SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:22 PM
Airstrip One, Oceania
Joined Feb 2004
24 Posts
Discussion
Engineering Basics for a 1/5 scale

Hello all,
So I'm a freshman mechanical engineering student at RPI in NY. I've been into RC for a bunch of years now, but never RC cars. Long story short, I now have full access to our student machine shop, which houses lathes, mills, and metal tools beyond my wildest dreams.

Since I have four years (at least) left here, I thought a really rewarding (and cost-effective) project would be to custom build a 1/5 scale car. Accompanying machining skills would also be CAD and basic engineering/research skills. And since I have mostly free (or very cheap) access to aluminum, costs would not be bad.

For now I need some basic specs for a 1/5 scale car. Wheelbase, length, width, diameter of tires would be a start. I am most interested in a "touring car" parking lot type car. If you have plans or know of anywhere to get them, they would be extremely helpful as well. Plans would be excellent because they would show where people generally place drive components on the chassis to get good balance on the chassis.

The chassis design has still not been decided (tube vs. milled aluminum pan). Personally I think tube would be better for me and I know that's how plenty of custom 1/5 scale cars are built. I have read that I can use 3/8" (?) steel tubing from any Lowe's or Home Depot... and I'm hoping that can be bent by hand, or at least easily without special tubing benders?

Certain specific parts will be purchased so I will need to make my design around those parts. Examples include shocks, engine, transmission (if there is one), rear differential (if there is one), wheels, braking system and obviously radio gear. I figure the engine will come from a chainsaw or weedwacker, and I will use the stock centrifugal clutch that comes installed on the engine.

So hopefully with this information you will understand the kinds of things I will need to know before I can start designing. Thanks in advance!
SeenMCrash is offline Find More Posts by SeenMCrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2007, 07:44 PM
Airstrip One, Oceania
Joined Feb 2004
24 Posts
Update!

I am now the proud owner of a roughly 20cc weedwacker engine. It runs surprisingly well; once I got it back home it started on the first pull with the shaft disconnected. Powerplant is secured!
Old Sep 29, 2007, 08:07 PM
birdy customs
princeton texas
Joined Feb 2007
124 Posts
hey i have that same motor.but mines all modded out and more to come.and thats the car its going into..its a 1/4 scale though. this one i used 1/2 inch conduit from homedepot.i bent it with a 60 tubing bender.the bender was like 15 bucks!oh and that motor doesnt have a clutch. i have a husqavarna that has a clutch.but the old homelite dont.
bigmodman is offline Find More Posts by bigmodman
Old Sep 29, 2007, 09:08 PM
Airstrip One, Oceania
Joined Feb 2004
24 Posts
Hey, that's excellent pictures and good to know there is a future with this engine. But any suggestions for a clutch? If I can get one of the right size, chances are that I can turn some kind of adapter for it no problem.

Oh, and what do you mean by a 60 tubing bender? Can you please provide a link? Thanks
Last edited by SeenMCrash; Sep 29, 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 09:36 PM
birdy customs
princeton texas
Joined Feb 2007
124 Posts
www.elcon-models.com/?q=taxonomy/view/or/9&from=8 theres a clutch and other stuff. yeah that motor has gone through some extensive modding but it will keep up with all the high perform motors.

the bender can be found at home depot.its a 1/2 inch conduit bender.

heres another bender that bends more than just 1/2 in and more angles.

www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200256024_200256024
bigmodman is offline Find More Posts by bigmodman
Old Oct 09, 2007, 11:02 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined Feb 2006
92 Posts
Wow, its been a long time since I logged into this forum, I was looking on more large scale info myself.

I am a senior aerospace engineering student at OU, and an employee in our aero/mech engineering machine shop. My official title is CNC equipment operator. The best thing you can do for yourself is get a job at your machine shop, then the boss will encourage you to build cool stuff. Learn to TIG weld.

I am working on a close to 1/4 scale buggy, 36in long, 36 cc chainsaw engine, with tuned pipe. I plan on using 1/2" .049" wall tubing for the chassis, and 3/8" tubing for the suspension arms, and milling out rear hub carriers. I plan on a belt drive around 8:1. I am working on a CAD model right now, kinda rough, but it gives an idea of scale. good luck man.
Offroadbear is offline Find More Posts by Offroadbear
Old Dec 07, 2007, 12:29 AM
CHINA
Joined Nov 2007
31 Posts
Excuse me~ How much of this engine?
makelele is offline Find More Posts by makelele
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:34 AM
mishawaka indiana
Joined Apr 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadbear
Wow, its been a long time since I logged into this forum, I was looking on more large scale info myself.

I am a senior aerospace engineering student at OU, and an employee in our aero/mech engineering machine shop. My official title is CNC equipment operator. The best thing you can do for yourself is get a job at your machine shop, then the boss will encourage you to build cool stuff. Learn to TIG weld.

I am working on a close to 1/4 scale buggy, 36in long, 36 cc chainsaw engine, with tuned pipe. I plan on using 1/2" .049" wall tubing for the chassis, and 3/8" tubing for the suspension arms, and milling out rear hub carriers. I plan on a belt drive around 8:1. I am working on a CAD model right now, kinda rough, but it gives an idea of scale. good luck man.
Same here, I havent been here for some time,,Offroadbear, I will be building a few types of 1/4 scale cars within a year or soo, I will also be building a sand rail/buggy. And it will sport the Stihl MS-390 64.1cc engine with a solid state electronic egnition, With a onboard electric starter. If you would like to chat about it feel free to send me a Email or PM, Here is my site also, www.quarterscaleberetta.com

BigModMan,,, Hey buddy how's it going? Is that a little homelite there? wow just think how much faster your latemodel will be when I get that engine for you, It's closer to a 60cc,,, Anyhow just thought I would bug you a little on this, ( You know what I'm talking about ) hehehe. QSPSB
stoneyberk is offline Find More Posts by stoneyberk
Old Nov 25, 2009, 09:30 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2 Posts
Plans

New to this site, how you going guys.
Looking for plans to build a chainsaw buggy.Can anybody help?
Thanks
buildit is offline Find More Posts by buildit
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:29 PM
►☺◄
Australia, QLD
Joined Jun 2009
312 Posts
Hi.

Most people don't really draw plans as such.
I think you're best off just having a look around the web for pictures of other builds and go from there.

Get the motor and rear wheels set up first and work forward.
Seems to work in my experience.

Oh and post pictures.
We love pictures.

Here's my cars.

In progress
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1094170

On the ground and running.
This one started out as a side project consisting mainly of parts from a couple of toy RC cars and a small motor and gradually evolved in to a full homebuild.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124404
D.V.P is offline Find More Posts by D.V.P
Old Nov 27, 2009, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2008
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenMCrash View Post
Update!

I am now the proud owner of a roughly 20cc weedwacker engine. It runs surprisingly well; once I got it back home it started on the first pull with the shaft disconnected. Powerplant is secured!
That engine dosen't even have a clutch on it. You need a Homelite with a black shroud on it or buy a conversion kit.The kit come with the right shroud and a shaft for a clutch but it costs more than what you spend on the motor. So keep looking.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer