HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:33 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,381 Posts
Discussion
3000 kV Blue (Silver) Wonder

Does any one have experience with this motor yet? What is the best prop, esc etc. for this motor? https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5453

I'm a little surprised by the UH data and prop size selection for this motor??
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:41 AM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Strange...Im wiring up my first one on a blu albacorde as we speak. Im pairing it with the towerpro 25 amp esc...Im going to try a 6 X something on it first.
I should have it going by noon EST. I can let you know what I find out by bench running the motor. (Too windy to fly )

Jasta

edit: sorry...Im using the 1700kv. I would go with the 25 amp esc on the 3000 as well...same price ($12) as the 12amp...but 3 times as heavy .
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
Old Oct 03, 2007, 05:42 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,381 Posts
Thanks Jasta,

I believe the current draw they post for this motor using those props, I'm surprised those motors can handle that much power 22A x 7.4V = 162.8W!!
Old Oct 03, 2007, 06:18 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Yikes! Make sure it's got plenty of airflow to help keep it cool!!
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
Old Oct 03, 2007, 06:55 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I'd guess it may be able to live with 10a max...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:38 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
I agree with Gene... If you put 20amps through this motor it won't be flying for long.

I don't like to push my 'wonder' motors past 10amp either... Really like to stay around 8-9 amps max...

Remember... concerning the 'wonder series' of motors... they're all really the same components so none of these motors can stand any more heat than any other one...

That being said... I also have a 3000kv chrome wonder and will be putting it on something soon...

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:38 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Thanks Jasta,

I believe the current draw they post for this motor using those props, I'm surprised those motors can handle that much power 22A x 7.4V = 162.8W!!
LF: Where do you get the 22A from? Is that using a 2200mAH battery?
I'm just trying to figure all these power/wattage/amp formulas and how prop/battery/motor all relate to each other...

Thanks
AC
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Oct 03, 2007, 10:09 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF
LF: Where do you get the 22A from? Is that using a 2200mAH battery?
I'm just trying to figure all these power/wattage/amp formulas and how prop/battery/motor all relate to each other...

Thanks
AC

If you click on the link in the first post you should see the 22A in the published data for this motor.

I just have a feeling that pushing that many electrons through this motor is going to create "smoke signals" of distress.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 11:47 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,684 Posts
I know the person that wrote the first review on that little motor under the price and motor mount link. AWSOME motor on a light plane with a 2S pack. Freaking awsome!!!
Watch the prop size and use a good ESC. My little castle 9 would not spin it up much. I am pushing it some but for the price...
I tried a couple times to run a 3S pack but it won't wind up to full. I may have to change the timing on my ESC, don't know. Regardless, on a 2S...
This is the first 2S plane I have liked.

Rick Distler
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Oct 04, 2007, 10:35 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,381 Posts
Prop Calculator

I spent some time with this prop calculator: http://adamone.rchomepage.com/calc_motor.htm

Looks like the set up I'm going to use with this motor is a 3s battery and a 5 x 2.5 prop. The calculator gives the following results:

Static thrust: 347 grams
Current: 11.3A

If the calculator is reasonably good, this should work pretty well for me.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 08:20 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
lead - if you have a wattmeter be sure to use it when you test that motor using that prop/battery combo... Seems like it might get hot quick...

Without a meter, do the run for two seconds, stop and feel the motor for heat test and then increment by two seconds and test again until you feel reasonably safe that it won't overheat.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Oct 05, 2007, 08:40 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith
lead - if you have a wattmeter be sure to use it when you test that motor using that prop/battery combo... Seems like it might get hot quick...

Without a meter, do the run for two seconds, stop and feel the motor for heat test and then increment by two seconds and test again until you feel reasonably safe that it won't overheat.
Good idea, better than waiting for smoke signals from the motor
Old Nov 06, 2007, 06:26 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,381 Posts
update

I've been flying the 3000 kV silver wonder with a 5 x 2.5 prop for many outings now. I don't fly wot most the time. Even when I fly pretty aggressively it has never gotten very hot at all; warm at best.

Wish I had a watt meter to see what it draws.

The only issue I have is what I think is timing. At some throttle/load conditions it it makes a grinding sort of noise...probably an esc issue???
Old Nov 06, 2007, 06:58 PM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
There is a quick and easy technique on my blog to measure Watts using two Wal-Mart digital Volt/Amp meters.
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:20 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Haven't done much with it yet, but I did adapt on to an EDF64.

I ground the OD of a round firewall mount to the ID of the motor tube on the EDF housing, stuck the shaft out the other end, and drilled out the impeller adapter to 3mm, 1/64" at a time...

In the pictures, you can see I started with the kit, but finished with the BW/3000.

Quick spin up, and about 7.8a on 3s. Not bad. I want to compare the efficiencies to a 300H version I have on the way.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond