HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2002, 06:45 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
Wright Flyer #3

While recently reviewing some old peanut plans thats been laying around for years I came across plans for a 13 inch model of the Wright Flyer #3 (First aircraft to successfully complete a figure 8) circa 1905. I was wanting a new indoor bird kinda different and I guess this may hit it right on the head. Went to Kinkos and blew the plans up 220 percent. Six dollars later and I'm ready to go. The little bird below had a span of 29.5 inches and a length of 21 inches. As you see by the photo its not all complete yet, still have the power system to add (can't make up mind as to a single engine (GWS-A with pulleys and belt drive to props) or two DC5.2-4 with prop drives) and still have to create a set of right and left hand props. All up weight should be under six ounces as bird sets at 50 grams now. Have a couple S-50 servos, receiver and an ESC to add and she will be powered by an N6PT 7.2 volt Sanyo battery or something newer when available. Pilot is ready to cut out and add a few pretties here and there but should be ready to fly in week or so. Thought ya'll might like to see the little gem and I'll fill you in on the flight report when that is done. If anything, it'll look nice hanging over the fireplace if things don't work out. Contstuction is basswood and balsa with a little carbon fibre thrown in for good measure. Covering is Litespan held on with Balsaloc. All curved basswood is soaked and wrapped around cardboard shapes to get shapes. Basically followed freeflight construction techniques throughout. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2002, 06:47 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
Another view. eec
Old Dec 01, 2002, 10:21 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Hey great job! I'm planning on doing the same thing but with foam board, and a little bigger. Hopefully I'll get it fllying my Dec. 17, 2003, the 100th anniverary of powered flight.

-Brett
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Dec 02, 2002, 01:35 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,951 Posts
Ed,

Beautiful job!

Let me know if you ever want to sell it.

Regards.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Dec 09, 2002, 09:24 PM
Woodland, CA , USA
Joined Sep 2001
288 Posts
1/24 scale coming

Ed, Beautiful job!!!

FYI,

Arizona Model Aircrafters has just released a 1/12 scale @ 41". R/C electric w/ wing warping and all, designed by Andy Clancy and Jaime Johnston.

Check the website and this ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1925078301

The picture on the cover of the instructions is of the first prototype kit I built. The pics in the eBay listing are of the R/C version I finished a couple of weeks ago.

As well, the first 1/24 size laser kits should be about ready for test building.

More soon, Steve.
weflyon is offline Find More Posts by weflyon
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:04 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Seen at Carvin/France - a model of the Wright Flyer - built and flown by Christian Veyssiere. . With the Wright Flyer flying right before my Concorde, I think we covered quite a bit of aviation history. Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 11, 2002, 06:21 AM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
Gents, thank you all for the comments, had item on hold for last week or so while a friend (Bob Wilder) helped me with a little problem. I had prototyped the dual prop drive assembly with commerically available pulleys. Everything worked beautifully but was a little heavy. Bob went back and created new pulleys a fifth of the weight of that I had worked up, I also had to build up the blades for a pair of props (right and left hand)which I hate to do. The bird will fly using the GWS A motor and drive swinging 2 seven inch props. Test have proved that it will work just take a little longer than putting a couple of motors on hung mounts between the wings. I also am working up another little indoor jet for the EDF-50 at the same time and work is calling for 10 hours day. Hard finding times to play especially during the holiday season. Happy Holidays! ed
Old Dec 11, 2002, 05:23 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Beatifull Ed, maybe i can come out and see that one time. i really want to see the little jet.
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
Old Dec 15, 2002, 06:30 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
Well gents here are a few more shot of the Flyer as it draws near completion. At present, all I like is to finish up on the prop hubs and build a launching trolley for the bird. I will not hand launch this little thing. She comes in at 6.4 ounces ready to roll with a N6PT Sanyo 120 mah pack on board. Should have it flying by Christmas. Put a five minute run on the drive system last evening and it came through with flying colors. Will be building up several more set of props this week with different shapes and pitch to try and get the best thrust I can for the little bird. Wish me luck and happy holidays. ed
Old Dec 15, 2002, 06:34 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
Aft side
Old Dec 15, 2002, 06:40 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
Down the throat, sorry guys for taking up so much space, but she is such a beautiful little bird! Although only standoff scale at most, its been a few years since I have spent this much time on one of the little flyers. About 40 hours to complete. eec
Old Dec 16, 2002, 02:48 PM
Ceredigion, Wales.
Joined Oct 2000
349 Posts
Lovely model Ed. Lots of luck and Happy Christmas. Arthur
Arthur is offline Find More Posts by Arthur
Old Dec 17, 2002, 04:31 PM
London,England,UK
Joined Jan 2001
81 Posts
Hi Arthur

It was nice to see you both last Saturday .

Its a lovely plane isn't it.

regards

andy
andyUK is offline Find More Posts by andyUK
Old Jan 28, 2003, 07:16 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,551 Posts
The Real Deal

HOLY COW!!!!

Ed's model looks like the full-scale bird, shrunk-down to model size. It's unbeleiveable! Pictures don't do it justice. I saw it last Saturday, and I'm STILL flabbergasted. Ed even made his own opposite pitch props, which are counter-rotating via an ingenious belt drive and pulley system.

AWESOME work Ed!

Pictures don't do it justice, but here's another one, anyway.

Gary

P.S. I feel like such an amateur!
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Last edited by sr71fan; Jan 28, 2003 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 07:43 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,242 Posts
A LOVELY PLANE... but in the 1911.... the pilot was sit over the wing in a chair...and was to 2 crew....
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio