HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Discussion
Team30 Micro EDF 12" Douglas Skyray - Video now online!

Update - 26/01/2008: Video added to thread here

I started building this a little while ago but it slowed due to recent work commitments. It is a holiday weekend here so I hope to make a little more progress now.

Using CN's larger Pusher Ray as a build guide to get this one up and running quickly I drew up the model using a 3 view and went from there (CN's Skyray outline was outta whack as his 3 view was not correct).

The power plant is an EDF30 using a Mighty Midget DF motor. It's light and has plenty of poke for it's size. All depron is 1.67mm.

I started with the main wing and mounted the 2mm CF spar into it. I lined the DF unit up and it looks good to go at this size.

I attached the nose plate, top fuse former and top fuse panels next.

I mounted the DF unit into the fuse. I can't close the bottom up till the r/c gear is in. I also had been working on the graphic/decal set and was pretty happy with the finish. I just had to stick it on the rudder and have a look at the result.

I stripped down the AR6100 and my ESC and hooked them up ready to mount into the fuse. Just the Servo's to solder up and I'll mount it all in.

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Last edited by NitroCharged; Sep 13, 2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Video added to thread!
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:26 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,026 Posts
lookin good as always, Nitro. but, when did you build the time machine, that has allowed you to build all these models? and when can i borrow it?

nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:40 PM
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2004
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
lookin good as always, Nitro. but, when did you build the time machine, that has allowed you to build all these models? and when can i borrow it?

nick
lol....

Nitro, is rest of this one going to be full fuse, or profile?
shockflyer12345 is offline Find More Posts by shockflyer12345
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:14 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Full Fuse. It gets closed up around the R/C gear. I'm just trying to work out the best place to stick the servo's and then I'll know if I have to lengthen the leads to the RXer. Once I've done that I can close it up. I'll make a foam cockpit for now and plug out a plastic one later.

Hey Nick - I'm just trying to keep up with you and Mike at the moment! LOL
Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:12 AM
Max
Joined Jul 2006
408 Posts
Hey Nitro ! What's the weight of the equipment ? ESC + RX ? And which battery will you use and how much that weights ?

I've soldered Pentium 6 and Corona's 4ch RX Yesterday (lightened them pretty much) and got 7.5 gr for complete RX and ESC including connectors for the battery and motor (same motor that you use here ). Will solder the servos to the RX to save some weight there too.

Thanks for the build log.
msurguy is offline Find More Posts by msurguy
Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:37 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I had to mount a pair like this. The geometry worked out a lot better than trying to deal with the horn swinging through such a large angle.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
Hey Nick - I'm just trying to keep up with you.... LOL
riiiiight, you and Mike are passing me by so fast, you're about to go Plaid

nick
(hoping there's other spaceballs movie fans that'll get that...)
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,633 Posts
Looks great Nitro! What's the wing area, it looks like it's pretty big. I'm doing some comparisons of wing loading and power loading to come up with some basic guidelines for edf's.
Mike
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Last edited by mcross; Sep 29, 2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:01 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,079 Posts
Basic guidelines?
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:04 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,633 Posts
Sorry, misspelled it, fixed.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:08 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,079 Posts
sorry, I didn't really want to post, just if you are looking for guidelines, take into account my 16'' 250g L-39 It might be far off in the general trend...

Chris
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:29 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
"Go to Ludicrous Speed!".... classic line!
So many lines are classics from that movie.

Max, I use 300mah 20C, 2 cell lipo's, stripped down to weigh 16grams. I have a few for sale in my hobbybox store as I bought heaps without thinking. Cursed CC card impulses.....
The weight of the ESC, Rxer and wiring is 7.5g. Unfortunately, due to the CG - I needed to make the power leads really long as the lipo will be in the cockpit area and the r/c gear just in front of the DF unit, so this added 2.4g to it. Without the long leads it all weighs 5.1g.

Mike T, nice one - I was working around the same area of the model to keep the controls internal as belly landings might tear something off in the grass. I was thinking of gluing the rod from the delta surface directly down the servo hole but was going to test first to see if it had smooth travel.

Mike C, when I cut out the wing I thought the same thing. It looks huge. I straight away thought about going down to 10". I haven't worked out area but will do.
Old Oct 02, 2007, 03:28 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,612 Posts
Nice concept!

Being a Canuck, I'm going to have to see if I can do a 1/48th scale Avro Arrow for indoors, either as a pusher of EDF.

First off, anything that I should consider for a first attempt at a model in this size?

Also, you mention a "Mighty Midget" motor, have you got a URL for this?

Thanks and keep the updates coming!
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Oct 03, 2007, 06:52 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Dave,
The Skyray is looking good.

Byrocat,
Mighty Midget BL motors are available in the US from BSDmicroRC. Mighty Midget develped a special BL motor for the 30mm GWS ducted fan. BSD sells this motor and the fan. Sky Hooks & Rigging in Canada sells the MM motors. But, I'm not sure they sell the ducted fan motor and matching fan at the present.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 06, 2007, 03:41 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Since my last post I have continued working on the graphic/decal set. Today I was half way through soldering up extension leads to the BA servo's when the batteries went flat in my pencil soldering iron so I have to bide my time while they recharge.
Hopefully, I will get more done tommorrow.