HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:30 PM
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Discussion
Hobby Zone Super Cub "LIPO"

I keep hearing about making the switch to LIPO and as a beginner flyer I was curious to know the advantages and disadvantages to making this change.

Also instructions on how to if they are available.

Thanks
Toeknee32 is offline Find More Posts by Toeknee32
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:14 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Lipos have several advantages:

1) lighter
2) hold volts better/longer so you have a longer flight before the motor slows
3) charge faster
4) hold their charge longer... IE you cna charge the night before and they are still ready the next morning.

For the SC a 3s 2100 lipo weighs about the same as the stock battery but will give you 15 minute flights.... theres a jumper you need to move but I am not sure where it is or where to move it... my SC is custom electronics...
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:18 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
I plugged a 2s lipo into my SC and it ran fine (setting on the bench) and I didn't move any thing.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:20 PM
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS
Lipos have several advantages:

1) lighter
2) hold volts better/longer so you have a longer flight before the motor slows
3) charge faster
4) hold their charge longer... IE you cna charge the night before and they are still ready the next morning.

For the SC a 3s 2100 lipo weighs about the same as the stock battery but will give you 15 minute flights.... theres a jumper you need to move but I am not sure where it is or where to move it... my SC is custom electronics...
Is there any specific brand or model number for the lipo?
do you have any suggestions and also a charger?

Any help is appreciated
thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:36 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,348 Posts
Spend some time here in the appropriate sections:
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi

Lots of people have gone lipo or complete conversion. The one suggested (3s 2100) will work but you need to cut a hole in the bottom of the battery box and mount it vertically behind the firewall. They are too long for the box normally. You can measure the box and go shopping for lipos that will fit.

If you think to use them you should take some time to do a lot of reading about them, advantages, limitations, dangers, charging, etc. rather than just ask someone to point you at a brand and size and go merrily off to get them. It's a bit more complicated than that.

fly
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:46 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver
Spend some time here in the appropriate sections:
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi

Lots of people have gone lipo or complete conversion. The one suggested (3s 2100) will work but you need to cut a hole in the bottom of the battery box and mount it vertically behind the firewall. They are too long for the box normally. You can measure the box and go shopping for lipos that will fit.

If you think to use them you should take some time to do a lot of reading about them, advantages, limitations, dangers, charging, etc. rather than just ask someone to point you at a brand and size and go merrily off to get them. It's a bit more complicated than that.

fly
Also, decide what brand/s you will buy. Don't end up with 30million different kinds, with different balancers taps.

For example: I bought one heavy 20C Electrifly 3s-2100, which is a good bat, but too heavy and expensive, when there is lighter/cheaper competition that will do the same thing. I also bought their balacer, which was good for just that batt. What I did was make an adapter so I can use the balancer with my TP and EVO batteries also. TP and EVO are both top brands, and have the same balancer tap. Just as an example, this is 1 reason that would make it ideal to stick to these 2 brands. Still, there are a number of good brands out there. I have one Etec batt, that has a different balancer scheme than both my Electrifly, and tp/EVO batts. I'm not going to bother making another adapter, and wont get any more of those batts, for other reasons too. Their okay, but not as powerful as the TP and EVO.
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
So after reading alittle I decided to go with a Elite 1500 2/3A 8 pack instead of the lipo.

Kinda nervous with all of the lipo warnings and cautions you have to take
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:43 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
The jumper ATIS is referring to is located behind the plugs for the servos and if running Lipos needs to be removed. This jumper controls the cutoff voltage for the ESC.
If the jumper is present, it's for NiMH batteries, removed is for Lipo batteries.
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:00 PM
All Glory to HypnoToad!
New Plymouth, ID
Joined Apr 2005
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh
The jumper ATIS is referring to is located behind the plugs for the servos and if running Lipos needs to be removed. This jumper controls the cutoff voltage for the ESC.
If the jumper is present, it's for NiMH batteries, removed is for Lipo batteries.
Would anyone happen to know exactly what that cutoff voltage is with the jumper removed?

Rod
osmenthe is offline Find More Posts by osmenthe
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:14 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
When the jumper is present the auto-cut is set at about 5.7 volts, which works with 6- to 9-cell Ni-MH battery packs. When the jumper is absent, the auto cut is set at about 8.8 volts, which will function correctly with a 3S Li-Po Battery. The battery should be able to safely deliver 13 amps of current.
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Oct 01, 2007, 07:46 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I use a TP 3s 2100 lipo in my Girlfriends SC...(the "Alert" thread in this section about the secret)... I carved some on the foam out going towards the motor and still use the battery door to secure the lipo.

For a lipo charger the Triton Jr is awesome... its my favorite out of 3 different lipo chargers...
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Oct 25, 2007, 01:41 AM
Fly low and slow ?
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2007
149 Posts
does anyone have a pic of the jumper that is to be removed for li-po use?
If so please post.

thanks
motoman97 is offline Find More Posts by motoman97
Old Oct 27, 2007, 01:13 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
Remove the only jumper on the receiver also remove the two wires with plugs above the jumper for the act.
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Oct 27, 2007, 05:42 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,285 Posts
Your talking of 15min. on a 3s 2100 ?I get 14 min. on a 8 cell 1000 part# PKZ 1023 And always land w/power...RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Oct 29, 2007, 07:19 PM
Fly low and slow ?
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2007
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
Remove the only jumper on the receiver also remove the two wires with plugs above the jumper for the act.

Thanks I'll chek that and remove Assured Crush Technology connectors
motoman97 is offline Find More Posts by motoman97