HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:52 PM
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Aug 2004
595 Posts
Discussion
Ritewing FS-48

I just started building one of CK's forward swept 48 inch wings, the goal is keep it as lite as possible without compromising strength.
The kit came with the option of a 9 or 11% foil fuse I am using the 11% to start, will use the 9% later in testing.
Skinning the wing was done with RT and 3M-90, covering will be multi color Monokote for visibility with thinned Goop on the leading edges and fuse bottom.
Here are a couple of pics of the progress so far
Broncomech is offline Find More Posts by Broncomech
Last edited by Broncomech; May 23, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2007, 12:00 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Looks good Bronco,It will be nice to see how she does on the slope.
The only differance in the 9% and 11% fuse is the thickness .This allows you more room for gear.It shouldnt affect the way it flys.Try to put the bats as far foward as possible.
Go ahead and mount the fuse ,and glass the crud out of it,the weight wont matter and it will make it verry tough.
Install the fuse with goop or hot glue,that will be super stong.
Ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 04, 2007, 12:20 AM
Joined Aug 2004
595 Posts
I am planing on running a couple of 0.125 CF rods down the sides to stiffen the fuse, will PU/RT over everything back to the wing joint for durability.
I see winglets on many of the powered versions, are they sculpted from the wing beds and added on or they part of the original wing core?
What do you think about lightening holes in the elevon stock, has it be done without causing the surface to twist?
Old Oct 04, 2007, 12:32 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Bronco the wing tips are just bent down by notching the wing bottom and bending them and holding them in place while the hot glue dries.
Cool, the PU and rt will be great on the fuse for durability.
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomech
I am planing on running a couple of 0.125 CF rods down the sides to stiffen the fuse, will PU/RT over everything back to the wing joint for durability.
I see winglets on many of the powered versions, are they sculpted from the wing beds and added on or they part of the original wing core?
What do you think about lightening holes in the elevon stock, has it be done without causing the surface to twist?
Last edited by klique; Oct 04, 2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2007, 12:37 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I think in the mini fs (spanker ) thread there are a few picks of mine that show how the wing tip was cut and glued..

CK the 2mm coro on the wing tip makes it much stronger too.. I just cut some air foil shaped pieces of 2 mm coro and then gooped them on the tips and pinded them till dry it also help cut down any remaining tip twisting..

I plan to do my powered 48 simular to the mini i built as it seems very tortianly strong with little weight penatly
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Oct 04, 2007, 12:51 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
I did that on the skyvaks Paul, but on the mini fs ,I just did a thin layer of goop on the wing tip ends.
I am more worried about the twist during the build than the twisting in flight.I think the need for any major overlap o henries really will effect the weight needed to atain cg.
Bronco as far as lightening holes in the elevons,I wouldnt do it,I would just add the weight needed to get it dialed,But that is just me bud, so do what you like dude.
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
I think in the mini fs (spanker ) thread there are a few picks of mine that show how the wing tip was cut and glued..

CK the 2mm coro on the wing tip makes it much stronger too.. I just cut some air foil shaped pieces of 2 mm coro and then gooped them on the tips and pinded them till dry it also help cut down any remaining tip twisting..

I plan to do my powered 48 simular to the mini i built as it seems very tortianly strong with little weight penatly
Last edited by klique; Oct 04, 2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2007, 12:53 AM
Joined Aug 2004
595 Posts
Thanks PaulVi,
Are the tips on the spanker parallel to the root?
This version the tips are angled out so I would have to trim them square with the root to use coro tips, would work as tip savers on rough landings.
Old Oct 04, 2007, 12:59 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomech
Thanks PaulVi,
Are the tips on the spanker parallel to the root?
This version the tips are angled out so I would have to trim them square with the root to use coro tips, would work as tip savers on rough landings.
They are angled on the mini too. I cut the groove parallel to the root. so the leading edge is lower than the TE.. the coro is just a piece cut a tad larger i actully glued a rectangle piece on and when dryed i just used some small sissiors to trim it to the surface of the wing..

That is not pictured as i did it on the v1 and have to do it to my v2
Old Oct 04, 2007, 01:00 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Bronco ,That is the idea ,tips to help keep the wing off the ground ,and coddle a bit of lift.I did measure from the root on mine to make the droop in line with the vert stabs .Plus it just looks cool
ck
Old Oct 04, 2007, 01:04 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
here are two pics that show it nice
Old Oct 04, 2007, 01:05 AM
Joined Aug 2004
595 Posts
Guess I know what I will be doing after work tomorow, droopin some tips
Old Oct 04, 2007, 01:07 AM
Joined Aug 2004
595 Posts
Thanks for the pics I do better with visual aids.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 09:42 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Hey Bronco, the build is looking sweet bro.

Thought I'd throw in a hack I am going to try with mine.

After the flights I had, I felt I needed more vertical surface,

After some discussions with Chris he suggested getting more vertical area behind the prop. So I was thinking about how to aquire this and had a pair of CK's vertfins from the 40,50,60, ect, staring at me and then it clicked.

I personally like the way it looks, much sleeker, and this also gets some vert area below the plane which has helped with standard wings. It puts the vertical are farther back. It doubles as a motor protector and landing skids.

Now I just need to fly her and see if it improves the tracking at slower speeds. Weather permited I will get her out this weekend.

What do you guys think about the new look?
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Oct 05, 2007, 10:38 PM
Joined Aug 2004
595 Posts
Hey Atom, Looking good bro, those should be very functional and maybe save a prop or two.

I am not going to be able to add the drooped wing tips on my wing as the carbon strip in the top extends to the tip. I will see how it handles in this configuration before adding anything, can always add some coroplast winglets later if needed.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 11:01 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
I would'nt worry about drooping the tips, you'll be fine, personally I don't like the way the elevons look when the tips are drooped.

I thought about adding wingtips to mine but I realized the wing tip is not parrallel to the root. It would cause excessive drag.

Keep the pix coming bronco, I really want to see how she does on the slopes.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025