HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:20 AM
resistance is futile!
Essen, Germany
Joined Jan 2004
363 Posts
Build Log
1/72 P-51D build thread

I' going to build a P-51D in 1/72 scale and will document the building steps in this thread. Beside the Micromoth, which has never flown, this is my second real micro model and i hope this time the plane does what it's made for: flying!
I'm shure that with a peace of advice of the more experienced guys here in this forum i will be able to make it fly.
The picture i've added is a preliminary version of the P-51D. I've made my own patterns for the plane, because it was to difficult for me to colorize the pattern of Robert (rguillot). As soon as the pattern are 'final' i will post them here in this thead.

Tanis

PS: Any criticism / advise and comments are highly desired!
Tanis is offline Find More Posts by Tanis
Last edited by Tanis; Oct 01, 2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: change category to 'Build Log'
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2007, 07:57 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Östersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
920 Posts
Looking really nice.
I just bought silver tissuepaper and i am setting up my printer just now. Just for a tiny P51. I gues i have to "wing" the rest of the colors.
Looking forward for Your plans
/Ulf
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:04 AM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
Looks good so far. Get a hold of a 1/72 plastic kit and use the canopy as a plug for making a lightweight canopy from heatshrink.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:07 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Guten Tag. looks nice,i know of one person (forgot the name) who was able to get a simmilar sized P-51 to fly, but there are probably many more. Viel Glück mit Ihrem Projekt

"resistance is futile!" your not a borg by any chance are you?(just kidding)
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:32 AM
resistance is futile!
Essen, Germany
Joined Jan 2004
363 Posts
methuso: you will have to wait a few days, because i've to add some more decals to the fuse and remove some 'design-errors' from the pattern, but i hope waiting a bit is worth it...

epilot: thank you for the tip! If the kits are'nt too expensive, i'll try to get one for making the canopy. I have to make a 'big' order in the near future and as allway's im low on budget!

Yellow Baron: nice to read some german here! I guess the person you mentioned is rguillot here in the forum, but i'm far from making as good looking and flying models as he makes! The models from rguillot are the reason for me to make such a small model. I'm infected with a new Virus!
I'm not Borg, but i try to assimilate every good technologie for my projects. The signature beneath the avatar is only to describe the schematic!

Tanis
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:16 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Yellow Baron: nice to read some german here! I guess the person you mentioned is rguillot here in the forum, but i'm far from making as good looking and flying models as he makes! The models from rguillot are the reason for me to make such a small model. I'm infected with a new Virus! I'm not Borg, but i try to assimilate every good technologie for my projects. The signature beneath the avatar is only to describe the schematic!
You can thank my grandfather (who is mostly the reason I took German in school)(he served in Germany durring WWII) and Mr. Mischke who taught me for the past 3 years(in high school) and the German teacher in the middle school who taught me for 2 years before that.

Rcguillot sounds right (is his avatar pic a P-51 model on a white background?)

I had to bring upthe Borg thing My brother is a treky I figured that it was to accompany the schematic.

Auf Wiedersehen (thanks E-Pilot) Yellow Baron
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Oct 03, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:31 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Östersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
920 Posts
well.. i redesigned a PDF and pu some colors in from 414812 here http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/p51.shtml.
BUT didnt stick to the silver tissue... user hairspray (a little to much thou) ang i got a little better result... but i gues i've to hand paint it.. maybe just with a black marker.
now i just have to check how much weight the tissue adds to the airframe.

/Ulf
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:20 AM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,983 Posts
Auf Wiedersehen

And since I'm Danish and Ulf is Swedish:

På gensyn
Hej du
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
Good luck with the build Tanis, cant wait for the patterns...

Lycka till med bygget Ulf!

I must build a 1/72 myself soon.

Magnus
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Old Sep 30, 2007, 01:36 PM
resistance is futile!
Essen, Germany
Joined Jan 2004
363 Posts
Because of the shops in Essen were open for trading this sunday, i had to make a shopping tour with my wife and my daughter. Normally i hate shopping tours, but today i was happy about that. I've looked for a 1/72 plastic kit of the P-51D but could'nt find any. As i was searching for a Plastic Kit, my wife looked at the die cast models and guess what: she found a 1/72 die cast model of the P-51D for only 2,50€ !
I've made a test to make a shinktube canopy for my model and the result is very good! It fit's perfect. Now i have to order some clear shrink tube too, because the yellow one i have here does not look that good as canopy. Thanks again to Michael for this tip!
Picture will follow tomorrow, because my cam does horrible pictures under artificial ligth.

Tanis
Old Sep 30, 2007, 01:53 PM
The ceiling is the limit!
South of England
Joined Aug 2004
1,237 Posts
I have been searching for a p51 1/72nd plastic kit since early June and have not been able to find one. I go down to my lhs every day but always come back empty handed. If anyone knows where to get one I would be very greatful.

many thanks

Alex
micromad is offline Find More Posts by micromad
Old Sep 30, 2007, 01:59 PM
resistance is futile!
Essen, Germany
Joined Jan 2004
363 Posts
Alex,

we have a 'plastic model shop' here, wich was closed today. I'm shure i can get plastic kit's of the P-51 there. Next week i'll go and check this. If he carries the models, i could buy one and send it to you (no additional charge, except modelprice an shipping).

Tanis
Old Sep 30, 2007, 02:09 PM
The ceiling is the limit!
South of England
Joined Aug 2004
1,237 Posts
Thanks for your generous offer Tanis but I cant start anything new. I need to finish off my half built ones first. Five minutes ago I just made a very large order from Michael so that I can get the parts to finish off my models. I must have about 5 airframes sitting around waiting for equipement. Two of them I'm very pleased with, one is a tiny horten flying wing and the other is a 1/72nd hellcat which I'm building for f14 Tomcat, I will post details soon as soon as I've finished them.

many thanks

Alex
micromad is offline Find More Posts by micromad
Old Sep 30, 2007, 03:17 PM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micromad
I have been searching for a p51 1/72nd plastic kit since early June and have not been able to find one. I go down to my lhs every day but always come back empty handed. If anyone knows where to get one I would be very greatful.

many thanks

Alex

Alex contact Brookhurst hobbies.

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/

They are local for me and they have a very large military model selection.

If they won't ship to you then maybe we can work out something.

I feel I owe you one for all of your inspiration you've given me with the 1/72 scale spit.

James
Butters is offline Find More Posts by Butters
Old Sep 30, 2007, 03:59 PM
Brooklyn NY
Joined Feb 2004
892 Posts
Your P51 looks nice Tanis. The shape of the fuse, the camber, all looks right. I never built a flying plane with wallfoam, though I made a few airframes. It was a little soft for my taste, and it soaks up paint like a sponge. Your ironing technique solves that problem. Your plane actually looks kind of "silvery" though I know you can't print silver with a regular inkjet printer. I've done some tests painting foam silver, applying a clear inkjet coating, but then you can't print white either Maybe mask first and "pray" for good registration?...too complicated!

Michael is exactly right about the canopy. That's how I make all mine. When I don't have a kit I just whittle/sand one out of wood. Did you get the canopy off the model? Otherwise you'd have a radius at the perimeter. I glue the canopy to a piece of wood, then after it's shrunk, andbefore I cut it off, I use thin silver mylar tape and apply strips of tape to the canopy. Any thin tape would do.

Here's a hot tip: On Plantraco's new website they are selling the Micro Butterfly prop, which was designed by Martin Newell for the MK04-10 4mm motor. Unlike the PiccoZ prop it's RH and looks more normal on a plane, I've tested them on a lot of planes in the 3g range and it's a winner.

I use EPP foam blocks in the nose to hold the motor. It will take shock and is light. I "sharpen" a 4mm motor can and twist it through the block after it's glued in. I got a sample kit of different densities from someone online (can't remember where). I'm always finding more applications for it. Great stuff.

Best advice I can give you is get the CG right. See photo. It may be a little different with the wallfoam but that will be close. Also I'd recommend a 3mm ID coil with one 2mmx1mm magnet, and Plantraco .38g rx and 20mAh FR cell. Not too many options for planes at this weight.

One last thing: This plane needs more right thrust than usual. I think mine has 3-4 degrees (same DT) and it still needs a little right trim to get it flying straight.

Good luck,
Robert

PS: The silver tissue reminds me of a Hughes H-1 racer I built but never flew (too small tail surfaces!) I also had trouble getting the ink to print well on the silver tissue.
rguillot is offline Find More Posts by rguillot