Old Nov 02, 2007, 01:46 PM
Madison, Wisconsin USA
Joined Aug 2006
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Bird Radio
The sail on that French land yacht has a different shape. Any reason why? John
John,
It's sort of the opposite of yours (with the big roach) & will have less capsize potential as a result. But it will also have less power & may have difficulty getting going in light wind. That being said, none of this design stuff is carved in stone & every design choice will have trade offs such as this. It looks like it could be a decent high wind sail. The sheeting arrangement appears to leave something to be desired, as the angle to the boom is less than optimal. Also, I'm not a big fan of using a drum winch as he has done, mainly because the reaction time will be alot slower compared to a sail arm servo.

Here's a recent video done by Samuel Tranchet in France. His excellent job of camerawork & editing makes it painfully apparant that I need to upgrade my video skills His Class 1 "G-Lule" really gets up & goes, but yet appears to be very stable. I think the flex of the unstayed mast helps keep it upright:
G-Lule Char à voile RC land yacht (4 min 57 sec)

Bill K
Bill_K is offline Find More Posts by Bill_K
Last edited by Bill_K; Nov 02, 2007 at 02:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2007, 02:36 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
I ran across this thread a few days ago and find it intriguing. I have no experience in RC sailing, but I am familiar with the concepts from sailing Sunfish and Hobbie Cats.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any plans available for building one of these. I see from the French site there are some dimensions of the buggy and think I can manage that. What I am looking for are references on sail dimensions, rigging, materials, and construction techniques.

This looks like fun to run around in a wide open parking lot. I'll have to make use of some old foam airplane tires and carbon rods.

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Nov 03, 2007, 07:39 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Scott

look back threw this string. i think there is a sail plan posted. it will be what i use if i ever get started on it.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Nov 03, 2007, 08:52 AM
Madison, Wisconsin USA
Joined Aug 2006
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by szastoupil
....Anyway, I was wondering if there are any plans available for building one of these. I see from the French site there are some dimensions of the buggy and think I can manage that. What I am looking for are references on sail dimensions, rigging, materials, and construction techniques. ...
Scott,
Thanks for the interest, I've long believed that flyboys have a natural affinity to these things. It's a bit like soaring on 2 dimensions...

John, the fellow who started this thread (another flyer BTW), is building his model from free plans available at this Yahoo forum under the "files" section:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IRCSSA/ Unfortunately, you have to sign up to gain access, but that's fairly easy to do. That site also has alot of pictures & archived discussion with some good information.
Some other French plans are available at this website, although I'm not sure of the cost or how to go about ordering: http://www.rc-bot.com/index.php?page=g-lule His model appears to run great.
There's also alot of archived discussion to be found at:
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/forumdisplay.php?f=58
Quote:
....This looks like fun to run around in a wide open parking lot. I'll have to make use of some old foam airplane tires and carbon rods.
Foam tires work great on pavement. You should be able to put something together for under $50 from stuff you have laying around. Speaking of flyers, Robert Weber in California has gotten together a group of airplane owners for weekly races of his S2 models, see attached photo.

Regards,
Bill Korsgard
http://www.iceboat.org/RCBoats/rc%20boats.htm
PS: ADV: I also have plans available of my K-1 model for $15. Contact me off-forum at wwkorsgard "at" charter.net if interested
Old Nov 03, 2007, 10:57 AM
Douce france cher pays de
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, I was wondering if there are any plans available for building one of these. I see from the French site there are some dimensions of the buggy and think I can manage that. What I am looking for are references on sail dimensions, rigging, materials, and construction techniques.

Scott
Hi Scott,

I just browse on google.fr for char à voile modle réduit plan (aka model landyacht plan) and after reviewing some forum thread, I found these plan and website, I hope it will be helpfull. (don't forget that french plan mean metric mesurement...so you will have to do some modifictaion...I think)

http://clap54b.free.fr/Gibus/gibus.htm
http://jcolliot.free.fr/CAV/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_K

John, the fellow who started this thread (another flyer BTW), is building his model from free plans available at this Yahoo forum under the "files" section:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IRCSSA/
Hi Bill, Am I already told you that this plan was made in the high school were I went something like 15 years ago ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_K

Some other French plans are available at this website, although I'm not sure of the cost or how to go about ordering: http://www.rc-bot.com/index.php?page=g-lule His model appears to run great.
I haven't find any information on the website for buying it. I supposed that the website is maintened by the guy who done the plan so maybe just email the webmaster for more information.

