HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:24 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Discussion
The 200+ Club

Well we finally flew Erik's plane today. We started off with the spinner giving problems, so it was decided to go without it this flight. It's a Graupner collet spinner and the back of it runs great, but put the plastic cone on and things aren't happy. I did balance it, but still it wasn't acceptable.

Anyhow, one of the retracts didn't lock up either and the cg turned out over conservative requiring a lot of up trim, but the plane was flying quite well and I made some passes. Oh yeah, did I mention Erik made me fly it? Yep, normally I'd only be very nervous, but this is another level. The Neu 2215 actually scares me and this is a first! Wow does this have power! It's swinging an 8.8 x 10 without breaking a sweat (but nearly the speed of sound!) and the torque effect on take off took me a bit by surprise -I was a little late with the rudder. So anyway, with no spinner, one gear hanging just a little and a trembling pilot, it did 226 mph. I never opened the throttle full until I had it going towards us and not much of a dive either. I can see this plane going quite a bit faster when everything is working right.

At about 3 minutes, I lost power. There was just enough to make it around for landing and I had it right down the middle, but...
That one gear didn't lock down either, so I sratched the chin and one wing tip on landing when it gave way. It's not bad and we could have taped it up and flew again if the battery pack wasn't so hot. It turns out to be the weakest link right now and it might even be toast, but I have my fingers crossed.

MT has some video that we'll get posted soon.

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:54 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Steve

Quite impressive as this does not follow the F5D airframe exactly. Looks like brute strength got you there along with plenty of room for lipos/bats.

Maybe Mr. Neu will put you up on his top speed list at www.neumotors.com!!!

B
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:09 PM
Ain't Dutch? Ain't Mutch!
Southampton, UK
Joined Oct 2001
3,384 Posts
That is sick!
Kimble_Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Kimble_Schmitz
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:41 PM
That motor isn't hot...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Aug 2005
425 Posts
Where d'ya get one of those planes!?!?!?!?!?!
Coolest looking thing this side of the black stump!
cheers
rosco
rosco is offline Find More Posts by rosco
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:42 PM
10' a slope does not make
Winter Park, FL USA
Joined Mar 1999
299 Posts
Waiting for video, specifically to hear the high-speed pass.

Congrats on a beautiful ship - you proven that not everything performance related has to be a stick with wings!
stavros is offline Find More Posts by stavros
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:31 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Thanks guys.

Indeed, the fuselage is no large penalty at these speeds. It's actually very wide also which you can't see in that picture. There is enough room for the 3 -3S 5000 packs to be stacked side by side so the whole battery is right on top of the wing.

I didn't know Steve had a list. I hope it's not for "official" speed records only, as this is considerably over the wing loading limit. However, it sure looks like it will claim top bragging rights soon!

rosco,
We couldn't get anything like this, so we made it ourselves, even the prop. You'll see most of the planes going over 200mph are custom built, which is not to say you could not buy one but it's not exactly "off the shelf".

Steve C
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:02 PM
Oversquare if you dare
Earthbound
Joined Jul 2006
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco
Coolest looking thing this side of the black stump!
rosco
"From Wikipedia,
The Australian expression 'black stump' is the name for an imaginary point beyond which the country is considered remote or uncivilised, an abstract marker of the limits of established settlement."

I've never heard the expression.

I like it.

J.
Pitchspeeder is offline Find More Posts by Pitchspeeder
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
Joined Aug 2004
757 Posts
I was pleased to see my child finally fly. It has been in Steve's womb for a long time but I don't mind because it's such a beautiful child. I asked Steve to make a mold of the fuselage so there is potential to make more of these, but again we did not make the wing so that would be another issue.

It looks like clean aerodynamics and good workmanship got us there even without an F5D airframe.

I wanted lots of battery room compared to the Vendetta. (And room for the big fat Neu BAM). This shape also has minimal drag for a larger fuselage.

The spinner is a 60mm (2.36 inch) Graupner. So it has a decent amount of flat frontal area. I think the drag will go down by a decent amount with a spinner on there giving us some much better speeds.

Steve designed and made that full carbon fiber 8.8 X 10 prop (NICE!!!) We might even go with a little more pitch if needed. (Steve doesn't know this yet) I doubt it though. Overall, it was great and the plane did everything I hoped for.
Best of all??....NO FLUTTER.

I was holding the radar gun and Mark was doing video so hopefully we'll see something soon.
Thanks Mark!!!
Incredible work Steve!!

Erik
jetdryvr is offline Find More Posts by jetdryvr
Last edited by jetdryvr; Sep 28, 2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:37 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
Congrats, you guys! I was almost going to post a "hurry up and fly it" note but you beat me to the punch. I hope to see this beast fly some day.

Steve, how was the over all feeling of the plane? Pitch, roll, and landing speed?

Spinners are so over-rated.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:18 AM
Finland
Joined Jan 2006
85 Posts
I have olso retracts on my F3D Dago. I use them only for take off. And then bellylanding on the gras. Thats the only way keep them alive.
samuelx is offline Find More Posts by samuelx
Old Sep 28, 2007, 05:17 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
284 Posts
Congratulations! I would love to see the video. Please do not put a heavy soundtrack under it

Marc
allintheair is offline Find More Posts by allintheair
Old Sep 28, 2007, 06:21 AM
That motor isn't hot...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Aug 2005
425 Posts
Steve C, I would love to buy one...me thinks you fella's have a bit more spending money than me. Give me a couple of years to sharpen my flying, and I'll race ya

P.S. did I say that plane is VERY nice congrats for the hard work.

cheers
rosco
rosco is offline Find More Posts by rosco
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:36 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
AWESOME effort !!

Can't wait to see the video's and a new report when everything is "cleaned" up a bit
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:32 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments. It's been a lot of work for just one flight so far, but I guess this is the nature of trying to push the limits. I'm very happy that we have the plane for another try! Things can end very quickly at that speed and it was nice to have avoided a flutter problem so far.

Troy, this thing feels like it won't fly when you pick it up, but besides being really nose heavy, it flew nice. There was no wind to contend with, but there has been quite a bit of thermal activitly lately, not that you could tell with this one. It flew like a computer simulation. Nothing moved it from it's path! Under power, the control harmony is very good, but when I took it up high for a low speed test, it did loose aileron control and took a bit to get it back when the nose dropped. The rudder is pretty effective, but the sweep of the wing combined with dihedral seemed to make unwanted roll inputs. I touched it once on the approach and it excited a bit of a wobble, so I left it alone for the rest of the landing. It needs to be tested at a higher altitude where rolling on it's back wouldn't be such a bad thing. All it needs is more elevator for landing flare and I think a cg adjustment will sure help that. If you were wondering about how long it floats on landing, I can't say for sure (since I ran out of float control ) , but I don't think it will go forever like Mark F's plane. Mark's has 30% more wing area than this one and probably weighs a pound less.

Steve C
Old Sep 28, 2007, 05:19 PM
Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2001
913 Posts
Sorry for the delay, guys. Apparently, the problems SteveC was having with his computer have found their way to mine . . . my video editing software is being a serious PITA, and after several attempts, the best I can do for now is short clips of the 3 speed passes.

Anyway, congrats to Erik and Steve . . . the plane is gorgeous, flys great, and has much more speed potential in it.

Videos can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...86#post8261275

Enjoy.

Mark
MarcusT is offline Find More Posts by MarcusT