Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2002, 10:51 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

Has any one had any experience with this little GB? I am wondering if it can fit into places the stick and GB wold not easily fit?

How do they hold up in use?

Thanks for your information and responses,
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2002, 10:54 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

Here is what it looks like.

Roger
Old Dec 01, 2002, 11:19 PM
NRH, TX
Joined Jan 2002
190 Posts
I was wondering the same thing Rodger.

My cousin likes to smash gear boxes left and right. This one looks more crash resistant.
Flying Taco is offline Find More Posts by Flying Taco
Old Dec 01, 2002, 11:38 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

Flying Taco,

Thanks for the bump. I hope they are more crash resistant.

I have been thinking of a simple way to mount them. Use a paper tube and some tape or a piece of a rubber band to friction fit the motor. If you have ever shot model rockets, it's the same idea as the motor to a rocket.

That would eliminate the weight of the stick and in some cases may be easier to mount. I have waited on building my MM Cessna 180 for this reason.

Thanks,

Roger
Old Dec 02, 2002, 12:19 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,446 Posts
Roger:

Who makes it/ sells it? I'd like to know more. I've trashed several IPS GB's and sure would like something sturdier.

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Dec 02, 2002, 12:35 AM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/%20...ear_ratio__for<br%20/_gws_ips_or_n20__gws_edp-20__m_1247318.htm
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Dec 02, 2002, 12:39 AM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Link don't seem to work right but go to aeromicro and they have it listed under their gearbox link.
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Dec 02, 2002, 01:40 AM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

Hi Chuck,

Uncled got it. This is the only place I have seen them. I wonder if they are being stocked by any other place.

Anybody know?

Roger
Old Dec 02, 2002, 05:24 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
I hope GWS4CEO reads this and that GWS start making a good planetary gearbox for the IPS motor with their usual nice price

/Erik
Erik Johansson is offline Find More Posts by Erik Johansson
Old Dec 02, 2002, 11:06 AM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
planetary gear box

I purchased one of these from Aeromicro to use on a Demoiselle I built from RC Microflight plans. I just finished the plane and it's had one flight. (sorry, no pics yet) Obviously, I can't say anything about the longevity of the gear box, but it certainly runs smooth and quiet. A couple of tips: Don't trust the friction fit on the motor casing. On mine, the motor started spinning inside the plastic friction ring. I solved the problem by using some 3/4" shrink tubing just over the edge of the plastic friction ring and down onto the motor casing. A drop of CA at the front and rear of the shrink tubing locked everything up tight and I can still separate the gearbox from the motor if needed. Perry suggested limiting the prop size to nothing over 8". I used an APC 8x6 prop with some creative bushings to accomodate the 2mm prop "shaft" (a 2mm screw). I used some tacky glue on the screw threads when installing the prop to keep the motor torque from unscrewing the prop shaft. (don't ask how I found out why you need to do that)
Assuming that this GB has reasonable life expectancy, it certainly opens up new uses. We could build multi-engined planes with motor/gearboxes that could actually fit in a nacelle. No more relying on DD motors with high amperage/thrust ratios.
For those of us who are flight skills challenged, the box certainly looks like it could take a 9G landing better than the standard GWS gear box.
One final point. You will need the GWS micro gear puller set to change the pinion gear. Sart the pull with the largest diameter pin, and then finish the extraction with the medium size pin. DON'T start with the smallest diameter pin like I did!

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
Old Dec 05, 2002, 06:53 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Good Tips and Information!

DEPENDS,

Well stated! I used some of your information to get the first unit assembled. Thanks for the tips.

I did use the largest pin to break the gear loose from the shaft. After that it just came of easily.

I pushed the small pinion gear onto the shaft. I was worried that it didn't seat on as far as the previous gear, but it was on as far as it wanted to go. I began to assemble the various parts of the GB and found that things just slipped together.

I connected a battery to the motor and away it spun.

After a while the two black pieces came apart, so I used black electrical tape to keep it together. The kit has blue tape supplied for this purpose.
Old Dec 05, 2002, 07:00 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

This shows the pinion gear that needs to be removed.
Old Dec 05, 2002, 07:09 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
GWS shows an 8x6 at 5:1 on 6 cells (LPS) to only be 1.65A. If this is adequate power for your application, then the motor should last a looooong time.

I wish it was available in 3.5:1, like the S2 box, to spin a 7x6 or 8x4.3.... I'm afraid the 5:1 / 8x6 will not be adequate for my current application I think I would need a 9x7 or so.

But, maybe an edf with a 6x5......
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 05, 2002, 07:12 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

Here is the new pinion gear.
Old Dec 05, 2002, 07:21 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
GearBox on an IPS Motor

This is an attempt to show the two gears inside the box.