Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,836 Posts
Trader Rating: 57
Discussion
Who should pay return shipping costs?

So, lemme ask "the masses" a question.

Lets say you sell a used plane "shipped" for about half of the original purchase price.

The buyer does not request insurance so you dont insure it.

Said plane gets badly damaged in shipping.

What do you do?

A. Offer to refund the purchase price only, take the plane back and eat the loss. (buyer eats the cost of return shipping, under $10)

B: Give 1/2 the purchase price as a refund and the buyer keeps the plane.

C: Say, oh well, sucks to be you.

D: Refund the purchase price, pay for the return shipping, and end up with a busted up plane and a loss of another $15-$20 for shipping the plane both ways.

What you guys think?

Laine
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2007, 11:59 AM
I fly, therefore I am.
Dade City, Florida
Joined Oct 2005
3,095 Posts
Trader Rating: 78
Tough question. If I was the buyer I guess I'd choose A or B. If I was the seller C would be my ideal choice, but doubt the buyer'd be happy. Was it shipped USPS? I think they have free insurance for the 1st $50 or $100....
Cessna 182 is offline Find More Posts by Cessna 182
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:09 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Trader Rating: 181
Laine,

good question; I think it really depends on the "terms" of the sale and the particular situation. Most ad placers on RCGroups can stand a lesson from Ebay sellers. I always include my terms of sale which cover these types of things, therefore by purchasing the item, the buyer is ageeing to my terms of sale and anything outside of these terms are his/her responsibility. For example, I always state in my terms that insurance is extra but highly recommended as I am not responsible for items damaged, lost, or stolen in the mail. Of course, it's my responsibility to ensure that I do a reasonbly adequate packing job to protect items in transit. Should the buyer waive the insurance then it will be their responsibility.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Oct 03, 2007, 03:51 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Trader Rating: 141
I'm with doubletap - the terms should be clear, othyerwise I feel it is the responsibility of the seller up until the point that it is delivered safely. In this case, if you didn't clearly state that insurance was not included, I feel it's up to you to make good. If you did, however, then it's the buyer's responsibility.
I recently shipped a model that got crunched in transit, as it was a cheap model I didn't buy insurance. As a result, I refunded some of the purchase price (by mutual agreement)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 03, 2007, 03:58 PM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Trader Rating: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
If it's something of value, you always insure it. It's for your own CYA, not for the buyer if they choose not to pay for insurance. Think of shipping insurance kind of like PayPal fees, it's cost of doing business. Just something I have learned over the years.

Good luck.
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old Oct 03, 2007, 04:49 PM
I fly, therefore I am.
Dade City, Florida
Joined Oct 2005
3,095 Posts
Trader Rating: 78
Good grief, Andy, 35,000 posts!?
Got lots of free time?
Cessna 182 is offline Find More Posts by Cessna 182
Old Oct 03, 2007, 05:43 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
I'm with Andy and DT. If the price was "shipped" and there was no specific discussion about insurance, the liability is on the shipper. If I were you, I'd try to work a deal to refund a portion of the purchase price and have the buyer keep the damaged goods.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Oct 03, 2007, 06:22 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,836 Posts
Well, I agree with pretty much everything I've read here. Thanks guys. The refund is issued and the plane, or whats left of it, is on its way back to me. Its all good. Just one of those things that happens sometimes no matter how unfortunate.

Laine.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:17 PM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
So, lemme ask "the masses" a question.

Lets say you sell a used plane "shipped" for about half of the original purchase price.

Said plane gets badly damaged in shipping.

What you guys think?

Laine
Laine,
No opinion to offer on your options.

I am having difficulty deciding who has the responsibilities for shipping. If I could come to some understanding on this then I thing your poser above would be soluble in my mind.

Assuming the agreement was to purchase and post the item, not just purchase.
The seller enters a contract to supply with the buyer.
The seller then enters a contract with the shipper to deliver in as posted condition to the supplied address.
If it is damaged then the responsibility lies with the contract between shipper and seller.

OR
The seller enters a contract to sell with the buyer and arranges postage on behalf of the buyer.
The seller hands over responsibility to the shipper to deliver in as posted condition to the supplied address. (Has the seller discharged his duty under the contract with the buyer on giving to shipper?)
If it is damaged then the responsibility lies with the shipper and the buyer must pursue the shipper for recompense.

Anyone have any thoughts? I favour the first from a moral stance but this is business.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:37 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,836 Posts
Well, the only problem is, unless you purchase insurance from the USPS, they will not cover any damages. Period. At least that is what they told me today.

That tells me, that they could run over my package with a truck 10 times, then deliver it and they have zero liability/responsibility to pay for the damages.

Laine.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:59 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Trader Rating: 141
That is correct. At least UPS provides some basic insurance (but good luck claiming for any damage!)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:20 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,205 Posts
Trader Rating: 118
I think it's the sellers responsibly to get the plane to the buyer.
Unless other terms are arranged.

Buyer is paying for a intact product.
It your responsibility to pack and ship the product to arrive in good shape.
If that is going to require insurance then you should be pricing your product accordingly or making the terms up front.

I assume that the product is going to be crushed/trashed/ or folded in 1/2.
I pack and price accordingly.

Don't have a remedy for your problem but I would say "A"
Buyer should step up to the plate too.

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:11 PM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Trader Rating: 333
While this does not really address the question posed by the OP it's something to keep in mind.

If you received payment via PayPal no amount of disclaimer posted in your sales terms can protect you from being forced to take the item back if PP deems you should do so under their buyer protection terms.

I've found this out the very very hard way.

The couple of times I have been forced to accept an item back by PP the -buyer- paid the return shipping via carrier of their choice -with- tracking.

The lessons learned from these unpleasant experiences were if you -really- don't want to eat an item pack it to survive nuclear war and buy the insurance.

--
Mike N
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:16 PM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Trader Rating: 333
One more observation/point to make (this time on topic)

Pretty much any warranty/return terms you read say the buyer is responsible for return shipping. Any refunds are less shipping/handling fees.

So, having said that bear this in mind.

We've all seen the cheap (and not-so-cheap) items offered on FeeBay for $.99 and $49.99 shipping right? Guess what your refund might be if you bought a broken one and were offered a refund instead of replacement/repair? Total price my backside I say.

Sorry for the long ramble-rant.

--
Mike N
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:32 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmaster

Pretty much any warranty/return terms you read say the buyer is responsible for return shipping. Any refunds are less shipping/handling fees.

Mike N
That is my thought on it too.

Thanks guys. I will be closing this thread soon. I appreciate all the input.

Laine.
Closed Thread