldnt have glue on it. I guess a test run this afternoon will tell me if it was a successful repair.

And it sounds very much like too much effort to rewind the other motor.
Ill keep it for the shaft and grub screws, and order another one from UH.

Thanks again.

Gluggy,
Monday = brushless motor order day!
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au