SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:39 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Dec 2003
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
You mean PCM, don't you?

chewy
Uh, yeah . . . . bummer . . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline Find More Posts by tadawson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:24 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
901 Posts
Tim I have a Robbe F-14 8 channel radio on Surface freq. 84 Is there a conversion for this radio? I know it is Futaba inside but no idea of the number. We may need to do some more talking to figure it out, but it would be fabulous to have 2.4 on board.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:37 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
901 Posts
Answered my own question by looking at the transmitter, no box to change, no conversion. Oh well if everyone goes to 2.4 my FM unit will have less folks to share the channel. New radio time will be a 2.4 unit, but want to wear this one out first.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:14 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Actually if it has a trainer port then you could use the Universal module. Or if you were feeling up to it could use the universal module and remove the RF from the radio and replace it with the board from the universal module. Similar to the way the EVO and Profi installs are done. If the radio uses PPM it shouldnt be too difficult.

http://xtremepowersystems.net/prodde...hp?prod=XPS-G1
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:58 AM
early retired & loving it
USA, AZ, Kingman
Joined Aug 2005
1,229 Posts
I found tha the XPS Futaba module works in an old Hitec Aristo-Craft Challenger 620. This was one of the first narrow band modular TXs from the late 80's that was 1991 compatible. The module is much smaller than the opening on the back of the TX but the plug connections are the same.
bnrusso is offline Find More Posts by bnrusso
Old May 14, 2008, 06:32 AM
Joined May 2008
4 Posts
Does it also works with Futaba FC-28?

Thanks
RipperXXL is offline Find More Posts by RipperXXL
Old May 19, 2008, 11:51 PM
Joined Nov 2007
39 Posts
What radio am I using?

I am using the 2.4 system on my old ( bought in 1986 )JR Circus Circus 7 channel single stick FM unit. The receiver is the 8 channel receiver. The system works well and I was surprised at how easily it went together. I worried a lot before I bought and converted. Now I am happy!
Frank
sirdrakejr is offline Find More Posts by sirdrakejr
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:33 PM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Nov 2008
547 Posts
Does anyone know if it will work with a Futaba FP-9VAP? Thanks! Oh, and hi everyone! First post.
balistc1000 is offline Find More Posts by balistc1000
Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:58 PM
Joined Nov 2007
39 Posts
Using the XPS system now

I acquired the XPS system to use in my JR Circus Circus single stick system. I got it in January and do a range check each time I change a plane. The receiver binds to the transmitter and control is not lost when range checked on the ground. BUT something here in Las Vegas causes the unit to fail. I have lost control of two planes. One twice using the system. I am not the only one. He and I have both removed the system from our planes. I have written to tech support and get the same answers I got at a flying event here. It is either weak batteries (NOT) or something else. I would believe it was something I was doing but since it is something occurring in other systems as well, I doubt it. So what does XPS do when they have an interference problem? Until I can find a suitable answer I wont use it again not will I recommend it to anyone else. It may be a great system but until someone in tech support will LISTEN and TRY to offer a FIX, it ain't going in another of my planes.
Frank
Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:38 PM
tow
Norway, Nord-Trondelag, Namsos
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipperXXL
Does it also works with Futaba FC-28?

Thanks
A friend of mine have used XPS-module in an FC-18 and FC-28 fopr years. Works great!
tow is offline Find More Posts by tow
Old Nov 28, 2008, 08:05 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
There is nothing to "fix". We have sold tens of thousands of systems world-wide over the last 2 years. If there was an inherent problem with the system, it would have been quite obvious long ago.

Las Vegas is the noise floor capital of the world. Even our new full time frequency hopping is not immune to what goes on there. At both flying fields, you are within eyesight distance from Nellis and the Nexrad facility. That Nexrad tower is 750,000 watts of power on 2.7GHz, and yes it bleeds over the entire 2.4GHz band. We witness numerous crashes there on 72MHz and 2.4GHz, and we have heard many reports of systems all going down at the exact same time.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:21 PM
Joined Nov 2007
39 Posts
Actually I fly in the western side of the city near Red Rocks. There is nothing out here like Nellis. If we are the "noise floor capital" of the world and you were AWARE of a problem, why wasn't there some warning to those of us who live here when we buy the system? After I spend a couple of hundred $$ I am told that?! And why don't the users of the Spektrum radios have a problem? Is there NOTHING to be done to block that interference?
Frank
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:23 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Are you flying at the field close to the grade school and new housing complexes on the backside (built in the last few years)?

There are problems with all radio systems at both fields. 72Mhz to 2.4GHz has problems competing with military radar, Nexrad radar, and the dozens of TV repeaters. To help with the noise problem, the SuperFly event was actually scheduled a week apart from the airshow. Every year at this event (especially when the Thunderbirds are flying), multiple aircraft (on all frequencies) lock out at the same time on a regular basis. This is a well known fact and always conversation with the local clubs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2008, 02:37 PM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Nov 2008
547 Posts
Hey Jim,

I have a Futaba 9VAP that has the same size module as the 7UHP transmitter I also have. Does it make a difference that one module(7UHP) is narrow band and the other isn't? So will your system work with the 9VAP? Thanks.
balistc1000 is offline Find More Posts by balistc1000
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:08 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
If the module fits, it will work.
RCG Plus Member