HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2008, 08:40 AM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerj
<<snip>> The 10x7 gives me a little more flight time, and is less stress on the ESC, battery, and motor.<<snip>>
How much flight time are you getting??? I'm already getting 18 minutes per flight on my 2100 3s1p packs (not more than 80% discharge)! By that time I'm tired and want to land anyway.
bronicabill is offline Find More Posts by bronicabill
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2008, 09:20 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,218 Posts
450 on Floats

Shoot, I'm flying mine off the water on a Park 450 with a 10x7 APC Slo-Fly prop. Plenty of power. I flew it off a grass field for several months with the stock wheels and pants. Never had a problem with the gear.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old May 26, 2008, 10:10 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer49
I am also a firm believer in Arf mod's. Noticed in Fly R/C article featuring the taylorcraft, no cowl screws were visible. Can you elaborate on how you accomplished using magnets for cowl? Have good quantity of magnets but this cowl seems to have a mind of it's own - would appreciate any input you could give. Have already rebuilt the landing gear mounting area in the fuse because it is obvious that is a weak point. Will also acknowledge that elevator joiner wire will have to be replaced. Have had the same problem on 3 other E-flight planes with the gear mountng area and elevator joiner wires. Hinge job on mine is very poor - Ailerons are so tight that in order to get reccomended throw, the end of the aileron distorts and the covering wrinkles because it doees'nt have enough clearance. The gap is TOO SMALL between aileron and wing. Plywood wing joiner was very sloppy fit - Tossed that one in the trash & made a decent replacement. Have replaced the wheels and axels also, to accomodate 2 1/4" size wheels (Dave brown lightweigt foam wheels seem to work great!). from experience with other e-flite etc aircraft, I can do touch and go's off our grass field with the stock wheel pants. I'm not trying to criticise the taylorcraft, it"s just that in order to have a really great flying airplane that holds up well, I always make lots of mods that save me a lot of grief later and reward me with an aircraft that will be reliable and predictable for a thousand flights. I am sure that when my taylorcraft is finished it will be as flyable and durable as my others.
Homer49,

Here are some pictures of how I installed the cowl with magnets; I used 3/8" dia x .2" magnet from allelectroncs.com. I added some scrap material on the firewall to hold the magnets and locating dowels (3). Once you have the piece for the inside of the cowl I drilled the locating holes and glued the magnets and dowels in, then slide the cowl on and use some Zap to tack the inner light play. To make it easier I waited to glue the magnets inside the cowl until after the light plywood piece was thoughly glued.

Enjoy,
Dennis
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old May 26, 2008, 10:32 AM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,024 Posts
Guru,

What kind of field are you flying off? It doesn't take much in the way of grass or small divets to damage landing gear. Saw a 30% edge (glow) at our club land in the "tall" grass the other day ... slow as a parkflyer landing ... and the gear tore clean off.

Repair the gear and get her flying again! You only need the wheels on the ground.

Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_guru
Hi All, I maidened my Taylorcraft today. I am used to confortably flying my other planes, including the Mini-Pulse that I took the gear out to put in this one, at half throttle. This Taylorcraft needed 3/4 or more to get around the field. If you are on the fence on power system I would try the 480 instaed of the 450 I used. It rolls surprisingly well. Did not try a loop. I got three good flights in and had her trimed out well. The plane balanced perfect with my 2100mah battery. On the fourth flight I had a bit of wind gust on landing, not a hard landing by any means, and the gear ripped right off. My Mini-Pulse was tender in this area also. I will fix her after I get some matching covering, but this is the last eflite balsa plane I will buy, at least until they learn to design better. Shame on eflite. Does anyone have a recomendation on what would be a good high wing plane to get to put my gear in?
cfossa is online now Find More Posts by cfossa
Old May 26, 2008, 01:58 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,218 Posts
Gee, Ida no, Homer. Sounds like a little bit of overkill to me.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old May 26, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hold my Beer and watch this!
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfossa
Guru,

What kind of field are you flying off? It doesn't take much in the way of grass or small divets to damage landing gear. Saw a 30% edge (glow) at our club land in the "tall" grass the other day ... slow as a parkflyer landing ... and the gear tore clean off.

Repair the gear and get her flying again! You only need the wheels on the ground.