By the way Bill, while I was reviewing the french forums, I find some info that said that the french plan that I gave you from french model magazine are not really efficient, good toy bt not ready to beat your K1...

Have a nice week end, for me it is gardenong, pruning...harvesting the last tomatoes before the first frozing...

Xavier
Le petit normand is offline Find More Posts by Le petit normand
Old Nov 09, 2007, 11:55 PM
Joined May 2007
4 Posts
i've spent several hours to find wheels ...... any one find a supplier. I want a bigger wheel ... like maybe 5 "mor bigger ... but not a lawn mower weight ..... and not the du-brovitage price
Rick_10 is offline Find More Posts by Rick_10
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:04 AM
Douce france cher pays de
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2007
300 Posts
baby stroller wheels ....
Le petit normand is offline Find More Posts by Le petit normand
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:06 AM
Madison, Wisconsin USA
Joined Aug 2006
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_10
i've spent several hours to find wheels ...... any one find a supplier.,,,
Rick,
For use on pavement, I've had excellent results from the "Dave Brown" model airplane foam wheels available thru Tower Hobby:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB915&P=7
They are very light & have excellent grip for lateral side slip resistance. The only downside for top performance is that they don't come with bearings, but small bearings can be easily retrofitted if you have access to a lathe.

Other possibilties are inline skate or scooter wheels, but you need to find ones that have fairly soft tires (Durometer rating of 70 or less) in order to have sufficient grip.

Further discussion of the topic can be seen at:
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?t=1800
Regards,
Bill K
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:20 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
consider rc car sedan wheels, or 1/12 scale carpet car wheels. both can be gotten with bearings. that's what i intend on using on my frame.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:59 AM
Madison, Wisconsin USA
Joined Aug 2006
99 Posts
Here's a photo of one of my foam wheels after a heavy workout in strong wind. You can see the wear in progress, but it's well worth it because of the excellent gripping characteristics.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:00 PM
Madison, Wisconsin USA
Joined Aug 2006
99 Posts
"Kwikbuild" Landyacht-iceboat protoype hull

I got to thinking about how easily these can be built & came up with the below concept for a hull that could be quickly built with a mininum of tools. The wooden frame is simply 5 plys of venetion blind slats, laminated in a staggered manner with a flared portion on one end to accomodate the electronics. The other end has only 2 layers of the slats, so it will have a springboard effect.

The hull cover is a 2 liter soda bottle cut open on one side. which wraps around the bottom 3/4 of the assembly, with a 3mm ((1/8") ply cover on top. The flat top will allow the sail rig to benefit aerodynamically from an "endplate effect" if the boom is held close when fully sheeted. The 3rd photo shows how it would look if were turned over with the hull shell on top.

For the rig, I'm working on a hollow CF extendable fishing pole with a sleaved luff mylar sail. It may be partially balanced similar to the Footy "MacRig"

ps to Dick L; those are my F48 hull shells you see sitting in the background of the center pic....
Last edited by Bill_K; Nov 25, 2007 at 07:39 AM. Reason: add photo
Old Dec 01, 2007, 10:48 PM
Madison, Wisconsin USA
Joined Aug 2006
99 Posts
new videos

Here's a video I shot today before the snowstorm hit.
K1 rc iceboat (2 min 17 sec)

and after:
K1 Model Iceboat (1 min 40 sec)

Xavier Lucas from France was doing the sailing.
Old Dec 02, 2007, 12:18 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
Very cool! I noticed the ponds in my neighborhood have smooth ice and was thinking about how nice it would be to have a model iceboat. Do you know how thick the ice is down there? I was going to punch some holes in the ice and do a little fishing, but didn't get around to it today.

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Dec 02, 2007, 05:19 PM
Member: GSPL
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Another flyboy here. I'm building a Screaming Reach and have started a thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780528.

Jeff
sloperut is offline Find More Posts by sloperut
Old Jan 06, 2008, 08:35 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Ya looking for this Doomdude?

Well I just found her for ya.

Enjoy

Darth
DarthDude is offline Find More Posts by DarthDude