SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2007, 10:36 PM
Ohh Snapp!
Joined Sep 2005
1,822 Posts
I have TWO of those cats. Just not sure which one it is.....

Good news is...now the cat can fit inside this plane next time it happens. But I may have problems with a moving CG.
CatchmyCorsair is offline Find More Posts by CatchmyCorsair
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2007, 11:07 PM
I got it! I got it!
Berkeley Springs, WV
Joined Mar 2006
2,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchmyCorsair
I have TWO of those cats. Just not sure which one it is.....

Good news is...now the cat can fit inside this plane next time it happens. But I may have problems with a moving CG.
Give Kitty enough Prozac and it won't move much
Earle
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Old Oct 02, 2007, 11:17 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
Joining the H-stab to the fuse

My first step is to join the h-stab to the fuse. I cut out the covering from the fuse sides, lined up the stab in it's slot, and marked the edges. Next, I trimmed the covering from the center of the stab, and test fit it in the slot.

One nice thing here is that the bottom of the stab slot is sheeted - this is great - it give lots of bonding area. On the slight complaint side of the bargain, the stab slot was a bit looser than I would have liked, but the gap's not offensively large. I suppose this is why PU glue was invented, so Sumo it is for gluing the tail in.

When you use Sumo, be sure to have lots of acetone at the ready to clean up the excess foam that's sure to squeeze out of your joint.
Jeremy Sebens is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Sebens
Old Oct 02, 2007, 11:55 PM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
Control horns and landing gear

A few miscellaneous tasks while the stab cures...

Assembly of the landing gear is pretty straightforward - it works pretty much exactly like the Aspera gear, although it is a one-piece unit.

I also went ahead and glued in the control horns on all surfaces. These are nice phenolic horns, and my buddy Sumo is busy permanently bonding them with the surfaces.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:06 AM
Scott Summersgill
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Feb 2001
558 Posts
Very nice!
smsgill is offline Find More Posts by smsgill
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:41 AM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
Puttin' it all together

Next, I glued all the hinges in, and voila - we're ready for a test assembly.

The only remaining "construction" item is the tailgear. After that, it's just radio and power system installation.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 03:04 AM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
Motor's installed

OK, got the firewall forward work done. More details on the power system later, but the motor fit like a charm.

Very good paint match on the cowl/canopy/covering...
Old Oct 03, 2007, 03:18 AM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
Tailwheel

OK, the tailwheel is installed. It's pretty standard 3DH fare. No problems here.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 04:26 AM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
Aileron servos and linkages

Next up, and last thing for tonight, I installed the wing servos and hooked up the aileron linkages.

My advice on putting standard servos in the wings: don't do it. It's not worth it. I ended up having to install a new hardwood rail on the aft end of the servo bay. All in all, they're in there, but it's not very pretty.

The aileron linkage is pretty straightforward. I reversed the ball link and the L-bend for this installation, as I'm using aluminum arms on the servo.

That just leaves the elevators and the rudder to finish off. Based on the hassle of upping to standard servos in the wings, I think I'll use something that fits the servo cutouts in the tail. That might set me back by a day or two, but we'll see.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 04:29 AM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
OK, kids - that's it for today's episode. Tune in tomorrow for the final touches.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:08 AM
I got it! I got it!
Berkeley Springs, WV
Joined Mar 2006
2,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sebens
OK, kids - that's it for today's episode. Tune in tomorrow for the final touches.
OK Jeremy...it's WAY into "tomorrow"...ya done yet?
Earle
Old Oct 03, 2007, 10:48 AM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
Funny man...

But having just woken up, I'm too sleepy to hunt you down, so I may just send the aforementioned cats to eat your planes...
Old Oct 03, 2007, 10:57 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
A plague of cats on his house?
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2007, 11:17 AM
I got it! I got it!
Berkeley Springs, WV
Joined Mar 2006
2,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sebens
Funny man...

But having just woken up, I'm too sleepy to hunt you down, so I may just send the aforementioned cats to eat your planes...
I got the pistol loaded ...and LOTS of ammo
Old Oct 03, 2007, 11:39 AM
Joined Aug 2005
482 Posts
So my sage advice for today: when Ben tells you what servo to put in a plane, just buy it and put it in. I made the mistake of thinking "I've got some nice midrange digitals around the house, and I don't mind the extra ounce or two of weight - plus, I'll get some more speed and torque".

Silly Jeremy.

Shoehorning them into the wings wasn't any fun, and I could have completely finished the plane in the time I wasted on modifying the bays to take the 3050s. I could probably modify the bays in the tail to take standards for the elvator, but the rudder tray isn't big enough for a standard, so why bother?

This airplane is designed around mini servos, and that's a wise decision on Ben's part. They didn't seem absurdly large in the servo box, but the 3050's are really a bit big for the wings. This is a larger plane than the 47", but it's still a moderately small airplane, and the mini servos are an apropriate size.

Now I will wait impatiently for my HS5245's to arrive for the tail surfaces, and will finish the plane up as soon as they arrive. Then I will start treatment for "big-servo snob disorder".
Last edited by Jeremy Sebens; Oct 03, 2007 at 02:28 PM.