HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by target, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:25 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
I still have to make proper ballast spacers. I will use basswood laminated strips.
T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Oct 13, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:05 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
I'll be cleaning this build thread up soon, eliminating all comments that aren't pertinent to the actual build. Don't be offended!

Thanks,
Target
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:58 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
I'm starting my Ceres (F3B version) and the servo mounts ended up a bit off from what's shown in the instructions - and where yours are. Basically, when lining up the servo horns with the surface horns (using a square), ended up with the bearing support blocks actually under the wing skin...in other words, the hatch perimeter is shifted sideways about 2-3mm from where it should be.

No problem for the flap servos, as there is adequate clearance between the block and lower skin to get the servo in/out, but for ailerons it will require relieving the recessed lip that supports the hatch cover. Not a huge deal as it just requires removing about a CM wide section of the lip, but if I simply glued in the mounts as per instruction without confirming alignment, I would have significantly canted linkages. Not good.

Also, the trough in the upper skin for the aileron servos (where the mount sits) is not aligned with the hatch fore-aft. Even with a large bevel on the aft edge of the mount, the servo mount is oriented more forward such that the servo lug is under the wing skin. Again, not a big deal, but makes me think they're not paying attention when closing the molds. If they just made the damn hatches a few mm larger it would eliminate these issues (why must the hatch so closely follow the servo outline anyway??)

It's still a fantastic ship and these things won't detract from the flying qualities.

On the battery, I went with a 1500 MAh 2/3A pack, in "three up, one down" config. The SC cells result in a pack that sits further back in the fuse due to the large cell diameter. The 2/3A pack fits just about completely forward of the hatch opening.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:29 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
But Tom, I really like my SC cells!
Kidding, really. I think the recommended configuration is --ll, not -lll, and I have a brand new pack of 1500 2/3A in the --ll that you can HAVE, if you are interested.
If so, just say so, I'll give it to Timmig this weekend, he's down by you in OC.

Please post the pics of your servo issues, if you have time.

Target
Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:41 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Target - With your --|| config - do you still have enough room for balancing lead?
Did you mold or use lead shot?
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:37 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs99v
Target - With your --|| config - do you still have enough room for balancing lead?
Did you mold or use lead shot?

There was (room for balancing lead) with the SC cells. They really aren't much farther back form the nose, in my opinion.... But the cells are a lot fatter, so the pack may be a bit longer? Not sure on that.

I used shot and epoxy, but only had to add 2-3/4 oz anyway....
So I guess my battery wasn't that bad a selection after all?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:56 PM
Eggcellent...
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Tried mockups of both - the 2/3a in -lll config fits best. The cells are small enough that two down is not necessary. Just a sliver of the fourth cell is visible at the forward edge of the hatch.

My servo woes continue....clevises do not fit in the surface horn holes. No way to ream them since everything's flush.

Tom
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:30 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
I used either Sullivan or Dubro 4-40, and I never tried the supplied ones because I was missing the 3mm threaded rods...
The 4-40 fit perfectly, for what that's worth...
You may want to just use what you have in stock and move on with the build.
The clevises are so close together, I really doubt that stiffness in the all-thread will be any issue, but I don't do those winch launches, either.

G/L,
Target
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:19 AM
Eggcellent...
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Will check it out...thanks. I'll post some pics of my servo install this weekend. The off-center hatch thing is more an inconvenience than anything else - relieving the cover support lip a bit over the bearing block allows the aileron servos to slide in and out. It's tight, but it works.

Am really foaming at the mouth to get this thing on an F3B winch.

Tom
Old Oct 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
I think I managed second place today at White Point's F3F; I have to say it WAS the plane, NOT me!
The CERES is a ROCKET upwind, and I made some OK turns, and some really lame ones today.
My CG is at 107mm, and I flew it empty the first round, 2 slugs second round, 6 slugs for two rounds, TEN slugs for two rounds (FULL!), and back down to 6 slugs for the last round...
Condition built throughout the day, and the wind did it's usual shift towards the west, creating both up and downwind legs.

I'm REALLY liking this plane.

T
Last edited by target; Oct 21, 2007 at 01:25 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:52 AM
oak park ca
Joined Mar 2004
659 Posts
Chris,
The tube you made is so trick, the slugs go in & out so easily.
It fits perfectly and just enough room between the elevator & rudder control rods.
You are one very talented builder.
Thanks for all the time you put into in, its perfect!
Woody
WOODY1 is offline Find More Posts by WOODY1
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:06 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
Great! Glad you like it.

For those interested, Woody requested a 20mm ballast tube, so that he could utilize the same ballast that his Skorpion uses; 9 pieces 36mm long each x 20mm diameter.
The tube needed to be extended about 60mm in the front of the stack, to allow access from the canopy for loading. The total tube length is about 390-400mm long.

Target
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:04 PM
Eggcellent...
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Standard battery pack fitted

Ended up having another battery pack made, with 2/3A cells in the regular 'flat' config. After adding the permanent noseweight, it took up enough space that the "down" cell in front was unnecessary. With the standard config, the pack fits even further forward, which is good. I'm under 76oz RTF at a 108mm CG.

Tom
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:45 AM
oak park ca
Joined Mar 2004
659 Posts
I finally finished my Ceres!!!!!!!
Only 2 months has gone by.
It came in at 89.6 oz.
The all up weight is 164.3 oz.
I do not think the F3F empty weight is a problem and will more than likely never fly it empty.
Woody
Last edited by WOODY1; Dec 18, 2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2008, 01:40 PM
oak park ca
Joined Mar 2004
659 Posts
Chris,
I am setting up the control throws and would appreciate your current set up, I can save some time useing yours and possibly some frustration!
Woody