SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2002, 07:31 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

Carefully slip the motor into the assembled GB letting the two inside gears mesh before pushing any farther into the housing.

I had to run the motor with a prop to give it a little time to smooth out. I think a little oil in the gears will further loosed up the friction.

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2002, 07:38 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

The only testing I have done since getting the unit yesterday is to get a prop on the unit and run it with different battery packs.

9 X 4.7 will move a lot of air, so will a 8 X 6. I am not able to turn this into numeric values because I was running the thing in my fingers.

I do think there will be some applications for this little GB and motor. It will not work for manythings like it's big brother, but for smaller and lighter applications where space may be a limiting factor, this may be the answer.

Roger
Old Dec 06, 2002, 06:34 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Flight Report

I realize that I'm almost reporting to myself, but to complete the project, I mounted the motor and GB in the Herr Breezy Day Cub, the 36" one.

I simply slipped a nylon tie into the motor mount and tightened it down onto the GB.

Once I got the balance going a little nose heavy, I took it out to the vacant field near the house and put it up. It took a few starts to find the correct trim and then it just flew.

I was turning a GWS 7 X 6. With an AUW of 7 oz, the plane wanted to climb esaily. I had to add some down to get the plane on step. Once I achieved that, I turned the power down. It almost kept flying at the same speed. It was great to see it in the air with the little power unit.

Then the motor backed out of the GB and I had to shut the power down and land. It was a good day of flying!

Roger
Old Dec 06, 2002, 06:51 PM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Thats interesting to see. I always thought they would be great for small multiengine planes. Neat to see that its not only cute , but can actually do a job
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Dec 06, 2002, 07:04 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
I Was Surprised!

Hi Uncled,

I was really surprised with the actual speed that the plane developed. It was not as fast as the 280, but once I got it trimed out, it was plenty fast. I was worried that it might only produce enough speed to hang on the prop or somethig. It did far better than that.

I guess it's just something to file away for some other project.

Take Care,

Roger
Old Dec 16, 2002, 09:32 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
what's the function of the threading on the shaft and the nut/spacer that goes on it?

I just got one and am a bit confused by this... I'm planning on making my bug into a powered glider (2sx2p kokam 145) with an airdyn folding prop, should be less than 1oz of extra weight!
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Dec 16, 2002, 09:41 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by opualuan
what's the function of the threading on the shaft and the nut/spacer that goes on it?

I just got one and am a bit confused by this... I'm planning on making my bug into a powered glider (2sx2p kokam 145) with an airdyn folding prop, should be less than 1oz of extra weight!
Its for mounting thru a bulkhead, drill a hole, bolt the gearbox on and viola! the gearbox is made by VL Products, its been discussed in the indoor forum, and appears to be held in high regards- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s&pagenumber=1

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Dec 16, 2002, 09:56 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

opualuan,

Dylwad has it right. I think these little GBs and a neat way to mount them will make for some nice applications and may be good for the rubber conversions. Some spaces in the cowl are small. This makes size not a problem.

Roger
Old Dec 16, 2002, 09:58 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Roger:

Somehow I missed your success story on the Herr Cub with this box. Glad it worked out, sounds nice. What battery were you using with the 7x6 prop?

I'm surprised it was adequate on that big of a plane. I may have to rethink it's applications.

Did you do anything special to get the Herr Cub down to 7 oz? Or is it just a function of the lighter motor and batteries? I like the sound of it Just can't keep from loving a good Cub...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:30 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
ah, bulkhead mount... makes sense now! that actually makes it work out perfect for me...

anyone used these with an n20? I could see some nice mini scale subjects for twin n20's inline or twin ips's... think these could handle the rpm's of a lightly propped edf motor?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:33 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

genebond,

The frame is 5 ounces as I remember, which is not bad to work from. The problem had been to get enough power without getting too heavy with the motor and battery pack. I began flying it with a Poly pack and loved it. It would MOVE and had a huge range of flight.

Then the Poly pack began to go south from being drained too fast. I bought a heavier ESC and ran 6 cell 600 mah NiMH packs. It was up to 10 oz, but could do ok. It did need a long straight-in approach for landing and was on the hot side on the ground.

By going back to the light weight motor and GB, I simply strapped it to the motor brace and flew 880 Polys with a little ESC. I did have to get the prop right. It flew best with a GWS 7 X 6. The AUW was 7 oz.

I have since retired the plane to Sarah's 1st Grade class. The most improved boy will get to take it home when school ends.

Thanks,

Roger
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:39 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

opualuan,

I don't know.

I probably have 45 minutes of running in on the GB and it was a little dry when I pulled things out of the plane. I think the gears were just getting set and rounded a little. They are plastic. The GB is much more quiet now.

I have the two of them set aside for a rubber conversion. I think they will be just the thing for a 27 to 30 inch stick model powered with poly cells.

I have EDF motors ordered, but they have not arrived yet. "Come on Perry!"

Roger