Carl
The field is very smooth, very short grass. I double checked my prop and I am runing an eflite 10X8e, the same as I had on my Mini-pulse. It felt like a real dog in the air and I had to give a lot of up trim to get her to fly "hands-off", but it was not acting nose heavy. It suer did look pretty though, in fact I stoped by hobby USA in Ashland Ma. to pick up a new one today I'll re-maiden later this week. I am going to use nylon bolts for the landing gear becasue I have proven to myself that the wheel pants will not poke thru the wing like it would on my mini-pulse if they snap. Maybe I am just use to faster planes like my T-28 and the Taylorcraft really won't fall out of the sky at half throttle I guess I iwll find out
silent_guru is online now Find More Posts by silent_guru
Old May 26, 2008, 02:52 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,871 Posts
If your Taylorcraft falls out of the sky at half-throttle there is something very wrong. I can takeoff on our grass field at half throttle. WOT makes a bullet out of the plane. What condition are your lipos in?
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old May 26, 2008, 02:59 PM
AMA 16192
Madison, AL
Joined Oct 2003
100 Posts
Quote:
The field is very smooth, very short grass. I double checked my prop and I am runing an eflite 10X8e, the same as I had on my Mini-pulse. It felt like a real dog in the air and I had to give a lot of up trim to get her to fly "hands-off", but it was not acting nose heavy. <<snip>>
Still sounds like something is wrong though. A misalignment somewhere or improper incidence if the balance is right! Mine balances at 2.675" from the LE which is exactly in the middle of the recommended range, and it has maybe two clicks of up trim; only visible if you put a straight edge across the top of the horizontal stab! It flies hands-off at this setting and climbs gently at full throttle, just as it should.
bronicabill is offline Find More Posts by bronicabill
Old May 26, 2008, 03:33 PM
Berne, NY
Joined Sep 2004
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronicabill
How much flight time are you getting??? I'm already getting 18 minutes per flight on my 2100 3s1p packs (not more than 80% discharge)! By that time I'm tired and want to land anyway.

About 25 minutes if I am careful. I usually land and go up again. 2 Flights per charge
schoonerj is offline Find More Posts by schoonerj
Old May 26, 2008, 04:22 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner
Homer49,

Here are some pictures of how I installed the cowl with magnets; I used 3/8" dia x .2" magnet from allelectroncs.com. I added some scrap material on the firewall to hold the magnets and locating dowels (3). Once you have the piece for the inside of the cowl I drilled the locating holes and glued the magnets and dowels in, then slide the cowl on and use some Zap to tack the inner light play. To make it easier I waited to glue the magnets inside the cowl until after the light plywood piece was thoughly glued.

Enjoy,
Dennis
I like that cowl mounting method dsumner.
Good idea.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old May 26, 2008, 04:26 PM
Live free or die.
The act or process of locating
Joined Jan 2007
136 Posts
Quote:
... not a hard landing by any means, and the gear ripped right off. My Mini-Pulse was tender in this area also ...
I have both the Taylorcraft and the Mini Pulse as well. I do a LOT of touch and go passes with all of my planes and although I'm no professional, I'm not too bad at it and landing in general. I've had the gear rip out on both planes from less than perfect landings - by no means crashes. I reinforced the gear mount area with plywood on the Taylorcraft and have had no problems since - so definitely don't give up on it, it's a fantastic plane. The gear struts will bend now instead of cracking wood.

The Taylorcraft has probably the thickest gear struts of any of my planes and it would never bend before doing damage to the fuselage before I reinforced the wood. I'll have to do this to the Mini Pulse as well because there's a crack that's starting to widen - but it's held up in stock form much better, maybe due to the thinner gear struts that bend easier. My GP Ultimate Bipe has really thin struts and I've never had any problem because they bend way before breaking any wood. I'm pretty sure all three of these planes are around the same AUW for me - about 30oz. I guess I could have just gone with thinner gear instead of beefing up the mount area.

- Scott
TheDBA is offline Find More Posts by TheDBA
Old May 26, 2008, 04:28 PM
Live free or die.
The act or process of locating
Joined Jan 2007
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
I like that cowl mounting method dsumner.
Good idea.

Tim
The GP Ultimate Bipe uses that method as well. Works great.

- Scott
TheDBA is offline Find More Posts by TheDBA
Old May 26, 2008, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
36 Posts
Very nice photos Dennis!
Cubby888 is offline Find More Posts by Cubby888
Old May 26, 2008, 09:05 PM
Joined Jun 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
The field is very smooth, very short grass. I double checked my prop and I am runing an eflite 10X8e, the same as I had on my Mini-pulse. It felt like a real dog in the air and I had to give a lot of up trim to get her to fly "hands-off", but it was not acting nose heavy. It suer did look pretty though, in fact I stoped by hobby USA in Ashland Ma. to pick up a new one today I'll re-maiden later this week. I am going to use nylon bolts for the landing gear becasue I have proven to myself that the wheel pants will not poke thru the wing like it would on my mini-pulse if they snap. Maybe I am just use to faster planes like my T-28 and the Taylorcraft really won't fall out of the sky at half throttle I guess I iwll find out
i Had that problem and ended up moving the batt. back and across the landing gear (under the pilot seat) its still just a touch nose heavy but it fly great
I run a HXT 35*36C motor and a 2200 zippy packs but once I got that down its been great I still need maybe 2 notches of of elevator but I can live with that as far as the gear goes I run 2.5" tires and there great on the rough stuff and I Epoxied the sh&* out of the cross brace on my second one and I have not had I problem sense and I have bent the gear alot but never had it come out of the plane!! and rember IT COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE (see My 1st T-Craft) but the gear stayed attached!!
here's A short Video of the 2nd one
http://rcuvideos.com/item/DTNKX955JDT5RNK7
moogly is offline Find More Posts by moogly
Last edited by moogly; May 26, 2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:05 PM
NTSB most wanted
O-Town, FL
Joined Jun 2003
642 Posts
Just got mine done over the weekend.

Went with the 480 and recommended 12x6 prop. Prop seems kinda overkill though...
EzEd is offline Find More Posts by EzEd